Frank Sinatra's 3-channel system in Palm Springs

Soundproof

Jan 13, 2012
Oslo, Norway
The Chairman in front of his bespoke 3-channel system. Presto 825 (?) 3-track between the Left and Center speaker. Fisher R200 tuner and McIntosh C22 preamp to the right of the Center speaker.
Below those again, are probably three separate amps, one for each channel. (Stacked above the floor. Anyone know for certain?).

In the back of the room, Sinatra has his turntable, vinyl and tapes. I believe the Presto was set up with 1/2" tapes for 3-track.

Most productions from the 1950s to quite a bit into the 60s were recorded in 3-track, as engineers and developers were hoping for a commercially viable 3-track system for best possible stereo reproduction.

People discussing what to listen to next.

Last edited:

Soundproof

Jan 13, 2012
Oslo, Norway
I won't try to guess what the Chairman's taste in music was, but given he had a 3-channel setup, it's very likely the music was mixed with equipment such as this. Mercury's Living Presence series is highly sought after by collectors - here's a photo from one of their studios, where they used another model 3-track to the Presto Sinatra has. (Mercury used the Ampex 300)

Here we see three Altec A7 speakers, and a Westrex console for 3-channel mixing. The tape player was a 3-track Ampex 300 - and quite a few Living Presence treasures were mixed here.

The music Sinatra was enjoying may have been produced using a 3-channel console such as the Audiofax below. This one allowed control of 12 sources, into three tracks, with gain control on the left and a very nifty "echo" panel on the right.

Last edited:

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
What GREAT pictures!

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Those tape electronics and transport are Presto and not Ampex,pictured at Sinatra's Palm Springs home.

Reactions: DexterMiller

Soundproof

Jan 13, 2012
Oslo, Norway
Those tape electronics and transport are Presto and not Ampex,pictured at Sinatra's Palm Springs home.

Checked it out, and it certainly looks as if you're right. I was forcefully told it was an Ampex unit! As Bing Crosby was the angel investor for Ampex and a major force in the evolution of the company, maybe Sinatra wanted something else? There are similarities, but I dug up some photos..

Here's an Ampex 350 set up for 2-track.

And here's a Presto unit, the 825, which I now see people at SH-forum are wondering whether could be the one in Sinatra's home. Available in Mono, 2-, 3-, and 4-track configurations.

The buttons on the VU-panels in Sinatra's room certainly look truer to the Presto than the Ampex - my acquaintance will stand corrected, it seems!

Last edited:

Soundproof

Jan 13, 2012
Oslo, Norway
Bill Putnam designed the stereo recording facilities for United Recording in L.A.

Here's studio A.

Note the strange shape above the control room, with its windows giving a view of what's happening on the floor. That's where the monitor speakers were placed, facing down towards the people supervising the session.

Here we are inside the 3-channel control room, the three speakers in place in the alcove above the window.

And here's the Ampex 300-3 recorder used for sessions, as well as the mixing console.

This shot is taken from a vantage point that's higher than that of the window in the control room, but it gives an impression of what a Roger Williams session looked like in Studio A.

U47

Apr 23, 2010
Portland, Oregon
www.reeltapes.net
RE: Presto tube reel deck

I had Dave Dittenfass rebuild the 3 motors last year and they turned out nicely. Outside of some re-wiring and the motor rebuilds, it is completely stock and original(outside of new heads). The trolley is still in Central Oregon- hope to get it sometime in the next few months. It is indeed a very cool deck. I spend some time listening to my friend's Ampex 351-2(Seward Sound) in Seattle and am amazed at how wonderful and musical this deck is. Not only that, but how reliable they are over time. I bet a lot of folks would be surprised at the sonic quality(loveliness) of the Ampex versus most Studer decks and especially the now very hot Nagra T-Audio. Tape handling is more than somewhat archaic on both the Presto and Ampex- that is the main sticking point for me.

R

Last edited:

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I had Dave Dittenfass rebuild the 3 motors last year and they turned out nicely. Outside of some re-wiring and the motor rebuilds, it is completely stock and original(outside of new heads). The trolley is still in Central Oregon- hope to get it sometime in the next few months. It is indeed a very cool deck. I spend some time listening to my friend's Ampex 351-2(Seward Sound) in Seattle and am amazed at how wonderful and musical this deck is. Not only that, but how reliable they are over time. I bet a lot of folks would be surprised at the sonic quality(loveliness) of the Ampex versus most Studer decks and especially the now very hot Nagra T-Audio. Tape handling is more than somewhat archaic on both the Presto and Ampex- that is the main sticking point for me.

R

Rich,

I'm not surprised at all.:D

As far as the tape handling,I've converted over to the 440C transport and it's really not that bad. Love that Ampex sound.:)

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Tuner is not a fisher and appears to be a McIntosh MX-110

Sorry, I don't know for sure what the tuner is, but it ISN'T a McIntosh MX110 at all.

The preamp is a C22.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
WOW! That's quite a place.

Also notice the Polaroid Land camera on the table in the foreground with PL and MM.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing