Gryphon Kalliope's In The House!!!!!

rnsa2000

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2012
Friends,

The Kalliope arrived, now it's just wait the burn-in and enjoy. Initially I will be using my MacMini until I decide on what to use (Aurender, CAPS, Amare Music, etc ...). Some suggestions are welcome.

For now I will be using the Light Harmonic USB cable, because Kalliope has its own power supply for USB.

Some photos:

foto 1.JPG

foto 2.JPG

foto 3.JPG

foto 4.JPG

foto 5.JPG

rnsa2000

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2012
foto 6.JPG

foto 7.JPG

foto 8.JPG

foto 9.JPG

sly30

Jun 18, 2012
You will be very happy. I'm useing it few months. For me the best DAC on market.

rnsa2000

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2012
Thank's.

What music server are you using with your Kalliope?

Best regards,
Ricardo.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Wow, congrats !

I think the caps V3 (but fitted with a Jcat USB card, instead of SOtM, and running the Windows Server 2012 + AO) would be a good start, provided you are not affraid of computers !

sly30

Jun 18, 2012
Thank's.

What music server are you using with your Kalliope?

Best regards,
Ricardo.

Now i use Linn Akurate DS but only as transport with BNC cable Stealth Varidg Sextet. Sounds great. If on market will be something better than i will try. Why not, but not computer.

rnsa2000

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2012
Wow, congrats !

I think the caps V3 (but fitted with a Jcat USB card, instead of SOtM, and running the Windows Server 2012 + AO) would be a good start, provided you are not affraid of computers !

Adam,

thank's for the valuable information. Could you tell me how to install the AO? Are you using Red Wine power supply?

In your opinion, with this configuration CAPS V3 would be the same level of Aurender S10?

Best regards,
Ricardo.

rnsa2000

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2012
Now i use Linn Akurate DS but only as transport with BNC cable Stealth Varidg Sextet. Sounds great. If on market will be something better than i will try. Why not, but not computer.

Thank's!!!!!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Congrats!!! Fantastic news. Enjoy!

sly30

Jun 18, 2012
Adam,

thank's for the valuable information. Could you tell me how to install the AO? Are you using Red Wine power supply?

In your opinion, with this configuration CAPS V3 would be the same level of Aurender S10?

Best regards,
Ricardo.

Forget S10! I tested it by USB and it played worst than Akurate DS by BNC digital output. Maybe Aurender W20 is better but i didn't test it.

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
Ricardo,
Before W20 , I have had for few month S10 which is very good server imo compared to Windows 7 64 bit with Jplay I used before. Sure, If you follow Adam's recommendation , your will problably go very close to S10 or even outperform it.
We argue already with Sly for long time on our polish forum about Akurate vs S10 , in my opinion S10 is not bad at all :) and even better than Akurate. There are mixed opinions about the supremacy of streaming data vs playing them from a transport like Aurender . Chris Connaker from Computer Audiophile in his W20 review points out as follows :

"For example, I recently received a ~$10,000 audio product for review with built-in WiFi. When the WiFi is enabled but unconfigured a very audible ticking noise can be heard through the right channel. Once the WiFi is configured this noise is reduced greatly but can still be heard with an ear close to the right tweeter. Disabling WiFi on this component eliminates the noise. No such noise can be heard through the Aurender. The moral of the story is, computer components are electrically noisy. The ability of the Aurender team to craft its own motherboard featuring only the capabilities required for audio reproduction and to layout the board for the best electrical performance separates the men from the boys. Powering this motherboard is a high quality switch mode power supply. This supply only powers the motherboard, hard drives, and front panel OLED display."

However , if only you can afford it , W20 will be the best commercial server for Kalliope imo. I also have given Kalliope a few days listen at home fed from W20 and it's really an outstanding dac .
I like my Audio Aero La Fontaine very much and want to keep a cd transport which La Fontaine has , but Kalliope was closer to my preferences than Vivaldi DAC.
If W20 is a bit pricey than you might consider a new X100 L from Aurender which is less expensive than S10 and has a proprietary usb audio board from W20.
Enjoy your Kalliope:)

Last edited:

sly30

Jun 18, 2012
I'm sure that S10 is worst than Akurate DS. I had it about 2 weeks and compare many times. marslo is talking about Akrate DS with internal DAC vs S10 with external high end DAC. Than maybe, i don't know, couse i didn't compare this way, becouse it is non sens compare full player with only transport. Aurender S10 via USB compare Linn Akurate DS as transport via BNC digital cable, both connected to high end DACs shows that S10 is only good, but Linn is much better. Now on market is Aurender W20 and final of this comparism can be different. I don't know.

flyer

VIP/Donor
Dec 16, 2012
Belgium
why not trying the Totaldac Server, worked wonders at my place! You can test it for 10 days and return if you are not happy. Enjoy.

rnsa2000

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2012
Miguel,

I didn't know that the USB output Aurender S10 was lower than other outputs. Good information.

Actually I'm studying the players currently available to make a decision, the Aurender is on my list.

Thanks for the congrats!!!

Best regards,
Ricardo.

reverendo

Mar 10, 2014
Dallas, TX
congrats Ricardo,
will be waiting on your opinion.
you just might be surprised as to what a SBT with external PSU and EDO might do. that's what I use at home and my computer stays in the office.
just my 2 cents.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Ricardo Nonato - I should have the new Aurender X100 this week to compare it my my Audiophile Optimised CAPS V3 with JCat USB card. I will let you know.

Aurender wins hands down in terms of ease of use.

rnsa2000

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2012
congrats Ricardo,
will be waiting on your opinion.
you just might be surprised as to what a SBT with external PSU and EDO might do. that's what I use at home and my computer stays in the office.
just my 2 cents.

reverendo,

thanks you very much for the congrats. I'll be doing some tests with Kalliope this week, I'm with Kalliope, K-03, Mikado and the Bergmann Slipner. I took some pictures and I'll post the photos here to exchange some opinions and experiences.

What would be the SBT and EDO?

Let's keep in touch. :)

Nice and best regards,
Ricardo.

rnsa2000

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2012
Ricardo Nonato - I should have the new Aurender X100 this week to compare it my my Audiophile Optimised CAPS V3 with JCat USB card. I will let you know.

Aurender wins hands down in terms of ease of use.

Adam,

I would be very grateful for your impressions, I'm very interested in knowing the outcome of this comparative.

Thank you and best regards,
Ricardo.

reverendo

Mar 10, 2014
Dallas, TX
reverendo,

thanks you very much for the congrats. I'll be doing some tests with Kalliope this week, I'm with Kalliope, K-03, Mikado and the Bergmann Slipner. I took some pictures and I'll post the photos here to exchange some opinions and experiences.

What would be the SBT and EDO?

Let's keep in touch. :)

Nice and best regards,
Ricardo.
Hi Ricardo,
SBT = Squeezebox Touch. EDO is a kernel that allows you to use the SBT with USB output. It is surprisingly good and has the wonderful and easy interface of the Squeezebox.
Hope hearing from you

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing