Gryphon Audio Announces First Turntable With Helmut Brinkmann!

A joke in comparison to that of a Brinkmann Balance :cool:
Where have you actually heard the new Gryphon turntable in comparison to the Brinkmann Balance so that your comment is anything more than spit?

Last edited:
I don’t see any benefit using two motors. On the contrary lot of downsides. It’s a hard job to synchronize them. I don’t understand the need for multiple motors.
Doesn't the Acoustic Signature Invictus use multiple motors?

Reactions: sbo6 and Johan K
Doesn't ddk's Uber turntable use only one motor?
What does that have to do with Gryphon or Brinkmann?

Different engineering techniques can get you to a desired sonic result. I have said consistently that I believe that in this hobby implementation trumps theory.

I’m sure it does but I’ve never been an admirer of Acoustics Signature.
you should go to Göppingen, Germany and see the production, then you will change your mind, I think. Also a beautiful landscape, the Stauferland.
P.S
clever solution to position the motors so that the bearing load is equal at any angleacoustic-signature-turntable-invictus-neo-6motors-sq-01-0500.jpg

Last edited:
Franc Kuzma went from multiple AC motors to a single DC motor for his TOTL XL DC and still uses this configuration today for his latest XL AIR TT.
Thinking aloud, I am pretty sure Frank wouldn't have changed these configurations (after many hours of testing & listening etc.) of two & four motors and finally a single motor if they didn't also (along with simplicity with using just one motor) produce a better sounding TT !

Franc Kuzma went from multiple AC motors to a single DC motor for his TOTL XL DC and still uses this configuration today for his latest XL AIR TT.
Thinking aloud, I am pretty sure Frank wouldn't have changed these configurations (after many hours of testing & listening etc.) of two & four motors and finally a single motor if they didn't also (along with simplicity with using just one motor) produce a better sounding TT !
Also, don't the very expensive TOTL TT's from other Manufacturers (Tech Das Airforce series, American Sound AS2000, Kondo (Audio Note Japan) Ginga etc. etc for instance) and even Brinkmann also only use one motor !

Reactions: Young Skywalker
What two arms and what cartridge does it come with? Who makes them?
ortofon is making the cart, not sure of the arm possibly Brinkman one arm. Forgot what I read yesterday

What two arms and what cartridge does it come with? Who makes them?
Brinkmann arm
Brinkmann has traditionally hard-anodized their tonearm tubes due to the material’s very high transmission speed of sound (9.900 m/s), evacuating resonances from the cartridge as quickly as possible. To achieve state-of-the-art performance, however, required a solution that was truly cutting-edge: diamond. Thanks to a joint research project with Denmark’s Aarhus Technical Institute, Apollo’s arm tubes are diamond-clad (technically, CrN-SD + DLC-TR), yielding the fastest sound transmission of any known material—18,000 m/s—ensuring the quickest evacuation of resonance.
And Ortofon cartridge
To achieve ultimate system synergy, Gryphon worked with Ortofon to create a unique cartridge whose performance characteristics are specifically tailored to Apollo’s. Starting with the extraordinary MC Diamond cartridge, Gryphon developed a special DLC-TR Coated, SLM Titanium body to match the Apollo tonearm and then tuned cartridge compliance to be its perfect partner. The result—The Gryphon Black Diamond DLC—is among the finest cartridges available and the ultimate transducer for the Apollo system.

I think T-shirt is the prefered outfit when operate this new Gryphon/Brinkmann TT… or else you will end all tied up in those front end belts :D !! Makes no sence to me either!

I would have liked the Acoustic Signature approach better, with the belts inside the chassis… but that’s just me.. YMMV.

/ Jk

you should go to Göppingen, Germany and see the production, then you will change your mind, I think. Also a beautiful landscape, the Stauferland.
P.S
clever solution to position the motors so that the bearing load is equal at any angleView attachment 130450
The multiple motor solution is a very German thing, nicely implemented here. Transrotor, Clearaudio and Dr. Feickert use it, more motors equals more money and higher performance ! Good selling points, but not necessarily better sound.

Where have you actually heard the new Gryphon turntable in comparison to the Brinkmann Balance so that your comment is anything more than spit?
Obviousy no one has heard it yet. Why can't you play nice? Why so aggressive and condescending? You are part owner of WBF and should set the example.

The multiple motor solution is a very German thing, nicely implemented here. Transrotor, Clearaudio and Dr. Feickert use it, more motors equals more money and higher performance ! Good selling points, but not necessarily better sound.
Clearaudio changed their design for their Master Innovation from a multiple motor to a single motor some years back. They haven't changed that to date ! Their TOTL 'Statement' TT has always only had a single motor too !

It comes with 2 arms and a cart, and I don't know the rest. I like BB quite a lot, and I find most tables above the BB don't do anything more than a bit of this or that. It is the arm and cart that matters more after that level. Not to mention records. Great maintenance and service. So if Helmut was given a free reign how much did he improve on his 40 year baby? And then there is the margin
For what it's worth, I've heard a report of an ex-Brinkman Balance owner, who's opinion I trust, that the speed control of BB leaves to be desired.
I'm curious to know if that can be corroborated by other owners.

Last edited:
Just politely ask Mr. Woschnik in Herne whether he can send you a three-motor drive plus control system. Your ears will be happy about the upgrade.;)
tw-acustics-raven-black-night-06.jpg

Reactions: Lagonda
Just politely ask Mr. Woschnik in Herne whether he can send you a three-motor drive plus control system. Your ears will be happy about the upgrade.;)
View attachment 130456
I am not German, i do not fall for that gimmick ! ;) One really good motor is good enough for me.:)

For what it's worth, I've heard a report of an ex-Brinkman Balance owner, who's opinion I trust, that the speed control of BB leaves to be desired.
I'm curious to know if that can be corroborated by other owners.

Not the ones I know. A londoner has had it for years and excellent and serviced well. Vienna when he bought his did many measurements and he bought more on measurements than listening, and BB topped with SME in measurements. Dcc had it, you can ask him, he replaced his with CS Port but liked the BB all through. And Marc Gomez recommended it to Tang over higher priced tables, am sure he is technical enough to measure it. Though I personally don't know if any specific test has been run on it to confirm that.

Reactions: Young Skywalker

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing