Genesis at the New York Audio Show - April 12 - 15, 2013

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Go for it Gary! Break a leg and not your back now okay? :)

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

I may try to have a trip to NY coincide with the event. I will probably come with a friend who's a Burmester and Genesis owner .. :)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
After all the suggestions from visitors that the G2jr's would sound better in their homes because their rooms are larger - we are getting a slightly bigger room in New York. 18' x 40' :D

Looking forward to reading the reviews and comments...good luck!

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
I don't see padded walls (like the Waldorf) thank goodness.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
16 days to go......

Just confirmed the electronics.

All Burmester Reference Line:
909 power amp
077 preamp
069 CD player
Ph100 phono stage
948 power conditioner

Of course, the speaker will be the Genesis 2 Junior.

Great line up! Good luck! Look forward to reading all about it. How do you rate the 948 power conditioner? Compared with Transparent, Running Springs, Shunyata, Accuphase, Isoclean, etc?

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Great line up! Good luck! Look forward to reading all about it. How do you rate the 948 power conditioner? Compared with Transparent, Running Springs, Shunyata, Accuphase, Isoclean, etc?

Power is a very difficult thing to address - because of the multitude of problems that can crop up. I really like the 948 for shows, because it fixes DC offset that can come from switched mode power supplies, hair dryers running at half power, etc. Sort of like the same thing the Accuphase addresses, except a little better and I think cheaper (depending on the country you are in).

The other power conditioners I use are the IsoTek Titan and Nova - which do different things. Don't believe anyone if they tell you that their power conditioner fixes all and every problem.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Is your back gonna be able to handle this, Gary? Those chandeliers may present some unwanted additional noise but if they don't, they may help to diffuse unwanted reflections.

Tom

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
@Tom, thanks for your concern. I'm taking of my back and getting younger/stronger guys to help. I've never played in a room with chandeliers so it's going to be interesting.

@odyno, we will have the production version of Touraj's $35, 000 Vertere Reference Tonearm on the last t/t Touraj designed - the Roksan TMS3. TMS stands for Touraj Moghaddam Signature.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Wow, that's a Junior?@220 pound each? Gorgeous.

I really like the midrange and tweeter controls, as in the classic Yamaha NS 1000 series, that is a nice touch.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Carl,

all Genesis speakers have at least midrange and tweeter controls. It comes from my belief that all rooms sound different, and may require some tailoring of the sound..... but also due to cultural differences, different people prefer different voices. Witness the difference in the most popular newscasters (especially anchor women) in the various countries. American tend to be warm and mid-bassy, Japanese are almost shrill, Southern European have a "soft top", Northern European have a hard edge.

Junior's the boy who's nearly a teenager - when compared to Daddy Dragon at 1,000lbs per side :)

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
14 days to show start and the system's due to be picked up on Monday for shipping to New York, so this is the last chance I have to enjoy it. We have to start breaking it down and packing as the shippers will come with a big truck on Monday.

Quite a bit to pack: two large speakers - the Genesis 2 Junior; lots of Burmester electronics - 909, 077, 069, Ph100, 948; turntable, cables, etc. Estimated to be 1,600 lbs (727kg).

One of the most enjoyable things I get to do in this job is to pick the music for shows and demos. Right now, I'm listening to Tony Bennet to start the morning off smooth and gently.

It's an original CBS pressing - 45 years old today and sounding as fresh as when it was first pressed.

Tony Bennett.jpg

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Since it's only been a couple of months since the New York show, I'll be bringing a lot of those LPs to New York. However, I don't want to tire of the music as I've played some of them so often, so I'll be bringing some new stuff.

When asked for "Classical Music" by a non-classical music lover, it is always difficult. Especially the young as they are bored by the time things get exciting - so, I'll usually reach for an album of Overtures or Arias. Many of these have been heard so many times that they get bored anyway. I only brought a few classical albums to New York, and had to play them over and over again, so this time I'm bringing a couple more.

This collection of Overtures is fresh everytime I play it because they are all unusual, rarely played, and each is always worth hearing in its entirety. Arthur Fiedler was the conductor of the Boston "Pops" Orchestra from 1936 to his death in 1979 - conducting almost till the day he died. He has been considered the best "stick man" in America, and he is reputed to be able to achieve any effect he wants - from Mozart to Disco.

This is Fiedler's Favorite Overtures - on Polydor but actually engineered and mastered by Deutsche Gramaphone. Only four short tracks, but each one is spectacular. Unfortunately, never re-issued and not available on CD.

Fiedler's Favourites.jpg

Last edited:

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
What better way to celebrate Spring in New York than with the exhilaration of Offenbach's Gaite Parisienne. I predict that we will be playing this superb recording by Arthur Fiedler and the Boston Pops Orchestra very often.

This one is a Classic Records re-issue.

Gaite Parisienne.jpg

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing