Gryphon Audio Announces First Turntable With Helmut Brinkmann!

I am not German, i do not fall for that gimmick ! ;) One really good motor is good enough for me.:)

I thought Americans did the selling, Germans did the engineering, east Asians did the buying, and Swiss did the pricing.

Photo from Munich, taken from @shakti;)

IMG_2377.jpeg

atb, Tom

• Sad
Reactions: shakti and Johan K
Not the ones I know. A londoner has had it for years and excellent and serviced well. Vienna when he bought his did many measurements and he bought more on measurements than listening, and BB topped with SME in measurements. Dcc had it, you can ask him, he replaced his with CS Port but liked the BB all through. And Marc Gomez recommended it to Tang over higher priced tables, am sure he is technical enough to measure it. Though I personally don't know if any specific test has been run on it to confirm that.

Do people really buy turntables based on measurements instead of listening? SME turntables measure extremely well, but other turntables sound better.

Not the ones I know. A londoner has had it for years and excellent and serviced well. Vienna when he bought his did many measurements and he bought more on measurements than listening, and BB topped with SME in measurements. Dcc had it, you can ask him, he replaced his with CS Port but liked the BB all through. And Marc Gomez recommended it to Tang over higher priced tables, am sure he is technical enough to measure it. Though I personally don't know if any specific test has been run on it to confirm that.
Thank you, might have been an isolated opinion.
BTW, is Brinkmann Sinus motor and Ront III available to be purchased separately from the TT itself?

Photo from Munich, taken from @shakti;)

View attachment 130464

atb, Tom

From the photograph, it looks like the motor units are drop-in replacements for the arm boards. I’m really curious about why the two motors are not directionally opposed to each other.

Last edited:
I had a BB for almost 10 years and never faced speed control issues (I had a Roadrunner for measuring the speed).

BTW, is Brinkmann Sinus motor and Ront III available to be purchased separately from the TT itself?

No idea. The Ront is, dunno about Sinus

Do people really buy turntables based on measurements instead of listening? SME turntables measure extremely well, but other turntables sound better.
Some people do but many things on measurements, including flat measuring speakers. With TTs they check wow and flutter. Sure they’ll listen as well, but not everybody backs their listening audition as some are quite humble on that front and don’t think that putting any LP on is actually judging the sound

Reactions: gian60
I think it’s beautiful. I can’t afford it but I can still admire it.

I thought Americans did the selling, Germans did the engineering, east Asians did the buying, and Swiss did the pricing.
As Tom Waits sings: "Step right up " ! ;)

Reactions: rob and bonzo75
I was there when gryphon people played it for Mr. Fremer. Sonically it’s good, really good. However after knowing the price tag, it’s difficult to convince me. These are my wonders,

1, I could just get Brinkmann Balance / tonearms, how far is that comparing this one
2, the two motor strings from both sides are really annoying me, if they can somehow hide them in the design, it will look perfect to me, coz I like traditional plinth style turntable.
3, the cartridge is basically pumped up otorfon diamond, but more than double the price, I still wonder how much better it compares to diamond, or just different.

Yes, you can buy them separately, BB comes with sinus motor.
if you have older models or Lagrange, you can upgrade to sinus motor.

Reactions: Young Skywalker
Pics.

Attachments

• 20240512_124810.jpg
    20240512_124810.jpg
    514.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 20240512_124806.jpg
    20240512_124806.jpg
    721.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 20240512_131539.jpg
    20240512_131539.jpg
    473.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 20240512_124821.jpg
    20240512_124821.jpg
    544.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 20240512_124815.jpg
    20240512_124815.jpg
    610.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 20240512_124832.jpg
    20240512_124832.jpg
    716.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 20240512_124827.jpg
    20240512_124827.jpg
    606.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 20240512_124802.jpg
    20240512_124802.jpg
    676.3 KB · Views: 14
you should go to Göppingen, Germany and see the production, then you will change your mind, I think. Also a beautiful landscape, the Stauferland.
P.S
clever solution to position the motors so that the bearing load is equal at any angleView attachment 130450
I thought that the Funk Firm solution, one motor and two additional passive pulleys solved the issue of motor sync and still distributed the force around the platter. Also, he thinks that arranging them assymmetrically eliminates resonances that can come from symmetrical placement of the motors/pulleys.

I think new BBs come with SInus motor already and RONt III is an option to the normal motor controller and can be bought later if budget doesn't allow for it up front.

Reactions: Young Skywalker
I thought that the Funk Firm solution, one motor and two additional passive pulleys solved the issue of motor sync and still distributed the force around the platter. Also, he thinks that arranging them assymmetrically eliminates resonances that can come from symmetrical placement of the motors/pulleys.
I think asychronous loading leads to faster wear and higher friction. A defined belt tension is important, then it will work with fewer motors.
The big advantage of the concept, in my opinion, is that the 6 AC motors do not require speed control. They are not dependent on the applied voltage, but only on the frequency of the voltage. Speeds of 33/45/78 are achieved using digital frequency converters. Since synchronous motors do not develop a large torque from a standstill, 6 motors are probably needed to quickly bring the platter mass up to speed.

I think asychronous loading leads to faster wear and higher friction. A defined belt tension is important, then it will work with fewer motors.
The big advantage of the concept, in my opinion, is that the 6 AC motors do not require speed control. They are not dependent on the applied voltage, but only on the frequency of the voltage. Speeds of 33/45/78 are achieved using digital frequency converters. Since synchronous motors do not develop a large torque from a standstill, 6 motors are probably needed to quickly bring the platter mass up to speed.
Lots of noise potential and assume all motors run at exactly the same speed...big assumptions I think. I remember my 3 motor Voyd. it was dynamic as hell but noisy, which made things sound a bit "dirty".

Reactions: Lagonda

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing