Harvey aka 'Hxt1' from Vancouver BC

Hxt1

Nov 28, 2011
Vancouver B.C.
Hi there, I stumbled across this forum whilst in the acute stages of 'reel to reel tape machine psychosis' I'm still not completely in my 'right mind'

I am, I suppose, a Military Brat. Dad was in the Army and later Air Force, where he worked at radar bases as an Electronics Tech.
When we lived in Baltimore, Maryland Dad got serious about audio.
My earliest memories revolve around vinyl, speakers, and Amps.
My dad always built his own speakers, and also built amplifiers and eq's.
He had a side business selling reel to reel tapes and early VHS type tapes that the military would use once, then discard. He would fly erase them and resell them, and of course they were much higher quality that commercially available tape at the time (mid 70's)
So everyone in the hi fi an broadcasting community knew the old man, and he often took me with him, in tow, to sell/trade tape, and buy records an audio gear.
I kind of grew up in audio and record stores. Good memories.
As a teenager I always had decent, ever evolving mid fi systems.
But I didnt get 'into' audio until fairly recently.
I got the bug when I stumbled upon 6moons... At the time I had a Harmon Kardon solid state receiver, some mid grade B&W speakers and a cd/DVD player.
After exploring tubes, and finally, getting back into vinyl, I became curious about the whole SET/horns thing..... And that's where I'm at now.
I'm also an avid 'hack' (DIY'er) so my speakers and turntable are both pretty well self made. I've discovered the law of diminishing returns, been there and back.
I actually managed to reach audio perfection in 2005!!!
I had a system with PERFECT synergy! The amp, speakers, preamp were all made for each other! I had just gotten an audio note dac with 'upgrade company' mods, and a custom transport to match, and the sound I was getting was so palpable... So 'real' that time literally ceased to exist.... The skies opened up, and Jesus beams shot down, bathing my basement suite in a heavenly glow....
Then I decided to upgrade my interconnects....
I've been trying to get back there ever since!

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
I actually managed to reach audio perfection in 2005!!!
I had a system with PERFECT synergy! The amp, speakers, preamp were all made for each other! I had just gotten an audio note dac with 'upgrade company' mods, and a custom transport to match, and the sound I was getting was so palpable... So 'real' that time literally ceased to exist.... The skies opened up, and Jesus beams shot down, bathing my basement suite in a heavenly glow....
Then I decided to upgrade my interconnects....
I've been trying to get back there ever since!
You have my sympathies, Harvey! I've been there many times, I know exactly what you're talking about, and trust me, though many in the forum wouldn't, you CAN get back to that point. Part of the reason why everything came together in that moment was that the state of the various components was just right at that moment for the sound quality barrier to be broken through, and you got the "good stuff".

A lot of my posts on this forum over the last year or so have been about achieving that state, and the sort of things you need to try, and the sort of approach you need to adopt: you might like to check some of them out ...

You may have been here before, but the following is a simple version of a method that MAY work. Bring everything up to full operating status, the amps and speakers run for long enough that they've stabilised from your knowledge of their behaviour. Then switch power off to everything, and as quick as you can reseat all the connections, by unplugging and replugging, interconnects, speaker cable, power cables at both ends. Switch everything back on straightaway, and flick and turn every control on the gear that you can; then take a breath and have a listen, see what you've got ...

Best of luck,
Frank

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Great story Harvey! Have a big fat WELCOME from me! :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing