Google Nexus 10 is out

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Seems like nice set of specs, bettering iPad in resolution (2500 horizontal pixels vs 2000 for iPad), and $100 cheaper ($399 for 16 Gig version vs $499 for iPad)

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/29/nexus-10-hands-on-video/

Seems ugly to me in the pictures compared to iPad. The display though is said to be very nice.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Given the choice I wouls spend the extra $100 for the ipad. That Google Nexus 10 is butt ugly
I am in the market to get one for my son who is in the University. You can imagine that it being pretty is nowhere as important as saving $100 :).

The thing is a computer Steve, not a fashion accessory. :) :).

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I agree but then again why do all phone makers bring them out in just about every color. Remember when Steve Jobs introduced the famous Mac that was an all in one unit and came in 4 colors. After that IIRC is when phone makers started doing it.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Phones are fashion accessory. You have them with you, using them all the time so people like to look cool. For computers, PCs have had #1 shares for decades without looking remotely cool. A tablet admittedly is somewhat in between but I consider it closer to a tool, than something like your cloths. In the case of my son's, he just likes to have something light with him to look up coursework, take notes, etc. As such, he is not remotely sensitive to how pretty it looks.

All of this said, my Mac guy said the same thing: "... but how cool is it to hold it in your hand?" So it may be like east coast vs west coast people. We all speak English but how we look at life is a bit different :).

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I wonder what it does what my Google nexus 7 cannot do?

Besides a higher res screen and 4g.

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
This is an incredible tablet. I'll take one please.

Those who think Apple products are so much more beautiful - it always amuses me to see people buying them and then putting them in cheap plastic cases. Would you buy a Ferrari and then drive around with shrink wrap around it and boast about the beautiful paint finish that nobody can see? It is an absurd argument. If your iPhone / iPad is so beautiful and so well built, use it commando. I am not confident your Apple product will last more than a day in your bag without scratches.

TT, the Nexus 10 is wifi only. If you want 4G, wait for the 32GB version of the Nexus 7.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Hey Keith

not looking for 4G. happy with my Nexus 7. I can tether from my blackberry if I really want to - wifi is fine. And I use it commando - Google Nexus has a great textured back that does not slip and slide everywhere. Fits into my pocket as well.

I too find it amusing that so many people put ugly cases around their ipads (my wife is included) and put those stupid glass protectors over them as well. Makes the brick, well more of a birck.

cheers

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
save 20% over apple and put a pretty picture on the screen.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
This looks very interesting and I'll have to have a look when I can. However, I want to see the MS Surface RT and Surface Pro as well. So much new stuff coming out and everyone is upping the ante each time...great news for consumers! As far as looks are concerned...I don;t really care. I mean I bought a Samsung Galaxy Note and it reminds me of my first cellphone when holding it to my ear, but I'm so beautiful that no one notices. :p.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Yeah, but can I access my entire music library through it from the other end of the house and listen to it out of the headphone jack? Or push a button and stream it to a $99 Airport Express that then plays the file through the system in that room? Or push a button and stream video wirelessly to my Apple TV and have it play back through my TV (also at the other end of the house)? And can it open Word files in Pages, just because I ask it to, and keep my library of songs and set lists from my band on the pad so I can reference it when sitting up in bed practicing? And can I, with a click, send those songs from Spotify to Facebook and share them with the rest of the band (yes)? With a single click can I video call my grand daughter through my daughters MacBook? And even if it can do most/all of the above, can it do it as quickly, easily and intuitively as I just typed it, or am I going to have to figure it out, set up network connections, download drivers, find apps (yes again)?

Because if it isn't going to do all of that as seamlessly as the iPad, another 100 pixesl at $100 less doesn't mean squat to me. YMMV, of course, and if you're not already invested in Apple products and you're accustomed to downloading another driver, setting up another connection and loading another app every time you add a device or a function, it probably does.

Tim

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Yeah, I want one. The screen must be beautiful.
Hopefully by the time I get one, Android will have at least one or two decent tablet apps...

alexandre

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Doesn't look as ugly in this review: http://reviews.cnet.com/google-nexus-10/

The charger problem is a big miss though. How can people get the basics wrong? That, and lack of expansion via SD Card are silly misses. The thing is big enough to take an SD card. Why lose that advantage over iPad? The rest though seems pretty positive.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing