For you horn guys: What kind of compression driver are you using for high frequencies? Why that choice (if you know...)

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
I can't help but wonder whether the Creation stories are leaving out the part where the Creator goes through The Process again and again. Otherwise, "creation" seems like an incredibly boring job to me. Maybe those parts get glossed over because the passage of Time goes unnoticed when you are In The Zone.
Dear humans... circa 2000 grand creator reset... every new lifecycle is a possible ending or a chance at renewal... we have all moved more deeply and clearly into the age of uncertainty and just rolling out the old ways is perhaps just no longer viable.

Everything is new now. Information and strategy can no longer just be slavishly repeated any more. It won’t be enough. Every response and every moment requires creation from now on till further notice.
Good luck with it.

signed
the creator

Reactions: Duke LeJeune

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Not surprised to find THIS is the internet forum where you lurk.
Lol... I’m sure the destroyer of worlds is somewhere here also... they’re never far apart in any philosophical view :eek:

Just posting universal bulletins is a full time occupation I’m sure... and hope and comedy our best unifying salvation :D

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
He is way past his prime. Maximo three way for him.

I heard he retains coherence only in one way now. Beyond that too much complexity

Reactions: the sound of Tao

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Reactions: bonzo75

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
I heard he retains coherence only in one way now. Beyond that too much complexity
Which reminds me... Ked how were we supposed to get a sense of scale of Leif’s drivers (see how classy I am and I didn’t even go for the cheap horn gag) when you kept the camera pointed up the whole video... where is the size reference which we always get when your phone is pointing down?

Reactions: bonzo75

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
QUOTE="Duke LeJeune, post: 671134, member:Yess!! And ime the end vision may morph as you move closer to where it was, but that's just the nature of the beast, and part of what makes the creative process so interesting and rewarding.

I learned about the process playing with Legos as a kid: Rummage through the Lego bin and see what pieces are available, then you can start to imagine what can be created with them... but the process hasn't necessarily stopped. You might start out building a racing car and end up building a really sleek tank because that's where the process takes you. And the journey itself is arguably more rewarding than the destination... before long that sleek tank is evolving into a space ship. Speakers can be a big-boy version of Legos.

Mine was with Cuisinaire rods... simple coloured wooden blocks... ours was a small country town world and LEGO was great sophistication from the big smoke by comparison. Play is the start of every project. The preliminary design begins in the sandbox with a stick and sand to sketch into.

Ime the math and other details can make or break a loudspeaker design... fortunately the stakes aren't as high as in architecture!
YESS!! It's not until the process is underway, with Lego pieces scattered all around your almost-finished racing car, that you realize what it really wants to be is, a tank.

Love that... but I wanna be a tank. It’s like when you look at a great natural stone you can see the underlying story trying to get out. Or the first lines of charcoal on paper, the final image is already there underneath the very first markings. It just may not be what you first think it is.

The first thought I remember ever having was opening my eyes and being aware of a figure at the end of a long spiralling cord. I realised later it was my earliest recalled view of my mother ironing with the iron cord suspended across the ceiling. I asked my mum about it many years later and it was actually how she ironed when I was in my cot in our first house when I was a child for the first 18 months or so of my childhood. I won’t tell her but my fascination was actually in the spiral shape itself. My second earliest memory was sitting on my trike at about 3 years of age on the veranda eating a vegemite (Aussie salty black stuff) on Sao biscuits and squeezing the top and the bottom Saos and making dual golden butter and black vegemite interlaced spirals rise out of the little holes across the crispbread... I was fascinated by the spirals creating movement out and that the spiral tracing movement always leads back to itself... these are the two embedded earliest images I have and also my first experience of what numinous feels like... and I’ve been an unfortunately flowering designer ever since in my own kinder-garden trying to make sense out of the way shapes shape experience and how they lead us to unfold and also initiating into a budding/sprouting/culminating/dissolving Taoist ever since :rolleyes:... Please nobody mention the snowflake word lol.

It’s actually taken near a lifetime to finally come to understand what these images actually meant to me and why I sensed they were needing to be understood and how they never leave me and how they beautifully reflect the underlying unfolding and enmeshed pattern of life and our living.

Play is always the start of the great work.

I can't help but wonder whether the Creation stories are leaving out the part where the Creator goes through The Process again and again. Otherwise, "creation" seems like an incredibly boring job to me. Maybe those parts get glossed over because the passage of Time goes unnoticed when you are In The Zone.

I can just imagine a bad day at the creation office... Hmmm, well they’re much bigger than I expected, how is that ever going to be practical... [use the comet reset button] :eek:... whoops goes the dinosaurs... and hello to the age of the birds!!... :) and next!!!

Last edited:

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
Hello,
I always preferred a small compression driver mounted in a small horn to cover 5K-20KHz rather than a tweeter. I found that tweeters are so well integrated in a full horn system.
I had most Fostex tweeters, a Goto tweeter, some ribbons, some JBL tweeters, TAD 2001 and 4001 but ended up with small 1 inch compression drivers with non-metal diaphragm for the best integration.
It also allows making a coax system in some cases:

totaldac_coax_horn_1200.jpg

totaldac_coax_horn_side_1200.jpg

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Yes I have never understood what a bullet tweeter does, and the horns I liked usually had a smaller compression driver on top of the midrange. Leif and his friends too tried TAD tweeter and compression driver and preferred the compression driver. Bullet tweeters can possibly have different compression to the below horn and cause further issues.

Last edited:

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
Yes I have never understood what a bullet tweeter does, and the horns I liked usually had a smaller compression driver on top of the midrange.

Hello Bonzo

Have you ever listened to the 045Ti or 045Be?? I have them in my Arrays and center channel. They sound very good.

The bullet is just a ring radiator.

Rob :)

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Hello,
I always preferred a small compression driver mounted in a small horn to cover 5K-20KHz rather than a tweeter. I found that tweeters are so well integrated in a full horn system.
I had most Fostex tweeters, a Goto tweeter, some ribbons, some JBL tweeters, TAD 2001 and 4001 but ended up with small 1 inch compression drivers with non-metal diaphragm for the best integration.
It also allows making a coax system in some cases:

View attachment 69018

View attachment 69019

Hi,

What driver have you got in the white mid horn in which the tweeter horn sits? Is that netting for cats and young children?

Best wishes.

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
Hi,

What driver have you got in the white mid horn in which the tweeter horn sits? Is that netting for cats and young children?

Best wishes.

I use an Audax 6.5inch paper cone driver, a 100dB driver before being mounted in a horn. The protection is for children toys, but now there is a woven cinema screen in front of it.

screem_at_totaldac.jpg

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I use an Audax 6.5inch paper cone driver, a 100dB driver before being mounted in a horn. The protection is for children toys, but now there is a woven cinema screen in front of it.

View attachment 69028

Oh wow so the screen is permanent fixture as it is one of those acoustically transparent types?

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
Oh wow so the screen is permanent fixture as it is one of those acoustically transparent types?
Yes it is permanent. It is very transparent to the sound, unlike the perforated plastic screens which a not fully transparent to the sound.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Yes it is permanent. It is very transparent to the sound, unlike the perforated plastic screens which a not fully transparent to the sound.

Is it the Audax PR170M0?

Do you use analogue or digital crossover between the horns?

Best wishes.

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
Is it the Audax PR170M0?

Do you use analogue or digital crossover between the horns?

Best wishes.

Yes a PR170M0.
I made a passive crossover for this 3-way coax horn, so I can test any amplifier easily (this is more difficult with an active crossover as you would need 3 stereo amplifiers for a test).
I manufacture 3-way active digital crossovers, the d3-core for example with features at the bottom of this page http://www.totaldac.com/use_note.htm
I don't use it for this system nor for the d150-anniversary speakers just because I need to be able to swap DAC, preamps and amplfiers very quickly for customer demo or internal test purposes.
An active crossover is rather for a fixed installation although it is much easier to adjust than a passive crossover.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing