Mar 28, 2012

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

rnsa2000

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2012
Hi Ricardo,

Great system! And very nice listening area!

May I know what is the material on the frontwall? Seems to be good for acoustics. Thanks.

CK

Hi CKKeung,

thanks for your comments.

The material on the frontwall is a wood panel, the nome is Teka Lascado. It's very good for acoustic.

Nice regards,
Ricardo.

rnsa2000

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2012

rnsa2000

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2012
Hi Guys,

I'm with Kalliope DAC in my system to make tests two weeks, I guess that is the DAC with a 400H. I already feel a little more comfortable talking this exceptional product.

Had started some tests using a MacMini as a source and connected via USB cable for the Purist, even newly unpacked it already proved quite superlative and well worth the extra special attention. At this time already noticed clearly much ambience, organicity and an amazing stage.

Then was placed Esoteric K-03 and Gryphon Mikado, both as transportation for digital output and in this configuration the Kalliope began to show its real potential. Some details I began to notice was better timbres very correct, the stage was much deeper and three dimensional, the decays of notes were spectacular, more air between the instruments and a focus and absurdities clipping.

Anyway, there are still a few adjustments in relation to digital cable and a digital transport to be made, but certainly one of the best, if not the best digital player I've ever had the opportunity to hear.

As more changes are happening here, I'll post my impressions.

Nice and best regards,
Ricardo Nonato.

Down Under

Jun 26, 2014
Hi Ricardo,
any further observations on your Kalliope Dac.You might be interested in the 2 reviews posted on the Gryphon website recently of the Kalliope.
Ross.

rnsa2000

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2012
Hi Ross,

I have noticed many positive features about Kalliope. The main points are: organicity, naturally, the sound is very analog and very accurate.

I'm using the Mikado Signature as transport, I can assure you that comes very close to my Bergmann Sleipner with Gryphon Legato Legacy SA, but for now the advantage is the Bergmann. I'm very curious to test the Aurender S10 or W20, but have not had that opportunity, I suppose that the result is spectacular.

I had read the two reviews you mentioned, are really very interesting.

Best and nice regards,
Ricardo.

rnsa2000

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2012
Hi guys,

Today I heard a phrase from a friend, who knows very well my system and I found it very interesting. He told me that Kalliope never makes us remember that listening is a digital source and that this is the largest search it in the digital world.

I was impressed with his comments, because he has a lot of experience in high-end world, he is a renowned manufacturer of cables here in Brazil. The name of your cables is Douglas Cables, which I use throughout my system.

Best regards,
Ricardo.

Down Under

Jun 26, 2014
Thanks Ricardo for your reply.I did not know you had the Legacy phono stage nor the new turntable-congratulations.Did you listen to any other phono stages in the process of buying the Legacy?Also was it difficult to get the LEMO connectors fitted?
I heard the Kalliope vs the full Vivaldi stack using only the Vivaldi transport with the Kalliope.While both are outstanding I thought that the Gryphon gave more flesh and bones to the music being played as well as more detail.Very good indeed and made me want to reach for the cheque book!
Regards,
Ross

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks Ricardo for your reply.I did not know you had the Legacy phono stage nor the new turntable-congratulations.Did you listen to any other phono stages in the process of buying the Legacy?Also was it difficult to get the LEMO connectors fitted?
I heard the Kalliope vs the full Vivaldi stack using only the Vivaldi transport with the Kalliope.While both are outstanding I thought that the Gryphon gave more flesh and bones to the music being played as well as more detail.Very good indeed and made me want to reach for the cheque book!
Regards,
Ross

Wow...that is quite something. I have heard the full Vivaldi and Scarlatti stacks. I have not heard the Gryphon Kalliope...would surely be fun to hear. Did you reach for the check book in the end?

Down Under

Jun 26, 2014
Not yet!
The Vivaldi stack was easily the best digital I had heard up to that point,but the Kalliope made Vivaldi sound slightly thin in comparison.
There was more "technicolor" with richer musical tones sounding more analog-like to use that cliche.
I was surprised that there was also more detail.
Having heard MSB,Weiss,Thrax and DCS on more than one occasion the Kalliope would be my first choice.
Ross

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Not yet!
The Vivaldi stack was easily the best digital I had heard up to that point,but the Kalliope made Vivaldi sound slightly thin in comparison.
There was more "technicolor" with richer musical tones sounding more analog-like to use that cliche.
I was surprised that there was also more detail.
Having heard MSB,Weiss,Thrax and DCS on more than one occasion the Kalliope would be my first choice.
Ross
Have you heard the Stahl-Tek digital? It uses the similar chip to Kalliope...and the original Stahl-Tek Vekian (5 generations old now)was stunningly impressive, and I instinctively was more drawn to it than the Scarlatti which was its competitor at that time. I know 2 industry pros who have said Stahl Tek Opus is the closest to tape they have heard in digital playback.

rnsa2000

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2012
Regards,
Ross

Ross,

I heard this set mounted in the dealer's showroom, so I decided to keep this same configuration. The Gryphon provides the Lemo connectors, my TT has balanced outputs. The cable manufacturer here in Brazil made ??a phono cable with XLR terminations on one side and Lemo terminations in the other side.

Congratulations for having the possibility to make a comparison between Kalliope and the Vivaldi Stack, at this level of equipment small details make a big difference.

Nice regards,
Ricardo.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
I heard Kalliope in similar set up to mine with my files

Macbook air to kalliope with Goldmund 1000 monoblocks, CLX anniversary and idescent sub

Was very impressed

Very detailed yet in the service of timbre and understanding

Fast and incredibly dynamic

Several others there, with high end systems said it was the best dac they had heard especially with files

I have not heard the vivaldi, only scarlatti so cannot comment on this comparison

Down Under

Jun 26, 2014
Sorry for the late reply but have been in the air for 38 plus hrs-no fun at all.
Have not heard of the Stahl-Tek,but will investigate-thanks for the tip.
Ross.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Sorry for the late reply but have been in the air for 38 plus hrs-no fun at all.
Have not heard of the Stahl-Tek,but will investigate-thanks for the tip.
Ross.

If you're from Downunder, i dont know if you've got them in Aussieland, but Audio Exotics out of Hong Kong is a big distributor of them.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
I am running the Stahl Tek Opus prime CDT & DAC , in one word "Stunning" . An undiscovered gem , worth looking up .

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing