Hybrid MCH / 2 Channel system

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Completely overhauled my system over the last year or two. This is what I have now. Hybrid 2 channel / MCH system with dedicated servers. The MCH server sits behind the rack feeding 3 x DirectStream from a Lynx card. The 2 channel server is bottom left, next to Oppo 103D. Both servers run Dirac Live DRC. All libraries are controlled from iPad JRiver/Jmedia. Amplification is Spectral. Also behind the rack are Shunyata Triton and Typhon conditioners. Main speakers and center are Evolution Acoustics. I have a pair of B&W NT8 Signature in-walls for surround. Just got my hands on a 2 x stereo Job 225 for amplification of Center / Surrounds. Will try the new PS Audio amp when released. I am not using any subs.

System Jan 2015_03.JPG

Attachments

• System Jan 2015_01.JPG
    System Jan 2015_01.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 545

prerich

May 21, 2012
I love this!!!!

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I love this!!!!

I would have liked a bigger center channel, but to be honest this is more of a speaker macho thing than anything else - the little Evolution Acoustice (basically a flipped MMMicroOne) works very well. I tried a Sonus Faber Cremona M (2x the size and price) just a week ago, and it could not hold a candle to the EA.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Completely overhauled my system over the last year or two. This is what I have now. Hybrid 2 channel / MCH system with dedicated servers. The MCH server sits behind the rack feeding 3 x DirectStream from a Lynx card. The 2 channel server is bottom left, next to Oppo 103D. Both servers run Dirac Live DRC. All libraries are controlled from iPad JRiver/Jmedia. Amplification is Spectral. Also behind the rack are Shunyata Triton and Typhon conditioners. Main speakers and center are Evolution Acoustics. I have a pair of B&W NT8 Signature in-walls for surround. Just got my hands on a 2 x stereo Job 225 for amplification of Center / Surrounds. Will try the new PS Audio amp when released. I am not using any subs.

View attachment 18631

I was with you until I saw this
I am not using any subs.
... Ohhh the Heresy...Ohh the Horror .. :p

Joking :)

Wondefrul system . I have no doubt it sounds extraordinary...

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I was with you until I saw this ... Ohhh the Heresy...Ohh the Horror .. :p

Joking :)

Wondefrul system . I have no doubt it sounds extraordinary...

I figured I have 4 x 15" woofers and listen to 2 channel 90% of the time anyway, so I could forego the subs. I simply map my LFE channel to mains in Jriver and presto.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
I figured I have 4 x 15" woofers and listen to 2 channel 90% of the time anyway, so I could forego the subs. I simply map my LFE channel to mains in Jriver and presto.

Hi

Next room based system is still a few months off but I am debating between taking your route i-e server/MCH (Lyns Board + Outboard DACs) based system plus Jriver (incredible piece of software and yet shockingly inexpensive) plus amps or simply go Devialet 400 or 800 with Acourate on the NAS server for Room correction/crossovers/subs (of course) integration and call it a day. In due time...

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Hi

Next room based system is still a few months off but I am debating between taking your route i-e server/MCH (Lyns Board + Outboard DACs) based system plus Jriver (incredible piece of software and yet shockingly inexpensive) plus amps or simply go Devialet 400 or 800 with Acourate on the NAS server for Room correction/crossovers/subs (of course) integration and call it a day. In due time...

Only reason I am using Lynx and a stack of dac's is I want to keep my DACs options open, specifically for the mains. A very viable option is to get the exasound MCH DAC and use USB. No stack of DACs, no Lynx card, integrated volume control, lot less complexity, much less money and from what I hear very good sound. I would seriously consider this option if I were you. If I ever feel the need to take a substantial amount of cost out of my system and get 90% of the soundquality (I presume), this is what I would do. It is so much easier and cheaper, you can even just use the Exasound for MCH and use a higher caliber DAC alongside the Exasound for 2 channel playback. You could also use the beloved Jriver/Jremote combo in this setup. I have all my video ripped (movies / concert rips) and controlled via Jremote as well.

Classical.jpg
Movie-CLassics-2.jpg
Rock-COncerts-2.jpg

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Looks like a lot of fun Ed. Would love to here the Evolutions. I take it you're happy with Dirac?

I'm mid-overhaul as well. Adding a Marantz 8802 and additional speakers for Atmos/Auro, getting the new Scaena subs, replaced my ARC Ref210 monos w/the Ref 75/KT150 combo (major upgrade) and using the new NAD M27 for center/surround amplification. Other upgrades as well including the SE version of the AMR DP-777 dac which is a terrific piece. Will post pics when I'm a bit further along.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Looks like a lot of fun Ed. Would love to here the Evolutions. I take it you're happy with Dirac?

I'm mid-overhaul as well. Adding a Marantz 8802 and additional speakers for Atmos/Auro, getting the new Scaena subs, replaced my ARC Ref210 monos w/the Ref 75/KT150 combo (major upgrade) and using the new NAD M27 for center/surround amplification. Other upgrades as well including the SE version of the AMR DP-777 dac which is a terrific piece. Will post pics when I'm a bit further along.

I spoke with a dealer who has a brand new pair of MM3 packed up from a deal that fell through (sold to a guy in Brazil, who could not get the importing process worked out). If you want a killer deal on the speakers, this is your chance!

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Thanks for the headsup but happy with my Scaenas.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing