Fng

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS

In another life, I used to post on audio boards as Fear3000. I like records. A lot.

Felix

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

In another life, I used to post on audio boards as Fear3000. I like records. A lot.

Felix

hello Felix, welcome to WBF. i think i recall Fear3000 from my early AA days, back in 2000. am i confused is does that sound right?

nice Lp collection BTW, nice to have you join us.

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
Hi Mike. Thank you for the welcome. Yes, you do remember me from the early days of AA. I remember you, as well.

This is really a very nice forum. I appreciate the idea of quality.

Felix

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
--Hi Felix, I believe that we met before ...

A Big Warm Welcome! . And please make yourself comfortable at home and share with us your musical ideas, musical dreams, musical emotions, ... :b

Cheers & Regards,
Bob

* Your room, I did make a comment previously; it truly reminds me of Jimmy Page's main listening room of his home in the UK.
If you want to see what I mean, just ask me and I will provide you with a link. :b

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
I like records. A lot.

You think? :) Hello, Shaffer and welcome to the WBF. That's quite the collection you have there. Makes me wonder whether or not you have support underneath the sub floor...that's a lot of weight!

Tom

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Welcome Felix!
BTW, you won - my LPs are stored in bookcases having five rows. How do you access the upper ones? ;)

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
Welcome Felix!
BTW, you won - my LPs are stored in bookcases having five rows. How do you access the upper ones? ;)

I use a small stool. You can see it on the floor toward the left.

Welcome to he forum Felix. That seems like an extensive collection of LPs!

Thank you for the kind welcome.

--Hi Felix, I believe that we met before ...

A Big Warm Welcome! . And please make yourself comfortable at home and share with us your musical ideas, musical dreams, musical emotions, ... :b

Cheers & Regards,
Bob

* Your room, I did make a comment previously; it truly reminds me of Jimmy Page's main listening room of his home in the UK.
If you want to see what I mean, just ask me and I will provide you with a link. :b

Hi Bob. How could I forget the Page comment? I'm beaming with pride. :)

You think? :) Hello, Shaffer and welcome to the WBF. That's quite the collection you have there. Makes me wonder whether or not you have support underneath the sub floor...that's a lot of weight!

Tom

Hi Tom. The shelves on a load-bearing wall of the house. When we moved in, for about 6 months, we had the LPs in boxes in a spare bedroom. After a time, one could literally see the floor bending under the weight. Brrr...

Felix

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I wonder how many people on this forum understand what FNG means.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
---- What do you mean Mark?

What part do I need to explain?

* By the way, how's your progress with the Onkyo TX-NR3010 amazing AV receiver? :b

I finally got everything put together and hooked up last weekend. The TN-NR3010 is super-complicated. Tons of menus and sub-menus to deal with. No easy way to switch between the different formats like Dolby digital and THX that I have found so far. It sounds real good for what I use it for. It can supposedly decode DSD, but I haven't tried that.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I finally got everything put together and hooked up last weekend. The TN-NR3010 is super-complicated.

Mep,

Even more complicated than adjusting the bias of a Jadis amplifier?

Sorry, could not resist - and I also hate AV menus! ;)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
What part do I need to explain?

---- If there's more than one part, then all of them. :b

I finally got everything put together and hooked up last weekend. The TN-NR3010 is super-complicated. Tons of menus and sub-menus to deal with. No easy way to switch between the different formats like Dolby digital and THX that I have found so far. It sounds real good for what I use it for. It can supposedly decode DSD, but I haven't tried that.

1. You can dedicate a particular surround audio mode for each input, and also if it's digital or analog.
{Read your manual carefully by taking your time, and explore in real practice.}

TIP: On your remote, Surr button, and also THX button. ...And last, Audio Sel button.
{And go to the section Listening Mode Preset.}

===> If you tell me exactly what you wish to do, perhaps then I can help you.

2. Yes, it can pass DSD bitstream straight; there is a section specifically dedicated on that.
- You have the option to downconvert it to PCM, or as is, pure DSD stream.

* Of course it is complicated because it contains so many features and options and settings.
Plus it performs all of them very well. And that's why you bought it in the first place; so take your time to get acquainted.
If you want simplicity in your life, go fishing instead. :b
But if you truly want to explore the magics of surrounds and all that audio/video jazz, then it's a journey without frontiers and destinations. ...The goal is with time you are in a constant nirvana world filled with auditory and visual pleasures.
You never reach any destination; the journey is it. And the search for nirvana is in itself part of that nirvana. :b

- I'm here to help, so when you're ready for specific questions, I'm pretty good with Onkyo/Integra AV receivers and Surround Sound Processors. ...So are few other members here, like Kal Rubinson for example.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Thought I'd chime in and say welcome Shaffer?!

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Mep,

Even more complicated than adjusting the bias of a Jadis amplifier?

Sorry, could not resist - and I also hate AV menus! ;)

Micro-Setting the bias on a Jadis Defy 7 is not a complicated process, it’s just a pain in the ass and dangerous for those born with 10 thumbs. I just always thought it showed poor engineering skills on behalf of Jadis. Having to flip a 100 lb amp on its side, remove the bottom cover, ground your DVM to the chassis and then hook up the positive side to one side of the cathode fuse for each tube, add the three measurements together for each bank of three tubes (times four banks of tubes) and then average the measurements and adjust the one trim pot for each bank of tubes to try and get close to what the bias should be was just outrageously poor engineering. Not to mention reinstalling the bottom cover and flipping the amp back over after you have finished the bias procedure.

And yes, setting up the Onkyo is way complicated compared to any two channel system.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Micro-Setting the bias on a Jadis Defy 7 is not a complicated process, it’s just a pain in the ass and dangerous for those born with 10 thumbs. I just always thought it showed poor engineering skills on behalf of Jadis. Having to flip a 100 lb amp on its side, remove the bottom cover, ground your DVM to the chassis and then hook up the positive side to one side of the cathode fuse for each tube, add the three measurements together for each bank of three tubes (times four banks of tubes) and then average the measurements and adjust the one trim pot for each bank of tubes to try and get close to what the bias should be was just outrageously poor engineering. Not to mention reinstalling the bottom cover and flipping the amp back over after you have finished the bias procedure.

And yes, setting up the Onkyo is way complicated compared to any two channel system.

Was that peculiar to the Defy? I don't remember my friend with a JA-60 having to do that?

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Was that peculiar to the Defy? I don't remember my friend with a JA-60 having to do that?

Myles-I have no idea. The Defy 7 MKII is the only Jadis amp I have ever owned.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing