Greetings, two blocks from Pedro's house

Duke LeJeune

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Jul 22, 2013
Princeton, Texas
That's a Napoleon Dynamite reference, in case you're wondering. I'm writing to you from beautiful downtown Preston Idaho, two blocks from the high school and two blocks from Pedro's house.

<--- That's me soldering crossovers. I'm holding a soldering iron, not a bong. Plus I'm a lot bigger than that in real life.

Originally I'm from Louisiana. My last name is Cajun, and it's pronounced "le-ZHERN". The last syllable rhymes with "Verne". In fact I wanted to name my son Verne, and my daughter Lavergne, but my wife didn't find that as funny as I did.

I have three kids, all girls 'cept for two. Some of you may have seen my younger son in a Tim Burton movie. Briefly.

My journey down the slippery slope began with my first pair of transmission line speakers, built in the late 70's when I was in my late teens. I had almost no money, but managed to scrounge some B-stock KEF drivers in some kind of closeout deal from a local hi-fi store. Had to finish assembling the enclosures upstairs in my room (college student still mooching off mom & dad) because I calculated that they wouldn't fit up the stairway. I named them Ferdinand and Irving, after Ferdinand Porsche and Irving M. Fried. Turns out they wouldn't fit down the stairway either - when they were eventually replaced, I had to literally toss them out the window.

I worked for a while and then went back to college, with mixed results. You see, Larry Hitch of Madisound, Mike Dzurko of Audio Concepts, and Mark Sayer of Meniscus were selling me heroin. Thanks guys. I love you. Because of you I pretty much pissed away my college career, but I still love you.

After college I worked in the oil & gas industry, and if anything my addiction got worse. Two of my designs ended up in Speaker Builder magazine in the mid/late 80's. One of them was among the first "computer ready" speakers, in that it had negligible stray magnetic fields. You could place it flush up against your CRT monitor, and stack your floppy discs on top of it. This was before the first "shielded" drivers were available. It pretty much sucked, but that was beside the point.

Actually, most of my sixty-something DIY speaker designs from that era sucked. But we learn more from our failures than from our successes, so I just kept getting smarter and smarter (well that's the theory, anyway).

Some time in the 90's I got ready to build whatever my then-idea of the ultimate DIY speaker was. The parts cost came to nearly two grand. Well, I could buy a pair of used Quad 63 USA monitors for that... and so I did. Then in 1999 I upgraded to Sound Lab Millennium 1's. They cost more than my car. The slippery slope had steepened. I could see that I was terminally addicted, and so could my friends and family members. I think they were planning an intervention. I realized that I either had to join a twelve-step program... or become a dealer.

In 2002, give or take a couple years, I contacted Earl Geddes about this idea I had, which turned out to be similar to the idea he already had for the speaker that became the Summa. I contributed zero to the actual design of the Summa, but was fortunate enough to work with him on the project for a while. Even assembled a few pairs for him. I'm sure he lost money on me, considering all the time he invested, but he never gave me a bit of crap about it. He's the jedi, and if anything I design has merit, it's because I was his apprentice for a while.

In 2005 we moved to Idaho, and I intended to open a small high-end audio store. The nearly-fully-stocked store burned down just before opening, and because of small town bureaucratic bovine scatology, my business license had not yet been granted (I'd applied five weeks earlier). No business license = no business insurance. Watching my business burn from across the street was a pivotal moment. I didn't begin to have enough money for another try - it was all in the store. That is when I decided to become a speaker manufacturer. At this point the slippery slope was pretty much vertical. Resistance was clearly futile.

Designing and building speakers that someone else might actually buy, at a price that returned a profit, meant that I had to up my game bigtime. Fortunately I still had a few pieces of nice gear at home so I sold them and bought the best loudspeaker measurement/modelling suite I could afford, the LinearX LMS + LMP system.

I won't bore you here with my take on speaker design. You can read most of it an article that Larry Borden of Stereo Times wrote, here: http://www.stereotimes.com/comm081710.shtml

And if you really have insomnia, here's one that I wrote: http://www.hifizine.com/2010/06/the-controlled-pattern-offset-bipole-loudspeaker/

When the economy tanked a few years ago, my crystal ball told me that expensive toys were going to be hard to sell, so I started building high-end bass guitar cabinets (tool of the trade, falls into a different category). That got me through the lean years, and I still build them, though not as much as I did there for a while.

All three of my kids are musicians. My daughter plays bass through a cab I built whose previous owner was Hugh McDonald of Bon Jovi.

At some point I crossed paths with studio designer Jeff Hedback, and for some crazy reason he believed my propaganda and had me build custom studio monitors for a few of his clients. Those projects are the ones that scare me the most because they're going to be used all day long, day in and day out, to play a very crucial role in the success or failure of a business. Any little problems that I don't catch are going to either drive their owners nuts or screw up their mastering and hurt their business.

My real secret weapon is my wife. Second wife, actually. No I'm not a polygamist; I'm a serial monogamist. Anyway, she's my portable real-time analog spectrum analyzer. Nothing goes out the door without her approval.

At this point I'm working on two interesting loudspeaker projects that involve the inventions of other designers, who have entrusted me to develop their ideas into marketable products for the high-end home audio market. [shameless plug] At least one of these will show up at the 2013 Rocky Mountain Audio Fest, room 1100. [/shameless plug]

A couple of hours ago my older son, "Verne", told me that he's applying for a job working with paraplegic kids. I am so proud of him, seriously. He's trying to make the world a better place. I'm just trying to make the world a louder place.

That 'bout brings us up to date.

Vote for Pedro.

Last edited:

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Duke

Welcome to the forum. I've always admired you and your work from afar. Great story and congratulations for raising great kids. I look forward to seeing your upcoming designs and masterpieces.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Hah, hah! You get my vote for the best audio auto biography on WBF.

My audiophile career began in freshman year at Bezerkely when my EE roommate "Big Al" (skinny, spectacled geek) and I made two pairs of speakers in my father's garage work bench for each of us, using particle board and Lafayette all in one speakers. Lafayette copy.JPG

Given the marked "fugly" factor of the speakers, people were always trying to buy or steal them from me, had them for fourteen years. Gave them to my wife's brother when I left Louisiana, they may still be down there rocking out somewhere on de bayou.

Last edited:

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

My audiophile career began in freshman year at Bezerkely when my EE roommate "Big Al" (skinny, spectacled geek) and I made two pairs of speakers in my father's garage work bench for each of us, using particle board and Lafayette all in one speakers. View attachment 10908

Given the marked "fugly" factor of the speakers, people were always trying to buy or steal them from me, had them for fourteen years. Gave them to my wife's brother when I left Louisiana, they may still be down there rocking out somewhere on de bayou.

That Lafayette speaker is the 12" Sk-500 built in England , my father had a pair of those in a bas reflex enclosure ...

Welcome Duke

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Welcome to the forum Duke. I wish I could write as well as you do. As mentioned, great intro. Earl was an early member here so what you just does resonate :).

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Duke, I already welcomed you; and I knew that you were a high caliber 'gun'.
...I've read all your posts so far since you joined in, and including that one just above; Chapeau! :b

Bob

P.S. I strongly feel that we've already met, from another audio site.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
A warm welcome to The Swarm King ;) :D

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Although I have known you since long from other audio forums it is a pleasure to read from you in WBF. Welcome!

Duke LeJeune

Jul 22, 2013
Princeton, Texas
Welcome to the forum. I've always admired you and your work from afar. Great story and congratulations for raising great kids. I look forward to seeing your upcoming designs and masterpieces.

Thank you very much! Appreciate the vote of confidence (upcoming... "masterpieces"? Yeeeeah... no pressure there....)

My audiophile career began in freshman year at Bezerkely when my EE roommate "Big Al" (skinny, spectacled geek) and I made two pairs of speakers in my father's garage work bench for each of us, using particle board and Lafayette all in one speakers.

Thank you! Glad to meet a fellow fan of fugly factor speakers... sometimes form's just gotta follow function!

That Lafayette speaker is the 12" Sk-500 built in England , my father had a pair of those in a bass reflex enclosure ...

Welcome Duke

Thank you, Frantz!

Welcome to the forum Duke. I wish I could write as well as you do. As mentioned, great intro. Earl was an early member here so what you just does resonate :).

Thank you Amir. And I wish I was as smart as you. Trade ya!

Duke, I already welcomed you; and I knew that you were a high caliber 'gun'.
...I've read all your posts so far since you joined in, and including that one just above; Chapeau! :b

Bob

P.S. I strongly feel that we've already met, from another audio site.

Thank you sir, I'm embarrassed to say that I don't remember you from another site... different moniker perhaps?

A warm welcome to The Swarm King ;) :D

Thank you! Just for the record, I totally got the idea for the Swarm from Earl Geddes. I was taking him to the airport in Vegas during CES (he wasn't staying for the whole thing) and he told me that he'd figured out how to get good in-room bass. He outlined his asymmetrical multisub concept, and I bought into it immediately. I mean, like before the light had changed. I asked him if I could use the idea, and he said sure. You see, I had been trying for years to build a subwoofer that could "keep up" with Maggies & Quads, and he had just explained why my best efforts had failed miserably, but more important, what was likely to work.

Although I have known you since long from other audio forums it is a pleasure to read from you in WBF. Welcome!

Thank you very much! Once again, I must confess bad memory/senior moment/whatever, I don't recognize your moniker, very sorry!

Duke LeJeune

Jul 22, 2013
Princeton, Texas
Nothing wrong with holding a bong....Welcome !:D

Thank you... but maybe it's not the best idea to post a picture of yourself holding a bong and use your real name on a public forum! I'm thinking this is one of those either/or things...

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing