Great concert rock systems your've heard

Sauerball

Member Sponsor
Jul 30, 2013
New York, NY
I go for the energy of the communal experience. It is something I enjoy even with ear protection. I use Etymotic plugs.

+ 1 on the Etymotics. I've had some great experiences at some incredible shows only because of them. If you know the show is too loud, you attenuate or leave.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Also, a bit off topic but something that is burned in my brain.

I was able to attend a concert in Detroit at a small, intimate dive featuring Led Zepplin when they just recorded their first album on went on their first USA tour. They played it in its entirety.

Ditto for the Who when they did they had just released "Tommy". Warm up band was Johnny Cocker and his Grease Band. And yes, he sang "Try with a little help from my Friends".

Oh my!

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I was reading a reply from Microstrip in another thread when he mentioned "some loud rock that drives me out of the room immediately." It got me thinking about great systems for rock and I mean real rock... Stones, Matallica, Madonna and NIN.

My pick is the MBL 101 E system, followed by surround set-up (4) Bozak Concert Grands. I think that great rock systems have to tame the top and super pressurize the room.

Who here has or had a great rock system?

View attachment 18068

I had Klipsch La Scallas in college that rocked the house down!!! You don't need deep bass with rock just a strong, sock'em midbass and the La Scallas had that in spades! They played so loud without distorting which made them suitable for large parties.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Rock doesn't need great acoustics. I regularly follow a Led Zep tribute band and they perform my favorite concerts - I get such highs, and their venues are horrendous.

That said, I agree with Peter you need a surround system to produce great rock music. Also, rock being not well mastered, will sound horrendous through a system that is resolving enough for well mastered classical

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I've heard many systems doing great with rock music, but the most recent was an Avantgarde Trio setup with 4 subs + 100W Audiopax monos.
The audition was in a very large room, and yet it was pressurized like a concert hall. Amazing!

alexandre

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing