Greeting from Manila, Philippines!

msm

Jun 24, 2012
Hi to All!:D

I'm "msm". I just chanced upon this forum a few days ago and was very much interested to join.

How do I introduce myself...... Ok, I started out as a normal music lover in the 80s when I was still in high school. I started collecting LPs, particularly from European bands a.k.a. New Wave. Since I was still studying and did not have enough funds to buy my own "audiophile" gear, I settled with the family's Dual turntable, Harman Kardon receiver and tape deck, and a pair of Bose 301 speakers, which my dad eventually changed to Pioneer speakers with 12-inch woofers and horn mids and tweets.

Mid 80s, I was able to save some cash (by keeping my allowance and not eating:D) and started buying cheap, pre-owned entry-level "audiophile" stuff like there was no tomorrow! Micro Seiki, Thorens TD160 Super, Rega Planar 3, Denon DL103, Audio Technica OC9, Dyna Pas 3 / ST70 combo, Scott 299, NAD 3020, Creek 4040, Musical Fidelity A1 / B1, Celestion 3, Wharfedale Diamond, JPW Sonata etc. etc. etc. were my favorite stuff. Yeah, cheap stuff, but good value for money.:)

As a typical audiofool, we all know what happened next.... Upgrade here, upgrade there, a bit more expensive stuff here, a bit more expensive stuff there.... Burned out several times, but eventually found my way going back to audio. I guess it's in the blood already.

Fast forward to the present, I still like audio. Still listen to..... yes, my New Wave LPs. It seems I'm still stuck in the 80s. I still have my "audiophile" LP re-issues, which I just play when tuning my system. But 90% of the time, I just listen to what I love the most, my New Wave LPs. Yeah, baby, yeah!!:D Oh, only on turntables, no digital stuff please.:D

One thing is for sure, I really love turntables! Oh, especially the expensive looking ones.

Cheers!

Oh, by the way, I did notice some Pinoy audiophiles here.... JackD, Audiostar, Jadis, Dimfer, Dafos, Mullard. You guys are all big-timers! I think I don't belong here.:eek: Hahaha!!:D

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello msm and welcome to the forum from a sunny North Carolina. I too love me some vinyl but I can also dig the sound that comes from digital, I can't seem to push myself to take sides. Anyhoo, we hope you enjoy the forum and we'll see you around.

Tom

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Oh no! There goes the neighborhood!

Nice to see you here Fritz :D

For the record there's a VERY short list of folks who are allowed to go near my turntables much less touch them. Fritz is one of 'em. Wonderful guy but impossible to drag out of his house. Used to be bribable with USDA Prime, I think he's moved up to Grade A Wagyu.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Fritz,

Great to see you here! And welcome aboard. :) :) One of our good and humorous friend from our local Philippine board. I know I can't out-smiley you. :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing