Genesis System

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Here's another pair of speakers shoe-horned in - a pair of G1.1's this time. Most of these were sold before I started insisting on giving them more space....... may be I should just let the customer decide. Some of these systems have worked very well.

AudioArk G1.1.jpg

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Because the swept-back wings on the G2.2 is just as effective as the narrow wings on the old Gen-II, but is very much more stable. Too many pairs of Gen-II have been destroyed because they fell over when the wings broke off the base! To make it more stable, then you would have to go with the massive footers of the G1, and the cost, etc. which then make them very much more expensive.

Rosewood veneer in sheets large enough to cover these wings are also difficult to come by and extremely expensive. The old-growth trees that will produce a veneer sheet 96" long by 10" wide are extinct.

thanks for that...good to know. ouch...I think 2.2s seems much more practical, and I suspect are quite close in performance to your mighty 1.2s in most medium to large rooms. and probably very very similar in tonality.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Here's another pair of speakers shoe-horned in - a pair of G1.1's this time. Most of these were sold before I started insisting on giving them more space....... may be I should just let the customer decide. Some of these systems have worked very well.

View attachment 13021

yep...that's why I don't want to try to 'shoehorn'...HUGE!!! ;) but in the right room...wow.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

View attachment 13021

He might not have a big room, but he sure has money.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
He might not have a big room, but he sure has money.

The crazy thing, mep, is that this actually IS a decent sized room...look at how 'small' the equipment seems to appear along that back wall. Put a pair of XLFs or Q7s and there is plenty of room for coffee table, couches, racks of music. Its just that those speakers are monstrously big...7'2" tall and 41" wide...they eat up half the room you can see in the picture. When I stood in front of 1.1s in my friend's living room (which was really big...over 40' feet long and about 18 feet wide with 12' ceilings...i really came to appreciate they are another scale bigger than all the Focal Grande EM, XLFs, etc.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

View attachment 13021

Hey the IRSs worked well in HP's room 3 that isn't any bigger. You end up getting a little more direct to reflected sound. But the low end will make your trousers flap in the wind! :)

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
The crazy thing, mep, is that this actually IS a decent sized room...look at how 'small' the equipment seems to appear along that back wall. Put a pair of XLFs or Q7s and there is plenty of room for coffee table, couches, racks of music. Its just that those speakers are monstrously big...7'2" tall and 41" wide...they eat up half the room you can see in the picture. When I stood in front of 1.1s in my friend's living room (which was really big...over 40' feet long and about 18 feet wide with 12' ceilings...i really came to appreciate they are another scale bigger than all the Focal Grande EM, XLFs, etc.

Lloyd is right. The turntable in the corner is the massive Clearaudio Statement.

The only way to make those speakers look small would be in a room like this.

Shino.jpg

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hah!! good one, Gary. BTW, how close to the back wall will the main panels go? One of the nice things about your 4-towers is that you can place them one slightly in front of the other...taking up less horiztonal space. The thing is most setups have the panels a third into the room which eats everything up if its a living room. Whereas with a pair of XLFs you often place them closer to the corners and toe them in. And the subs often go on sides or corner again.

I understand dipole panels have little interaction with floor and ceiling...but also little interaction with side walls. How about the back wall behind the speaker? If you had 18' feet wide and fired down the long end of the room (35')...can you get the bass towers in the corner and place the panels 2 feet from the front of the towers so that you get 30' open space and maybe 9.5-10' horizontal clear space for equipment rack/screen?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hah!! good one, Gary. BTW, how close to the back wall will the main panels go? One of the nice things about your 4-towers is that you can place them one slightly in front of the other...taking up less horiztonal space. The thing is most setups have the panels a third into the room which eats everything up if its a living room. Whereas with a pair of XLFs you often place them closer to the corners and toe them in. And the subs often go on sides or corner again.

I understand dipole panels have little interaction with floor and ceiling...but also little interaction with side walls. How about the back wall behind the speaker? If you had 18' feet wide and fired down the long end of the room (35')...can you get the bass towers in the corner and place the panels 2 feet from the front of the towers so that you get 30' open space and maybe 9.5-10' horizontal clear space for equipment rack/screen?

My limited experience with measurements in a few rooms suggested me that the distance between the back wall and speakers depends on room dimensions and also on the acoustical properties of the back wall. Stone or concrete walls re-emit all bass energy, damped drywall or light walls absorb it. Sometimes we see rooms where according to rules of thumb the sound should be miserable sounding great and the reverse.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks, Micro. Very true...was just wondering if there are some groundrules (like Dipoles apparently have) which might obligate panels to be far from the front wall...or conversely, where panels would work well within less than 4 feet from front wall.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
My IRS is four feet from the front wall. I suppose I could move it farther from the front wall into the room, but they sound wonderful where they are and I do have some space constraints due to doors I need access to. The room is 17.5 x 34 feet. My spacing is similar to the photo Gary Koh showed where they were "shoehorned" in but nothing seems to suffer. The room is the sweet spot.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Lloyd is right. The turntable in the corner is the massive Clearaudio Statement.

I would risk that the one close to the Statement is an Oracle Premier.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
I would risk that the one close to the Statement is an Oracle Premier.

You might be right. This system had 4 turntables.

Sources.jpg

I didn't take pictures, but the entire back half of the room is fully "treated" - with floor to ceiling vinyl. I think that he might have 5 CDs......

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks, Micro. Very true...was just wondering if there are some groundrules (like Dipoles apparently have) which might obligate panels to be far from the front wall...or conversely, where panels would work well within less than 4 feet from front wall.

No, the panels do not have to be far from the front wall.

Because they are dipoles, you have to be careful with cancellation of the reflected sound with the direct sound at around the listening position. Depending on the material of the front wall (brick/concrete vs the soft stuff we have in the US), and diffusion, etc. You can actually be very near. Because music is chaotic and not a perfect sine, and the distribution of frequencies is not constant, I can always find a good position for the panels. Even when they have to be pretty close to the front.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks, Gary. I may PM you again.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Here is another G1.2 with staggered woofer towers and narrower spacing.

G1.2 owners seem to have a penchant for the Clearaudio Statement seen in the back.

Attachments

• GENESIS G1.2-A.jpg
    GENESIS G1.2-A.jpg
    488 KB · Views: 641

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks, GaryP! Fascinating layout. Again, I wish that the speakers did not take up so much room (not just physically themselves, but the actual layouts). They are amazing speakers, and I am not sure I have heard their equal, with the possible close exception of the Arrakis 2 which I heard in a different room. The big panels are truly are stunning to hear.

BTW, when I heard the ARrakis 2...it was also with Clearaudio Statement turntable! (He also had Rockport Sirius III.)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I think the wings add a bit of an optical illusion. Tweeter array to tweeter array, these are all farther apart than they seem. :)

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Good catch, GaryP. The reason the left woofer tower is in front of the midrange/tweeter is the Clearaudio Statement. I didn't want six 12-inch woofers firing into the turntable! Because of the wavelength we are dealing with, as long as the woofer is less than about 2.5m from the midrange/tweeter, it can integrate. IIRC the front woofer tower I delayed phase by 5 deg and 1 dB down. The room's 19.5 ft wide.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing