Has Magico lost its Touch?

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com

HenryD

Aug 29, 2020
In my room, the bass is phenomenal. Deep, rich, and tuneful. They are about 3 feet from the rear wall.

HenryD

Aug 29, 2020
I don’t value any single trait in particular, but the bass did stand out (but so is the mids), particularly compared to the other contenders I was considering.

Reactions: AMR / iFi audio

DeYoung

VIP/Donor
Feb 20, 2019
KY
Just because a couple of semi-famous reviewers/commentators change the speakers in their systems from Magico..
Means absolutely...squatt!...Nada..nothing....zero... so what's the big deal?
I guess i should feel..bad?...mmmm dont think so.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Just because a couple of semi-famous reviewers/commentators change the speakers in their systems from Magico..
Means absolutely...squatt!...Nada..nothing....zero... so what's the big deal?
I guess i should feel..bad?...mmmm dont think so.
Just means Magico is not spending enough on marketing ! ;)

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Reactions: Lagonda

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
They need some obsessive fanboys to bombard the forums. :D

They get found out pretty fast, as they have heard less gear and/or get lost in the music and recording discussions

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
They get found out pretty fast, as they have heard less gear and/or get lost in the music and recording discussions
Yes a seasoned WBF member, like you ,can spot the professional fanboy pretty fast, but the average reader might fall for the BS. They tend to post the same "user reviews" and loaded questions/answers in several forums simultaneously. There should be extra trophy points awarded for calling out fake owners, and dealers/advertisers not declaring their real company ties ! ;)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Yes a seasoned WBF member, like you ,can spot the professional fanboy pretty fast, but the average reader might fall for the BS. They tend to post the same "user reviews" and loaded questions/answers in several forums simultaneously. There should be extra trophy points awarded for calling out fake owners, and dealers/advertisers not declaring their real company ties ! ;)

Ok, I wasn't referring to fake owners or dealers, but actual Magico owners. By obsessive fanboys I thought he was just referring to those who owned the gear and posted excitedly about it as it was the ultimate because they had paid a lot for it

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Do I need to hide? :eek:

Reactions: Lagonda

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Do I need to hide? :eek:
You don't persistently BS, you never did Bob. :) And you are up front about your new business venture, your enthusiasm is also palpable real, not this fake " gobsmacked" you see from others every time a new $100 K latest upgrade in the never ending product line is presented !:rolleyes:

Reactions: Bobvin

Bartolo

Jan 31, 2019
I see that Peter A and now Myles B Astor have moved away from their Magico speakers as have some on Audioshark. Even Jay did not really like the M6's and now luv's the Wilson XLF's.

Words like " natural" , " lifelike" , "musical" " free flowing" seem to be part of the new speakers descriptors, but not Magico.

Has Magico lost it's audiophile touch?
They can speak for themselves, and have, but many of us after a few years of hearing "something," find it fun to hear "something else."
That's why I only lease my car now -- it ensures that I'll drive something different every 3 years. That's all!

TLi

May 27, 2016
I used M Project for three years and changed to M6 when it was first launched.

In the meantime I listened to many other speakers including the launch event of Wilson Audio XVX in Tokyo. M6 is still serving in my listening room, while I have changed my pre amp and power amp to top Constellation and my turntable to TechDAS Air Force Zero.

M6 position is never threatened. I still think it is the best speaker in my room.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
You have quite a magnificent system! Wow!

I have heard the Constellation Altair and Hercules in a system I did not know well, but the overall system was pretty tremendous. I am not an analogue person (at all), but have been invited to hear the AF Zero in an XVX system...looking forward to it.

Did you have thoughts about M6 and XVX? Sounds like you've heard them in different systems, so not asking for anything definitive but you clearly have some serious experience so any 'listening notes' would be appreciated.

TLi

May 27, 2016
You have quite a magnificent system! Wow!

I have heard the Constellation Altair and Hercules in a system I did not know well, but the overall system was pretty tremendous. I am not an analogue person (at all), but have been invited to hear the AF Zero in an XVX system...looking forward to it.

Did you have thoughts about M6 and XVX? Sounds like you've heard them in different systems, so not asking for anything definitive but you clearly have some serious experience so any 'listening notes' would be appreciated.
In November 2019, Daryl Wilson presented XVX in Tokyo HiFi Show. The equipment used at the time were Constellation Altair II and Hercules II with Air Force Zero. The sound was impressive. It was not the typical Wilson Audio sound that I familiar with. I used Alexia for some time before switching to M Project.

The overall presentation was a detailed and musical picture. A few months later, I had an audition session in my local Wilson Audio dealer just with me alone to listen to XVX. The new midrange driver gave a warmer sound. Upper end was extended but not edgy. Bass was well controlled. At the time, XVX was driven by CH Precision 1.1 amps.

There are many similarities between M6 and XVX. M6 has a little higher resolution while sound stage is better with XVX. I think the development of high end speakers is all pointing at a common goal. Carbon monocoque chassis of M6 has an advantage over the array arrangement of XVX. The scaffolding design reduces the rigidity of mount for mid range and tweeter drivers. Resolution is reduced.

After the event in Tokyo, I upgraded my pre amp, power amp to Constellation, turntable to Air Force Zero. M6 is still here.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
In November 2019, Daryl Wilson presented XVX in Tokyo HiFi Show. The equipment used at the time were Constellation Altair II and Hercules II with Air Force Zero. The sound was impressive. It was not the typical Wilson Audio sound that I familiar with. I used Alexia for some time before switching to M Project.

The overall presentation was a detailed and musical picture. A few months later, I had an audition session in my local Wilson Audio dealer just with me alone to listen to XVX. The new midrange driver gave a warmer sound. Upper end was extended but not edgy. Bass was well controlled. At the time, XVX was driven by CH Precision 1.1 amps.

There are many similarities between M6 and XVX. M6 has a little higher resolution while sound stage is better with XVX. I think the development of high end speakers is all pointing at a common goal. Carbon monocoque chassis of M6 has an advantage over the array arrangement of XVX. The scaffolding design reduces the rigidity of mount for mid range and tweeter drivers. Resolution is reduced.

After the event in Tokyo, I upgraded my pre amp, power amp to Constellation, turntable to Air Force Zero. M6 is still here.
Congratulations on the zero.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

Thanks for this description, very interesting! How would you describe the bass of the M6 in comparison wih the bass of the XVX? In reviews the latter has been particularly lauded for its impact and realism, as something that makes it stand apart from almost any other speakers.

Robert Harley for example, in his TAS review, talks about an unparalleled rendition of drums. His usual reference speakers are the Magico Q7 Mk II, I believe.

Reactions: MadFloyd

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing