Going Big class A?

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Holy smoke Batman.
Buy a used FPG or 33h save big bucks by a car too hahaha.
Good night gents I truly enjoyed the posting

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Holy smoke Batman.
Buy a used FPG or 33h save big bucks by a car too hahaha.
Good night gents I truly enjoyed the posting

Thanks for taking the time!

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
You have some system it must sound amazing
All my stuff is old like me lol. Only the dac is fairly new. And a pacific coming this year
Your amps must be heaters good for cold nights

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
You have some system it must sound amazing
All my stuff is old like me lol. Only the dac is fairly new. And a pacific coming this year
Your amps must be heaters good for cold nights

I have heard Genesis 1 which is not far off your IRS V...I also have heard the ML33 before. Both INSANELY GOOD. Other than the Arrakis...i have not heard a speaker i prefer more if cost and size were no object. Old or young, your system is still amazing.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Thanks Keith. I'll gladly call Mark if you agree to pay for the amps or shipping if I return them. They may be more dynamic than what I now have, but that does not mean they will sound better in every way. That is why Pass makes the X and XA lines, and for a while both the .5 and .8.

Peter it’s intersting as goes along with a review I read that the 600.8 was second to the XS in sound

Also

Peter you should be able to see from your meters if it’s sliding out of Class A as this will be indicated by the meters is my understanding
https://www.passlabs.com/press/leaving-class

Stable then class A if they move then the bias is moving

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Peter,

You are quoting class AB values, not class A. Usually class A power decreases linearly when the impedance decreases.

Francisco, I just heard back from Pass Labs in an email. I asked how much class A power my amps would deliver to my speaker's 5 ohm load. According to them, my XA160.5 amplifier "is good for 300 watt peaks in Class A at lower impedances." It is specified as 160 watts, Class A, into an 8 ohm load. This is consistent with the figures in that "Leaving Class A" article I quoted earlier and with their claim that power doubles as impendance is halved. All I know is that the amps are a good match with my speakers.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Makes perfect sense to me, Peter, and as expected. I would hope micro would stop polluting threads with pseudo-facts.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Guys micro is correct and where your info is common from is wrong and most likly being miss quoted
I don’t know of any amp that has more watts at a lower imp in class A
That wattage increases is for class A/B. Unless pass has an amp I never knew about.
Lastly he is not polluting anything he is simply posting know design facts.
Let’s calm down a bit on watts in class a.
It’s more complex then just watts in class a anyway.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Too many type A folks on the forum, need to shift to type B

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Guys micro is correct and where your info is common from is wrong and most likly being miss quoted
That wattage increases is for class A/B. Unless pass has an amp I never knew about.

I am very calm thank you. As I said I really enjoy the sound of my amps with my speakers. I’m just trying to better understand the subject.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Thanks Alrainbow. Unfortunately some people when they do not understand loose their temper.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Francisco, I just heard back from Pass Labs in an email. I asked how much class A power my amps would deliver to my speaker's 5 ohm load. According to them, my XA160.5 amplifier "is good for 300 watt peaks in Class A at lower impedances." It is specified as 160 watts, Class A, into an 8 ohm load. This is consistent with the figures in that "Leaving Class A" article I quoted earlier and with their claim that power doubles as impendance is halved. All I know is that the amps are a good match with my speakers.

Peter,

You have an excellent amplifier. Pass is a great company, but please note you got an ambiguous answer to an exact precise technical question - what is meant by "lower impadances" - 4, 2 or 1 ohm? And again "watt peaks" is an ambiguous audiophile word . :)
Probably you got an answer from a marketing guy!

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
All they effectively said is that the amp cannot deliver more than 300W in Class A at lower impedances, in which case the amp will leave Class A. The main point here is that Class A wattage will GO UP (not down) as the impedance decreases, UP TO a point. Yes, they did not tell Peter what exactly he will get at 5ohms, but that's fine, because the speaker's impedance is not constant anyway, so they gave a more general answer. What's so hard to understand?

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Thanks Alrainbow. Unfortunately some people when they do not understand loose their temper.

Fransisco, with all due respect, I don't see anyone losing his temper in this discussion. The basic question is whether or not Class A power output increases or decreases as impedance decreases. Perhaps it is not so simple a question and depends on the specific design of a given amplifier. I'm just asking questions as I know very little about this topic and am curious. Are you saying that Pass is misleading in its marketing about amp specifications and the specific content of their article "Leaving Class A"?

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
Peter,

You have an excellent amplifier. Pass is a great company, but please note you got an ambiguous answer to an exact precise technical question - what is meant by "lower impadances" - 4, 2 or 1 ohm? And again "watt peaks" is an ambiguous audiophile word . :)
Probably you got an answer from a marketing guy!

When I've called Pass Labs, the person answering has been their primary customer support person, Kent English. He is very knowledgeable and is not a 'marketing guy' Kent will relate his considerable experience and feedback from other Pass customers but does not blow smoke - IMO high integrity.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Peter I am happy and do understand your frustration in this
In the end it’s enjoyment first always.
The somewhat misleading of specs is in all products made. A company can make a world class device it if it’s specs don’t look it would you buy it. its literary life and death to them.

So they bend rules or laws in physics it’s ok

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Makes perfect sense to me, Peter, and as expected. I would hope micro would stop polluting threads with pseudo-facts.

Ack,

You, Francisco, Al, Al, Peter, Mike, Mike, Lloyd, Ron, Roger, Ian, Marty, Jeff, Ked, Chuck, Mosin, Chris, Bob, Davey, Dave, David, 853Guy, Barry, Gary, Gary, Ed, Fred, Henry, John, Ken, Paul, Rob, Dan, Victor, Wallace, Philip, Adam, Bud, Marc, Tang, Steve, Ron, Tim, Lee, ..., and all the other WBF members are among the best who I have the utmost respect in all things audio life, including power amplifiers in the whole world.

Why are you saying that Francisco is polluting threads with pseudo-facts?
He is among one of the most balanced members here. Big Class A amps, like the ones Peter has, between him and the specs on the internet and from Pass Labs own people, he's contributing always with some of the best info and knowledge and friendliness.

Last edited:

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Why are you saying that Francisco is polluting threads with pseudo-facts?

Let's just say I've been reading and mostly not responding.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Peter I am happy and do understand your frustration in this
In the end it’s enjoyment first always.
The somewhat misleading of specs is in all products made. A company can make a world class device it if it’s specs don’t look it would you buy it. its literary life and death to them.

So they bend rules or laws in physics it’s ok

No frustration on my end, Alrainbow. Just some curiosity. It's all good!

I would be impressed if Pass Labs could bend rules or laws in physics.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing