Genesis in Kuala Lumpur - launch event with Air Force ONE, Viola and Gryphon

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
The Genesis 2.2 Junior will be launched in Malaysia/Singapore by RAVE Systems in Kuala Lumpur May 3&4. I will be there representing Genesis, as will the designer of the TechDAS Air Force ONE, Nishikawa-san.

Product highlights:
Genesis 2.2 Junior Loudspeakers
Tech DAS AirForce One Turntable,

Viola Solo Preamp and Bravo Amplifier,
CH-Precision C1 DAC,
Weiss MAN301 Server,
Gryphon Legato Phono Stage and Colosseum Amplifier

Dates:
Friday, 3rd May and Saturday 4th May
Time 12.00pm to 9.00pm both days

Venue:
Gardens Hotel Mid Valley (http://www.gardenshtlres.com/)
Level 29, Skyview 7 and Skyview 8
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Free. All are welcome. Light Refreshments will be served

The organizer, TK Han, has promised that the room will be far larger than the one we had at CES:

Front room.jpg

Last edited:

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I want to win that Lotto!!!!!

Would love to be there Gary! Best of luck!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'd love to fly over too Gary, alas the date is too close to our elections. :(

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Tempting! Let me know the exact dates. I know I'm scheduled for Cebu sometime in June so I hope that doesn't conflict.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
My, my. You've been on a whirlwind as of late with all of these shows. :eek:

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Genesis Launch in Malaysia 3rd and 4th May 2013

If you are in the region, this will be a great opportunity to hear the magical Genesis 2.2 Juniors. Why magical? Two of the Stereophile reviewers mentioned it in their report of the New York Audio Show: http://www.stereophile.com/content/genesis-advances-technologies

Genesis designer and CEO, Gary Koh will be in Kuala Lumpur helping to put the speakers through their paces: http://genesisloudspeakers.com/g2p2.html

The designer of the TechDAS Air Force One, Hideaki Nishikawa will also be there to launch the turntable. Here's the opportunity to ask questions of not one, but two hifi designers!

Details:
Friday 3rd May and Saturday 4th May
Gardens Hotel Mid Valley (http://www.gardenshtlres.com/)
Level 29, Skyview 7 and Skyview 8
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

The event is being hosted by RAVE Systems Sdn Bhd or Kuala Lumpur and Reference Systems of Singapore.

Please share this with your friends in South East Asia who may be interested in attending.

I look forward to meeting you in KL!

The venue is the gorgeous Gardens Hotel and Residences. Bring the wife, as the hotel is attached to the 9.7 acre high-end Gardens shopping mall (Louis Vuitton, Armani, Karen Millen, Hugo Boss, Sincere Watch, The Hour Glass, etc.).

ghrfacade.jpg

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Interesting choice of DAC source there that I'd not come across before. 4 * PCM1704 per channel, everything upsampled to 16X, DSD handled via DSD-PCM conversion.

Unfortunately, I have not done any AB comparisons, but it's one of the best DACs I've ever heard.

opus111

Banned
Feb 10, 2012
Hangzhou, China
Unfortunately, I have not done any AB comparisons, but it's one of the best DACs I've ever heard.

Not having heard either your DAC or TT, I'd hazard that the TT easily scores over the DAC in dynamics and timbre. The PCM1704 is R2R meaning not insignificant glitchiness and running it at 16X exacerbates this.... That's not at all to say its a bad DAC just I reckon it won't hold much of a candle to top analog.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
The CH Precision D1 player performed extremely well at the recent Sydney HiFi show, driving Technical Brain monoblocks; considering the room was very messily set up I was impressed with its transparency and recovery of low level detail, it didn't have to rely on excuses to compare well with the TTs in other rooms ...

Frank

Thf99

Member Sponsor
May 1, 2012
I was not in the market for a DAC but out of curiosity, I took home a CH Precision C1 DAC for a spin and I ended up buying the trial unit! Once you listen to it, you'll get hooked!

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Did either of you hear any "glitchiness"? :D
That's a funny term... I wish I could understand what it means, as I've never heard any DAC "glitch" by itself...

alexandre

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
When I heard the C1 in Hong Kong, it was not out of the ballpark compared to the Air Force One. It's good enough to attempt a comparison. Album was Eric Clapton Unplugged. Not one I would have usually used to do a comparison like this, but it was what we had available.

Thf99

Member Sponsor
May 1, 2012
Did either of you hear any "glitchiness"? :D
That's a funny term... I wish I could understand what it means, as I've never heard any DAC "glitch" by itself...

alexandre

I heard nothing except beautiful music

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
It is always a joy for a speaker designer to have at his disposal excellent amplifiers like the Gryphon Colosseum and the Viola Labs Legacy monoblocks at his disposal to do demo's with.

Back.jpg

We played both systems about equally today. The Gryphon is more dynamic and articulate, while the Viola was more relaxed and spacious. What each prefers may depend on time of day, mood and material. Best to just buy both..... the Genesis 2 Juniors shows everything up the chain.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
The main source was the TechDAS Air Force One with the Gryphon Legato phono stage. The Viola Labs Solo 4-chassis monoblock pre-amplifier was the heart of the system.

Front.jpg

Sharp-eyed readers will see two arm wands on the front left of the turntable. We used a Graham Phantom II Supreme, and three cartridges. A Soundsmith Hyperion CL, Soundsmith Paua, and my highly modified (also by Soundsmith) Magic Diamond.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing