Gryphon Diablo 300 - 5.5 years of ownership

redwick

Aug 16, 2021
This is my first post here. I wanted to summarise 5 1/2 years of ownership and describe some of the frustrations as well as the very good.

I bought the Diablo 300 with the DAC module in 2016 after an audition of several heavyweight integrateds as I already knew about Gryphon and their reputation having heard Cantatas a long time ago. I also have the older Mojo loudspeakers so the Diablo looked like the perfect match. I wanted the DAC too after having heard the Scorpio CD player in anticipation of a good chunk of Calliope performance. So I breathed in and took the plunge.

From the point of view of sound qualityt it's by far the best integrated I've owned. All the hi-fi stuff is there - detail, soundstage, 3D imaging and speed but it also just gets out of the way of the music. I'm sure owners will no doubt concur with this. The DAC is also exceptional. Fed with a good quality signal (I'm using a DCS Network Bridge) every little detail is laid bare. I used to feed it through the USB input but found I preferred AES from the Bridge and I'm quite happy with 24/96 or 24/192. The Mojo's like volume and control but I'm often astonished by how good the system sounds at low volume. It didn't really take that long for the amplifier or DAC to reach stable operational performance either. So I would have no hesitation in recommending this amplifier to anyone who appreciates good sound and wants an integrated DAC. The dedicated sub out is very useful to as I also have an Audio Physic Rhea 2 for deep bass duty.

Now the irritations. Gryphon have made it very difficult to perform firmware upgrades. There is no exterior USB input and if the amplifier is within warranty it MUST be done by a qualified Gryphon technician or dealer. I've had it updated once and I remember it involved a special USB key. The top panel was removed and then a jumper from the main board which is actually quite tricky to do. The key was inserted into a socket on the board and the upgrade completed on a power cycle. The owner does not have a copy of the software so cannot roll it back in case of problems. The big issue for me is that the amp needed to go back to the dealer which is not a trivial task. I've also had a couple of operational issues. One is where the amp stops responding to the remote control although the relays click. And another where the display dims which makes it almost impossible to see. These issues happen very occasionally and can be reset by power cycling but other than that it's been faultless and the heat generated is a lot less than I expected although I would recommend at least four inches clearance from the top of the amplifier. I would also recommend that you do NOT use a power conditioner. Connect this amplifier direct to the wall socket preferably on a dedicated circuit.

My only other recommendation concerns the Mojos. Keep them away from the back wall toed in towards the listener as recommended by Gryphon. And go for the low setting on the resistors - 22Ohm at the top and 10 Ohm at the bottom. Happy days. The only negative is the original Mojo stands which are really quite poor for a premium product and if I was to replace anything it would be the stands. They do work if you fill them with sand or lead shot.

Qobuz sounds particularly good using this setup and I also have a QNAP NAS with SSD for local streaming. I find using a double router setup very beneficial.

I'm sure the Essence separates are better but I'm quite happy with the Diablo 300 and I've heard nothing else in the last five years that would persuade me to change. So unless I win the lottery I'm done.

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
Gryphon makes some incredible gear. Glad you have enjoyed your ownership. Hopefully Gryphon will improve on the update.

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
Welcome to WBF, redwick. I have also enjoyed a Diablo 300 (IMO a killer product for the money) since Gryphon's re-entry to the US market about 4.5 years ago. My Diablo experience has been faultless (no firmware updates needed or installed), perhaps because I chose not to incorporate the optional DAC or phono module. I was interested in the DAC, but felt DAC technology was evolving faster than amp technology, so I chose to keep the two separate. The 300 drives Magico S3 MkII speakers, and the combination has been all I hoped for. I second your characterization of the Diablo's sound. The low volume aspect has been a pleasant surprise.

Reactions: aangen

redwick

Aug 16, 2021
Welcome to WBF, redwick. I have also enjoyed a Diablo 300 (IMO a killer product for the money) since Gryphon's re-entry to the US market about 4.5 years ago. My Diablo experience has been faultless (no firmware updates needed or installed), perhaps because I chose not to incorporate the optional DAC or phono module. I was interested in the DAC, but felt DAC technology was evolving faster than amp technology, so I chose to keep the two separate. The 300 drives Magico S3 MkII speakers, and the combination has been all I hoped for. I second your characterization of the Diablo's sound. The low volume aspect has been a pleasant surprise.
The firmware upgrade was for the amplifier not the DAC.

I agree with your comments on DAC technology but I'm not a box swapper and I'm happy to keep things simple and neat with the one box solution.

For my room the Mojo speakers and subwoofer are perfect.

Reactions: aangen

kairosman

Oct 12, 2020
Vancouver, Canada
Just bought a 300 to pair with a set of new B&W 804 D4s (I upgraded from the D3s) after auditioning them together at my dealer for an 8 hour stretch on Tuesday. The audition was a non-stop pleasure train bordering on orgasmic even though the source files were streamed via Roon, which is not very good software for ultimate SQ unless used just for HQ up-sampling. Listened to every conceivable genre and file type, everything sounded jaw dropping regardless. The 300 replaces a Modwright/BAT pre/power stack in my home system. Just, wow. Btw, for anyone interested in what a long-time B&W owner thinks of the D4 lineup, it is a major upgrade in sound, and also build quality with the 804 and 805. Don't let anyone without a long track record of B&W ownership tell you otherwise.

Reactions: bmarq

bmarq

Dec 29, 2018
Also, a Diablo 300 user here. I have the Dac Module ran by the EMM Labs NS1 Streamer. Very happy with the sound I’m getting. I tried a good amount of high-end speaker cables with it to run my Verity Parsifal Anniversary’s but nothing has been able to beat DIY Japanese Silver Cables. It just sings. Transparent, natural while being vivid, realistic timbre and balanced sound from top to bottom with great extension in the frequency extremes.

redwick

Aug 16, 2021
Has anyone seen any operating problems with the 300? Mine was a fairly early example which might explain why I have a few niggles. I'm also curious about the cables people are using into the DAC. I am getting nice results even with a cheap Mogami cable. I abandoned USB once I got a DCS Network Bridge and started using AES. I am contemplating a more expensive cable which I can't audition in advance. Is it going to make any difference?

bmarq

Dec 29, 2018
@redwick No operational problems, so far.

Got a great deal for the Inakustik Reference Air Aes cable. Have not been able to compare it with anything else other than a cheap QED optical and the sound of the Inakustic was much better as expected. Bigger soundstage, more depth and texture, smoother, …etc. The QED became unlistenable.

Reactions: Scott Naylor

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
I also own a Diablo 300, i didn't find a better integrated in this price range to drive my difficult Thiel CS 3.7s.
Very happy about the Diablo 300 and should keep it several years before upgrading.
I also own the Gryphon VIP SC and IC and will have to part with them as they are not a good match for my speakers.

Reactions: bmarq

Rdk777

Jul 9, 2019
So how do I know if my Diablo 300 needs a firmware update? I've had my unit since 2019 and the only issue I had was that I needed a replacement remote as the original remote just stopped working. Was covered under warranty.

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
So how do I know if my Diablo 300 needs a firmware update? I've had my unit since 2019 and the only issue I had was that I needed a replacement remote as the original remote just stopped working. Was covered under warranty.
I asked about this update and received the following from Gryphon's Sales Director, Rune Skov:

"The firmware update was applied to all new units from October 2021.
The firmware update allows you to use the Diablo 300 as a power amplifier through Input 3 (XLR) as well. In the past it was only possible to use the Diablo 300 as a power amplifier through input 2 (RCA).
The firmware update can be done by a skilled Authorized Gryphon Technichain and will require a KeyFob from our side."

Rdk777

Jul 9, 2019
Thanks for the info. I'd be interested in the update but not if I have to mail in my amp. I'll call the distributor and see what they say.

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
Thanks for the info. I'd be interested in the update but not if I have to mail in my amp. I'll call the distributor and see what they say.
Sending the beast in for an unneeded added function update just to have an 'up-to-date' Diablo 300 is not in the cards for me. Gryphon needs to incorporate user firmware upgradeability into their newer product offerings.

redwick

Aug 16, 2021
Sending the beast in for an unneeded added function update just to have an 'up-to-date' Diablo 300 is not in the cards for me. Gryphon needs to incorporate user firmware upgradeability into their newer product offerings.
This was exactly my point. Gryphon haven't made a good design decision. I certainly won't be dismantling my rack and posting or delivering the lump to a dealer. If you can get hold of a keyfob you can do it yourself but you will invalidate your warranty.

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
This was exactly my point. Gryphon haven't made a good design decision. I certainly won't be dismantling my rack and posting or delivering the lump to a dealer. If you can get hold of a keyfob you can do it yourself but you will invalidate your warranty.
If your dealer is close, I would think they would make a house call.

missionvalleyguy

Jun 9, 2021
San Diego, CA
systems.audiogon.com
Just an FYI, I called the Gryphon dealer in Southern California, Joseph Cali Systems in West Hollywood, and they can do the firmware update in store so you don't need to ship your Diablo 300 to Denmark. Joseph said they need to order the keyfob from Denmark, then it is mailed to them so they can perform the update so it takes some time to arrive. I'm picking up a Diablo 300 tomorrow from a private seller in Orange County and I'll likely do this so I can use the XLR input on the 300 connected to my home theater processor, the Marantz AV8805.

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
If your dealer is close, I would think they would make a house call.
My dealer was 700 miles away.... until the great US Gryphon dealer purge. Now I have no dealer. Don't need the new function, so no harm, no foul.

jeffhk

Feb 27, 2022
Hong Kong
I asked about this update and received the following from Gryphon's Sales Director, Rune Skov:

"The firmware update was applied to all new units from October 2021.
The firmware update allows you to use the Diablo 300 as a power amplifier through Input 3 (XLR) as well. In the past it was only possible to use the Diablo 300 as a power amplifier through input 2 (RCA).
The firmware update can be done by a skilled Authorized Gryphon Technichain and will require a KeyFob from our side."
I wonder if he's got his numbers mixed up there? I bought my Diablo 300 in 2019, I've connected the pre-outs on my AVR to input 3 (RCA) on the Diablo. Only inputs 1 & 2 are XLR. Like the others above I have no use for the firmware update at this moment as my AVR only has RCA for pre-outs, but it's nice to know it's available if required.

drrsutliff

May 6, 2013
Fleming Island, FL
Yes you are correct. The RCA with the pass through option on my Diablo 300 is input 3. The only XLR inputs are 1 and 2 so the upgrade will allow input 2 have the option to bypass the internal preamp section. I currently do not have the need for this option so this upgrade is not critical in my current system configuration. Maybe they will eventually allow owners to do the upgrades at home with some dealer or factory guidance.

scroon

Jun 18, 2022
Another Diablo 300 user here, had mine since 2017. Added the DAC module later on. I stumbled across this Youtube site Fever Sound from HK (using auto translate for subtitle) talking about the Zena as pre with the Diablo 300 as power amp. The tuber reckons the use case scenario (with upgraded firmware) allows the flexibility/selectable input 2 or 3, thus retaining the use of AV bypass if input 2 is used. This is my understanding as currently the AV bypass is fixed on input 3.

SQ wise, been very satisfied the devil. From the DAC modeule perspective, I've heard better DAC costing less, but integrating very thing in one unit is rather nice and neat. I gotten tired of turning on the Mac Mini and TV to drive my music collection to feed the DAC , I've since added DCS Bartok to my mix.

SQ comparing the Bartok to DAC module, the Bartok is more musical while the DAC module can come cross as more analytical to my ears. I won't notice anything is missing without Bartok. Could have gone Holo Spring/ Denefrips/Aqua R2R DAC route but ultimately usability/convenient of the streaming feature plus SQ of the Bartok won me over.

Happy listening.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing