Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Thanks Bruce

Meaning there is no standard? If not, what is it for you?

I just asked that question because someone who is very pretentious said you had to capture 130dB of dynamic range on your recording or else it was "standard" definition audio.

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
I don't agree one bit (no digital pun intended). If you are going to stick your nose up in the air and crap on everyone who claims to put out HD music that doesn't meet your specifications for how you have defined HD music and you can't meet your own specs either, what does that say about you??

Well, lets see, to me ... it says you're no different than so many other arrogant "people" in the industry, many within ear shot.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Well, lets see, to me ... it says you're no different than so many other arrogant "people" in the industry, many within ear shot.

Really? How so? I didn't make any claims about how great my recordings are and crap on my competitors' recordings if they don't meet specifications I laid down and can't meet either. So how am I arrogant for pointing out someone playing fast and loose with the truth? Are you affiliated with AIX in some way?

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
Buy AIX recordings?

Not my particular cup of tea.

BTW, you thinking that SACD sounds more "analog", I ask you this, does that apply to only DSD originals? Because if not, would your "analog" description include flat lifeless bass, a highish truncated noise floor and screaming highs?

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
I didn't make any claims about how great my recordings are and crap on my competitors' recordings if they don't meet specifications

Please stop taking my text out of context, in this case, I didn't mean you ... unless the shoe fits ... of course.

Are you affiliated with AIX in some way?

(sigh)

tb1

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Not my particular cup of tea.

BTW, you thinking that SACD sounds more "analog", I ask you this, does that apply to only DSD originals? Because if not, would your "analog" description include flat lifeless bass, a highish truncated noise floor and screaming highs?

??? Please explain your questions a little better because I want to make sure I understand you before I respond.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
what if it still sounds like crap?

being hi-rez has nothing to do with how it sounds. there are plenty of hi-rez titles that sound like crap.
the mastering and post production have more influence than what the final format will be.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
So there is no standard? Perhaps anything other than RBCD is Hi-rez then or could be considered as such.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Please stop taking my text out of context, in this case, I didn't mean you ... unless the shoe fits ... of course.

(sigh)

tb1

Since you quoted me, I assumed you were directing your comment back to me. Having reread it and your explanation, I get it.

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
Please laugh while you explain yourself.

Certainly!

You and Mr.Cantankerous consistently try and bait others using miss-quotes; fictional content, or condescending flaims. If silly assumptions and childish ridicule are considered valid debating "skills" around here ... well ... I can only conclude that whatever I, or anyone else with a differing opinion may claim ... won't really matter.

Therefore your "because I want to make sure I understand you before I respond." was hilariously ironic.

tb1

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
So there is no standard? Perhaps anything other than RBCD is Hi-rez then or could be considered as such.

IMO, true Hi-Rez reproduction cannot be related to an individual format because ALL formats are slaved to the quality of it's source. Therefore, "hi-rez" is a system inititive that's directly related to the quality of its source material first and foremost ... despite each formats (theoretical) respective sonic ceiling.

Julf

Nov 27, 2011
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
IMO, true Hi-Rez reproduction cannot be related to an individual format because ALL formats are slaved to the quality of it's source. Therefore, "hi-rez" is a system inititive that's directly related to the quality of its source material first and foremost ... despite each formats (theoretical) respective sonic ceiling.

You could take "hi-res" as a purely technical description - as in "having higher than normal resolution". By that definition any bit rate / word length beyond 44.1/16 would be *technically* hi-res, independent of the quality of the actual content, just like it is used in photography to signify the number of pixels, independent of the artistic quality of the photograph itself...

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
By that definition any bit rate / word length beyond 44.1/16 would be *technically* hi-res, independent of the quality of the actual content, just like it is used in photography to signify the number of pixels, independent of the artistic quality of the photograph itself...

Exactly, especially true considering that both audio/photography require proper focus in order to deliver true hi-rez ... despite pixel/bit counts.

tb1

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Exactly, especially true considering that both audio/photography require proper focus in order to deliver true hi-rez ... despite pixel/bit counts.

tb1

so it's all in the mastering then? The same guy who did a great 16/44.1 can't top himself with more bits and samples at his disposal from recording all the way down to mastering? It's already obvious how much less peak limiting he'll need for the latter, that is something you can't fix once it's there.

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
The same guy who did a great 16/44.1 can't top himself with more bits and samples at his disposal from recording all the way down to mastering?

Perhaps the more relevant question ... can he "top himself" simply by using more bits/samples?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing