For Those Naysayers...

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I don't find myself in agreement with Mr. Mark Waldrep's views. In fact, if he was standing in the same room with me and told me it was sunny outside, I would look for myself to make sure.

He's been spewing his BS at a couple of shows now most recently Capital AudioFest. Kind of reads like that other thread. His biggest complaint is that they didn't include the decimation. Just to show you he has his mind made up, he didn't even listen to any of the files. Just to show you how lazy and poor this article is, he could have easily called Chad and gotten the files to review. Did he do that? No, because that might have taken some effort rather than promoting his own agenda.

And he has one for sure. Read the contradictions in the Snow Ghost piece. You have to love how he spoke for everyone there too.

You also have wonder at his amazing wandering swipe at Cookie in the Sony HRA piece. Do you know any audiophile who listens to or uses an AIX recording as a reference?

Last edited:

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
He's been spewing his BS at a couple of shows now most recently Capital AudioFest. Kind of reads like that other thread.

You also have to remember Mark has an agenda to sell his PCM files. It would not behoove him to tout the merits of DSD.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
You also have to remember Mark has an agenda to sell his PCM files. It would not behoove him to tout the merits of DSD.

Really I would have never guessed. Gotta love the comments about how he and Weiss are on the same page. Yeah it's the old great men think alike but fools seldom differ.

By the way he says, "AIX Records was founded by Dr. Mark Waldrep in 2000 as one of the first (if not the first) high -definition audio label.

(Visited 285 times)."

Really? What about Chesky, RR, DMP, Pope, Dorian, Telarc, etc.? He seems awfully impressed with himself.

Last edited:

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

I could tell he had an agenda, but I didn't know he was selling PCM files. That explains a few things. If you are in the business of selling and promoting PCM digital, it only makes sense that you wouldn't have kind words for DSD. I have been saying all along that the reason I like DSD is because it sounds more like analog than any other digital format I have heard. It appears that there are a fair amount of people who feel the same way because I read that analogy quite often.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I think that AIX had a big display at the Chicago Axpona show and were selling their AIX discs. I remember looking at them and I guess I didn't like they music they had because I wasn't tempted to get my wallet out and buy any of them. I did come back with some new LPs though.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I was at that show in JAcksonville since it's close to home and I would say that demonstration was 'attended" .

Well Attended = describes an event where many people are present:

I count 12 in the picture. Well attended to me means the room is at least full.

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
If you are in the business of selling and promoting PCM digital, it only makes sense that you wouldn't have kind words for DSD. I have been saying all along that the reason I like DSD is because it sounds more like analog than any other digital format I have heard.

Well, maybe I'll play Bad Company tonight ...

Your confused, Mark business isn't simply selling a format, more important ... he's selling a complete MUSICAL product/package.

I've met Mark, and he's a character to say the least. His "too much dynamic range" story seemed misguided ... and it's beyond obvious he doesn't really understand the true potential of turntables. That said, if his musical product is what you covet, and many do, you're paying, and receiving some of the best possible high quality digital transfers.

tb1

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Well, maybe I'll play Bad Company tonight ...

Your confused, Mark business isn't simply selling a format, more important ... he's selling a complete MUSICAL product/package.

I've met Mark, and he's a character to say the least. His "too much dynamic range" story seemed misguided ... and it's beyond obvious he doesn't really understand the true potential of turntables. That said, if his musical product is what you covet, and many do, you're paying, and receiving some of the best possible high quality digital transfers.

tb1

You are absolutely correct, I am confused. I thought he was selling PCM recordings of mainly musicians I have never heard of with his own definition of what constitutes a "high definition" recording:

"According to my definition, a tracks that contains frequencies up to 48 kHz or even more and a dynamic range approaching 130 dB qualifies as HD. If the specs of a recordings falls short of these numbers then it would be standard definition.

As a result, CDs, analog tape and vinyl are all standard definition."

So how many of his recordings actually have captured 130dB of dynamic range? Over 120dB of dynamic range? Over a 100dB of dynamic range? It's one thing to have gear that is theoretically able to capture and playback that much dynamic range, quite another to have software that actually contains anything approaching that type of dynamic range. So by Mark's definition, if his recordings don't really approach 130dB of dynamic range, then they are "standard definition" as well.

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
So how many of his recordings actually have captured 130dB of dynamic range? Over 120dB of dynamic range? Over a 100dB of dynamic range? It's one thing to have gear that is theoretically able to capture and playback that much dynamic range, quite another to have software that actually contains anything approaching that type of dynamic range. So by Mark's definition, if his recordings don't really approach 130dB of dynamic range, then they are "standard definition" as well.

I get it, that's why I said that I thought his dynamic range story misguided.

But that's neither here nor there considering the overall sonic package he's offering.

I thought he was selling PCM recordings of mainly musicians I have never heard of with his own definition of what constitutes a "high definition" recording:

He's also selling his knowledge, processes, and recording experience.

Hey, you don't have to like it ...

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I get it, that's why I said that I thought his dynamic range story misguided.

But that's neither here nor there considering the overall sonic package he's offering.

I don't agree one bit (no digital pun intended). If you are going to stick your nose up in the air and crap on everyone who claims to put out HD music that doesn't meet your specifications for how you have defined HD music and you can't meet your own specs either, what does that say about you??

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Ok boys...educate me....

At what resolution is it considered hi-rez? 44? 88? 96? etc....., and yes, I know others factors come into play.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Ok boys...educate me....

At what resolution is it considered hi-rez? 44? 88? 96? etc....., and yes, I know others factors come into play.

Whose definition are you looking for?

mep

Apr 20, 2010
He's also selling his knowledge, processes, and recording experience.

And holding others up to standards/specifications that he defined and can't meet either.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing