FYI: MRL Closure

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Hello,

Here's a link to the MRL Calibration Tape website describing their imminent closure:

MRL Cal Tapes

Regrets,

Sam

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

Ampexed

May 2, 2023
That really is unfortunate and will make the shrinking reel-to-reel pool of machines harder to properly maintain. Hopefully someone like JRF magnetics will step in and take over the business but that is probably wishful thinking.

Foxbat

Jun 11, 2020
I don't think our ability to maintain our machines is going to be affected.

Ampexed

May 2, 2023
I don't think our ability to maintain our machines is going to be affected.
Calibration tapes eventually wear out and the first to go are the more critical high frequencies. If it becomes impossible to acquire calibration tapes, absolutely the ability to maintain the machines will eventually be affected. Perhaps you don't use calibration tapes, but I sure do. Flux loops are not a complete substitute.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
i suspect Andrey Kosobutsky of ATR Service Inc. might be able to provide these tapes. he already dealt with MRL a few years back correcting some improperly made MRL calibration tapes. So he is certainly capable. if he will do it, not sure he will provide as many different types of calibration tapes as MRL.

i will check with him to see how that might go.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lee

Foxbat

Jun 11, 2020
MRL is not the only supplier of test tapes. Just of the top of my head there also are test-tape.com, ural91 and Gennlab.

Also the gentleman called Peter Ruhrberg in Germany.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lee and tapepath

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
MRL is not the only supplier of test tapes. Just of the top of my head there also are test-tape.com, ural91 and Gennlab.

Also the gentleman called Peter Ruhrberg in Germany.

Hi Victor,

Who do you use for cal tapes when aligning your machines for record and reproduction?
Thanks.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing