Greetings from the high seas.

Robert_Anderson

Member Sponsor
Hello,

My name is Bob Anderson. I have been an avid audiophile since I was a kid. I currently work as a lead radar engineer aboard a USNS ship all over the world. I am into extreme high end headphone listening on the ship. Oklahoma is home, and when there, I I enjoy a fairly nice Magnepan system I continually build and improve upon.

This is my living room system, please have mercy on the awful stands, I have yet to be in my new home long enough to assembled properly (Solid Tech).

http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd339/randerson30241/IMG_1982_zps7e2eef3a.jpg

I look forward to interaction with the group.

Bob

Last edited:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Welcome indeed. You are the first one to call from high seas on WBF! Thank you for helping keep us safe.

And that is one nice system at home. Is that a Mark Levinson CD player that I see in the picture? And whose Ferrari is that? :)

What does a radar engineer do on a ship? Is it operating it or maintaining/repairing them? Are they CHIRP radars?

Robert_Anderson

Member Sponsor
Thanks for the welcome. That is a Levinson transport I have had for forever. I don't recall posting a picture of a Ferrari, but if you looked on Photobucket, you might have seen a picture of a red one a friend of mine has.

Thanks for the compliment, I am a contractor working for Raytheon as a lead engineer on a dual S&X Band radar designed to track ballistic missile firings of hostile countries. I really am not allowed for security reasons to say more. If you Google the USNS Invincible, you can probably read more about it than I would ever be comfortable saying on social media.

There are some wonderful systems on this site and I can't wait to become more engaged in the conversations.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks Robert. Will do. Another question. What are you allowed to bring on the ship as far as personal audio gear? Is it size or weight restricted?

Robert_Anderson

Member Sponsor
Thanks Robert. Will do. Another question. What are you allowed to bring on the ship as far as personal audio gear? Is it size or weight restricted?

I have a fairly decent high end headphone system (headphones not pictured here) jammed in to my small room. It is all packed in to place for bad seas. Here is a photo:

Robert_Anderson

Member Sponsor
Radar and Maggies, my kind of guy! Welcome aboard!

I used to work for Hughes pre-Raytheon, designing ICs to go into radars (among other things).

You would like this radar, too bad I can't say too much about it. We're a dual S & X band tracking radar designed by MIT/Lincoln Labs. This is my 17th year on the project. Well, time for me to call it a night in my part of the world. I can't wait to get more involved in the forum.

Inv1.jpg

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Hi Bob, it's great to see you here!

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Welcome!!

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
I suspect its somewhat more modern than the sps-6c and
sps-10b I worked on back on my USN stint 66-70 :)
Welcome

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing