For you horn guys: What kind of compression driver are you using for high frequencies? Why that choice (if you know...)

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
Reactions: christoph and ddk

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hello Bonzo

Have you ever listened to the 045Ti or 045Be?? I have them in my Arrays and center channel. They sound very good.

The bullet is just a ring radiator.

Rob :)

hi yes, I heard a 2450 be with 045be. I couldn't isolate what the tweeter was doing though. I also heard a T925 fostex on top of an Altec, and a a couple of versions of JBL 2404 with the Altec. I think matching the dispersion of the tweeter in a horn to the midrange horn is important

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hello Bonzo

Have you ever listened to the 045Ti or 045Be?? I have them in my Arrays and center channel. They sound very good.

The bullet is just a ring radiator.

You should try Le85 above

Reactions: Robh3606

Duke LeJeune

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Jul 22, 2013
Princeton, Texas
hi yes, I heard a 2450 be with 045be. I couldn't isolate what the tweeter was doing though. I also heard a T925 fostex on top of an Altec, and a a couple of versions of JBL 2404 with the Altec. I think matching the dispersion of the tweeter in a horn to the midrange horn is important

Agreed.

Also imo if you're going to add a tweeter, be it horn or bullet or whatever, best to roll of the top end of the midrange driver. Otherwise you'll have a duet rather than a solo in the high overtones, which can in some cases be audible as such.

Last edited:

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
You should try Le85 above

I can't the way these systems are done the tweeter is built into the main horn. I know what you are getting at a friend had an all original pair that were almost out of the box new. He set them up, measured them and was blown away at how clean and extended they were!

Here is picture of my Array Horns really small throat that's a 1.5 for the mid compression driver.

Attachments

• 1400 Array Clone.jpg
    1400 Array Clone.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 10

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
Also imo if you're going to add a tweeter, be it horn or bullet or whatever, best to roll of the top end of the midrange driver. Otherwise you'll have a duet rather than a solo in the high overtones, which can in some cases be audible as such.

Agreed and the less overlap the better. This is what happens when you don't

Rob :) 720VoRazzfig4.jpg

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Just breaking it into small steps Ked, the journey of a thousand miles etc etc lol... I am but a mere design mortal... but I love process as much as outcome.
Just been reading and looking for inspiration and the preliminary design process is shifting for me. I’m still hovering over certain ideas but have a much stronger sense of the strategy and aims in what I am seeing in this build.

The biggest constraint I have is that I don’t have direct experience of many of the horns and driver combos I am drawn to and given travel constraints I can’t get it without some buy-in.

So for me the best thing you can do in a project when working with constraints is to just turn them into new potentials.

So rather than just focussing on primarily the design outcome of the speaker as my prime determination I’m going to use the project to explore different horn driver combos and learn more about horns, materials, drivers and crossovers. Current circumstances restrict any other way of getting this experience so I’ll just move forward and buy the options in and discover what to go with after experiencing them in longer term and have time to optimise the design by living with the options and perhaps understand more.

My aim now is to have the parts here ready to make the initial start of this build as my end of the year holiday project.

To go with the flow I already have the Pap 1.4 inch laminated birch iwata horn, I have been interested also in a SEOS and as well as a Klug multi cell.

So all three can be for a 1.4 inch CD so I’ll go for a 1.4 inch Radian beryllium driver and I already have a 1.4 inch Pap CD (likely a beyma) that is already playing beautifully.

I will try both these in an autotech Seos and the Markus Klug MK1505b as well as the Pap birch Iwata.

I’ll get the 3 x 15 inch drivers per side in for the folded OB subs plus a better mosfet amp and then I will have the option of trying out active with it all and also two LM SETs as an option or any combination of these.

Plus the modular crossovers in the original pap will serve as great testbeds for options on passive crossover development and I’ve got plenty of 14 awg upocc neotech silver cable for hookup as well to do something more final with at the end. So once I’ve confirmed a crossover I can then just go point to point with the same 14 awg silver hookup that I have now have for making the speaker cables for this setup.

I’ll get the additional 50mm bamboo baffles cnc’d up before the end of year when I visit a furniture maker up north who makes their own laminated bamboo material and do them in furniture grade finish when I’m upgrading my Pureaudioproject baffles (as this will also be a modular build). Will also get the same section and finish bamboo slabs for external crossover boxes, for component bases and for some boxes for new dedicated power circuits while I’m at it.

I have some adjustable steel speaker stands plus boxes of footers that I can use in this as well.

Last edited:

Jägerst.

May 5, 2020
Denmark
In response to the OP:

Back in the spring I opted to buy a pair of used pro cinema speakers intended for active configuration, the Electro-Voice TS940D-LX, simply out of curiosity and being in particular that they sport the EV DH1A compression driver. It's a beast of a driver (that was developed in '86) mounted to the HP940 Constant Directivity horn (Don Keele design), and we've crossed it just below 800Hz (789Hz, if I remember correctly) with the Xilica XP3060 digital cross-over, 36dB/octave L/R. From here it goes up rather smoothly to about 14kHz where it starts to roll off (see pic).

So, a 2-way design with two parallel coupled 15" drivers beneath it, and some would ask: why not a 3-way main speaker with a "super tweeter" on top from, say, 10kHz? You sense a bit of air lacking in the very upper extremes with select musical material (it's a 2" exit unit with the adapter, one must add, with a 3" voice coil), but to be honest I cherish the simplicity and the perceived more full-range driver sound it lends to itself; to my ears you cannot avoid hearing extra cross-over points having some impact, even very high in frequency, and I favor cohesion over extension. Choices, and compromises (my system is 3-way; tapped horn subs take over from 83Hz on down).

Why the DH1A? Admittedly I only read about it, but what I read drew an interesting picture of a driver of awesome power in addition to excellent sonic capabilities - even at low volumes (all of which I can readily confirm). Pro drivers, some say, aren't always adept at delivering nuance and subtleties in their presentation, let alone at lower volumes (many seem to require some "juice" to truly come alive), but the DH1A combines hifi-sensibilities with massive SPL delivery. A sledge hammer wrapped in satin, if you would.

And indeed, the DH1A delivers: coupled actively it sports a lovely and unforced presence, very authentic physicality and tone, and it's extremely resolved - not to mention insanely dynamic. If anything the HP940 may be the sonic bottleneck, even though it's enormously satisfying as is, and for best results the DH1A may see a better partner in the bigger HP9040 horn to truly harness the sheer energy produced by this driver. For now though I'm very happy with the sonic results of my system. In essence it's monitor set-up, but no less musical for being so - to my ears.

EDIT: supplied frequency curve of the DH1A through the HP940 horn only has 3 very small notches past 14kHz, and a slight peak damping at approx. 13.2kHz.

Attachments

• IMG_1613 (2).JPG
    IMG_1613 (2).JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
In response to the OP:

Back in the spring I opted to buy a pair of used pro cinema speakers intended for active configuration, the Electro-Voice TS940D-LX, simply out of curiosity and being in particular that they sport the EV DH1A compression driver. It's a beast of a driver (that was developed in '86) mounted to the HP940 Constant Directivity horn (Don Keele design), and we've crossed it just below 800Hz (789Hz, if I remember correctly) with the Xilica XP3060 digital cross-over, 36dB/octave L/R. From here it goes up rather smoothly to about 14kHz where it starts to roll off (see pic).

So, a 2-way design with two parallel coupled 15" drivers beneath it, and some would ask: why not a 3-way main speaker with a "super tweeter" on top from, say, 10kHz? You sense a bit of air lacking in the very upper extremes with select musical material (it's a 2" exit unit with the adapter, one must add, with a 3" voice coil), but to be honest I cherish the simplicity and the perceived more full-range driver sound it lends to itself; to my ears you cannot avoid hearing extra cross-over points having some impact, even very high in frequency, and I favor cohesion over extension. Choices, and compromises (my system is 3-way; tapped horn subs take over from 83Hz on down).

Why the DH1A? Admittedly I only read about it, but what I read drew an interesting picture of a driver of awesome power in addition to excellent sonic capabilities - even at low volumes (all of which I can readily confirm). Pro drivers, some say, aren't always adept at delivering nuance and subtleties in their presentation, let alone at lower volumes (many seem to require some "juice" to truly come alive), but the DH1A combines hifi-sensibilities with massive SPL delivery. A sledge hammer wrapped in satin, if you would.

And indeed, the DH1A delivers: coupled actively it sports a lovely and unforced presence, very authentic physicality and tone, and it's extremely resolved - not to mention insanely dynamic. If anything the HP940 may be the sonic bottleneck, even though it's enormously satisfying as is, and for best results the DH1A may see a better partner in the bigger HP9040 horn to truly harness the sheer energy produced by this driver. For now though I'm very happy with the sonic results of my system. In essence it's monitor set-up, but no less musical for being so - to my ears.

EDIT: supplied frequency curve of the DH1A through the HP940 horn only has 3 very small notches past 14kHz, and a slight peak damping at approx. 13.2kHz.
Nice story, thx! I too have decided I like a two-way for coherence. Since you are using a digital crossover, did you try boosting the top octave a bit to get a bit more air and openness? Did EV make the same driver with a 1.4 or 1.5 inch exit? My Beyma in a cd horn benefits from some lift above 10khz.

Jägerst.

May 5, 2020
Denmark
Nice story, thx! I too have decided I like a two-way for coherence.

Thanks :) And yes, there is something beguiling about fewer cross-over points, but where I wouldn't want to be without a 3-way set-up is crossing over to a pair (or more) of subs hereby relieving the 2-way mains from the midbass and down, preferably crossed no lower than 80Hz (meaning: the mains will need to be high-passed, and so not to add a digital XO on top of a passive filter my advice would be to go fully active with the mains as well). High-passing the mains fairly high is all about achieving proper energy coherence in the presentation for a more authentic, live feel, and active configuration only adds to this quality vs. a passive filter - to my ears.

Since you are using a digital crossover, did you try boosting the top octave a bit to get a bit more air and openness?

Yes, that's what named 3 notches was about to achieve, but we wound up using less dB-correction to instead go for a more natural character in the last audible octave (erasing a slightly can-ey imprinting here that made strings in particular sound less convincing), using more energy to find out where to be place the notches, at the price of ultimate extension. Trying to compensate more heavily (i.e.: with more dB's) for the roll-off resulted in an overall less natural presentation in the upper octaves.

Did EV make the same driver with a 1.4 or 1.5 inch exit?

The DH1A comes pre-assembled with an adapter that converts what's inherently a 1.4" exit design into a 2" ditto. The adapter can be removed if a suitable 1.4" exit horn is preferred.

My Beyma in a cd horn benefits from some lift above 10khz.

What are using below the Beyma compression driver/horn combination, and do you run them actively as well?

Last edited:

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Thanks :) And yes, there is something beguiling about fewer cross-over points, but where I wouldn't want to be without a 3-way set-up is crossing over to a pair (or more) of subs hereby relieving the 2-way mains from the midbass and down, preferably crossed no lower than 80Hz (meaning: the mains will need to be high-passed, and so not to add a digital XO on top of a passive filter my advice would be to go fully active with the mains as well). High-passing the mains fairly high is all about achieving proper energy coherence in the presentation for a more authentic, live feel, and active configuration only adds to this quality vs. a passive filter - to my ears.

Yes, that's what named 3 notches was about to achieve, but we indeed up using less dB-correction to instead go for a more natural character in the last audible octave (erasing a slightly can-ey imprinting here that made strings in particular sound less convincing), using more energy to find out where to be place the notches, at the price of ultimate extension. Trying to compensate more heavily (i.e.: with more dB's) for the roll-off resulted in an overall less natural presentation in the upper octaves.

The DH1A comes pre-assembled with an adapter that converts what's inherently a 1.4" exit design into a 2" ditto. The adapter can be removed if a suitable 1.4" exit horn is preferred.

What are using below the Beyma compression driver/horn combination, and do you run them actively as well?
I run a Supravox 215-2000 “full range “ driver in a TQWT cabinet. Crossover is 1khz. I am using a mini-dsp nanodigi with to external DACs and two sets of amps (SEP on bass and 300b monos on the horn).

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
D772438D-15F9-4015-8D37-D9B61E1A8C47.jpeg

So... :) these landed in a delivery today... 8 x 15 inch neodymium woofers to keep me busy and get under way with the big horn build in the New Year.

So I have frames and baffles on their way as well.

I thought about what would be the best approach for me... I’ve decided to go with a development of something that I know and really love and try a range of ways to further develop and modify it.

I love the sound of the Pureaudioproject Trio Horn1 that I already have. I asked myself what do I love most about the OB horns that I have had for a bit under two years... and then what would I like to have more of.

Best parts... OB immediacy, coherency, dynamics, just a very natural sound and with moments of realness. Agile bass with more real texture and a natural agility. What more am I chasing? With the mods I’ve done to external crossover and parts and wiring the Pureaudioproject Trio horns play fairly much all types of music convincingly... and musically. They excel at largish through to medium and right down to intimate scales of music. They even do large symphonic work very impressively... but that is the area I’d like to stretch them even further. For that I just feel I need to go big. Hence full size full range OB panels with 8 mid-woofers and a wide-range horn above with really super well specd x-over and wire.

I played with the notion of adding folded OB subs but I feel I need to make the full range even more full range first and evaluate for OB subs then.

So I’m buying in the bigger brother Pureaudioproject Quintet 15 to use as a base to discover, explore and hopefully take it to even fuller expression by developing a great design even a bit further (if possible) through parts as well as materials and more.

I’m keeping the Trio horn as a reference and have options to possibly take that further as well including considering trying going with it as a modified flh horn as well... plus as 2 way or a 3 way... and potentially also with and without additional OB subwoofers.

So which CD and horn combination will I use? I’ll start by swapping in the current wood Iwata horns that I have into the large quintet 8 x 15 inch woofer platform and first use the 1.4 inch pap compression drivers (out of my current Pureaudioproject Trio horn). I’ll establish a base point for understanding what (twice as many) 8 x 15 inch woofers per side will do in concert with the current Pap iwata horn1.

It usually takes a couple of hundred hours to burn the big Neodymium woofers in, and also they do change up quite a bit initially.

Once everything is settled in I’ll then roll in other horn and driver combinations to see what is best. After getting an understanding of what the stock Pap horn will do but with more woofers I’ll then try other horn CD combinations starting with radian beryllium compression drivers in a SEOS waveguide horn.

The modular x/over of the quintet Pap platform gives me options to try different values and parts and even later go a separate tweeter horn as well... although I’d like to try and stay just with the Radian CD as a wide ranger if I can to make it as coherent as possible... I’m definitely a less is more guy if I can make going simpler work.

I’ll also be able to try the 8 woofers as running either as 2 way or as a 2.5 way configuration and make the outer woofers cross in at about 80/100 hz as another option (I have read that going 2.5 way isn’t always a win win outcome).

I’ll still have my current Trio horns here to use as a reference benchmark for sound/balance performance etc. as I go.

I’m really looking forward to the project now as it’s feeling like a really good direction to grow towards with next year and the horns I listen to all the time will still be here to play while I work and play with developing the new big horns.

Once I have the final configuration of horn and drivers and xover parts determined I’ll then consider things like customising the baffles with furniture grade bamboo slab and also consider trialling active biamping... in which case I’d be able to consider a type 50 or 45 amp for the wide range horn... still very early days so I will let the design process unfold more as I go.

I won’t go forward with OB subs at least until I’ve heard the mains with horn at any rate and after all the Neo woofers have well and truly settled in.

I’ll be wiring it all up with Neotech pure silver hookup cable... it’s the same cable as i am using in making new speaker cables with so all the cable will be all the same loom through the big horn system... the cable is excellent and even gives the Wireworld platinum cables a run for the money. Using this for the external xovers and driver hookup will be a big step up and will possibly help make the beryllium radians carry the signal over from the neodymium mid-woofers and all the way up to the top.

Big scale, a sea of woofers to make the air move and super coherency are some of the main goals for the project. Excited to get the 8 15 inch woofers as it really feels it’s under way now after a few months of preliminary thinking, research and initial drawings. Onwards and upwards he says (hopefully) :)

Last edited:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
View attachment 71577

So... :) these landed in a delivery today... 8 x 15 inch neodymium woofers to keep me busy and get under way with the big horn build in the New Year.

I thought about what would be the best approach for me... I’ve decided to go with a development of something that I know and really love and try a range of ways to further develop and modify it.

I love the sound of the Pureaudioproject Trio Horn1 that I already have. I asked myself what do I love most about the OB horns that I have had for a bit under two years... and then what would I like to have more of.

Best parts... OB immediacy, coherency, dynamics, just a very natural sound and with moments of realness. Agile bass with more real texture and a natural agility. What more am I chasing? With the mods I’ve done to external crossover and parts and wiring the Pureaudioproject Trio horns play fairly much all types of music convincingly... and musically. They excel at largish through to medium and right down to intimate scales of music. They even do large symphonic work very impressively... but that is the area I’d like to stretch them even further. For that I just feel I need to go big. Hence full size full range OB panels with 8 mid-woofers and a wide-range horn above with really super well specd x-over and wire.

I played with the notion of adding folded OB subs but I feel I need to make the full range even more full range first and evaluate for OB subs then.

So I’m buying in the bigger brother Pureaudioproject Quintet 15 to use as a base to discover, explore and hopefully take it to even fuller expression by developing a great design even a bit further (if possible) through parts as well as materials and more.

I’m keeping the Trio horn as a reference and have options to possibly take that further as well including considering trying going with it as a modified flh horn as well... plus as 2 way or a 3 way... and potentially also with and without additional OB subwoofers.

So which CD and horn combination will I use? I’ll start by swapping in the current wood Iwata horns that I have into the large quintet 8 x 15 inch woofer platform and first use the 1.4 inch pap compression drivers (out of my current Pureaudioproject Trio horn). I’ll establish a base point for understanding what (twice as many) 8 x 15 inch woofers per side will do in concert with the current Pap iwata horn1.

It usually takes a couple of hundred hours to burn the big Neodymium woofers in, and also they do change up quite a bit initially.

Once everything is settled in I’ll then roll in other horn and driver combinations to see what is best. After getting an understanding of what the stock Pap horn will do but with more woofers I’ll then try other horn CD combinations starting with radian beryllium compression drivers in a SEOS waveguide horn.

The modular x/over of the quintet Pap platform gives me options to try different values and parts and even later go a separate tweeter horn as well... although I’d like to try and stay just with the Radian CD as a wide ranger if I can to make it as coherent as possible... I’m definitely a less is more guy if I can make going simpler work.

I’ll also be able to try the 8 woofers as running either as 2 way or as a 2.5 way configuration and make the outer woofers cross in at about 80/100 hz as another option (I have read that going 2.5 way isn’t always a win win outcome).

I’ll still have my current Trio horns here to use as a reference benchmark for sound/balance performance etc. as I go.

I’m really looking forward to the project now as it’s feeling like a really good direction to grow towards with next year and the horns I listen to all the time will still be here to play while I work and play with developing the new big horns.

Once I have the final configuration of horn and drivers and xover parts determined I’ll then consider things like customising the baffles with furniture grade bamboo slab and also consider trialling active biamping... in which case I’d be able to consider a type 50 or 45 amp for the wide range horn... still very early days so I will let the design process unfold more as I go.

I won’t go forward with OB subs at least until I’ve heard the mains with horn at any rate and after all the Neo woofers have well and truly settled in.

I’ll be wiring it all up with Neotech pure silver hookup cable... it’s the same cable as i am using in making new speaker cables with so all the cable will be all the same loom through the big horn system... the cable is excellent and even gives the Wireworld platinum cables a run for the money. Using this for the external xovers and driver hookup will be a big step up and will possibly help make the beryllium radians carry the signal over from the neodymium mid-woofers and all the way up to the top.

Big scale, a sea of woofers to make the air move and super coherency are some of the main goals for the project. Excited to get the 8 15 inch woofers as it really feels it’s under way now after a few months of preliminary thinking, research and initial drawings. Onwards and upwards he says (hopefully) :)

That sounds like a wonderful plan :cool:

In fact, that sounds like several wonderful plans :D

Reactions: the sound of Tao

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
That sounds like a wonderful plan :cool:

In fact, that sounds like several wonderful plans :D
Thanks Christoph, covering some options that should keep me occupied for more than a while. I’ll admit I’m really looking forward to finding out about how a few different horns sound. I’m playing a bit safe by putting in a known base as a platform but it puts the variables into a more manageable framework. I have no exact idea how it might work out but the thought of playing is the main draw.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Thanks Christoph, covering some options that should keep me occupied for more than a while. I’ll admit I’m really looking forward to finding out about how a few different horns sound. I’m playing a bit safe by putting in a known base as a platform but it puts the variables into a more manageable framework. I have no exact idea how it might work out but the thought of playing is the main draw.

The journey is as enjoyable and critical as the outcome :)

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
The journey is as enjoyable and critical as the outcome :)
That is it for me as well. I love the exploration and design process itself and the way it takes you kind of where it will. I am inspired and excited also when I read of other’s taking different journeys and really love the way that the same fundamental idea can take you on so many pathways. I’m really looking forward to all the current projects under way and seeing how your’s, Kodomo’s and Duke’s projects eventuate and how different they likely all will be.

Last edited:

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
View attachment 71577

How low can you go with the PAP horn?

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Brad I’m going to have to measure it, I’m thinking it is possibly crossing at 550/600hz or thereabouts. I think the Pap horn is a Beyma, it sounds good, even better than good. I think it will end up on either the current Trios or the new big horn... I find it’s balance and the way it makes the focus on music fairly compelling. But I’m happy to explore and my mind is open. In many ways the notion of modularity is at the core of the design concept that Ze’ev Schlik from Pureaudioproject originally proposed. I’m just extending on that idea.

Last edited:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Wouldn't it also have been possible to upgrade your PAP Trio Horn to Quintet Horn instead of buying completely new additionally?

I'm VERY curious about your sub-solution.
Please open a dedicated thread for those adventures and let us "accompany" you along the way :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: the sound of Tao

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
That is it for me as well. I love the exploration and design process itself and the way it takes you kind of where it will. I am inspired and excited also when I read of other’s taking different journeys and really love the way that the same fundamental idea can take you on so many pathways. I’m really looking forward to all the current projects under way and seeing how your’s, Kodomo’s and Duke’s projects eventuate and how different they likely all will be.

Funny, I have been cooking a lot these days and was on my family chat running some recipes by my expert aunts. They said stop asking questions and just follow instructions. I said part of the fun is just chatting about it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing