FM Acoustics amps

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
We thanks Mr. Wizard for all the FMA info he passed along, it was very enlightening.

djanggo

Aug 7, 2011
That's what I'm thinking

+2

We lost him on JV's Soulution710 thread years back on similar account. Several members there accused him of shilling/being a Soulution, Magico dealer then which was later proven wrong. We wanted him back, but was too late, gone was he along with most of his postings and photos. His posts and scoop pictures of latest/soon to be released equipments are, imo, what's keeping most of the manufacturers thread in various Forums alive. In keeping with what the current state of high end has to offer, I'd say he has access and had contributed much more than most of us. Sorry to see him leave here. What's Best loss.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
IMO Wizard was the source of countless amazing photos of gear and details of such. I too would be saddened to see him go. I'm hoping he will step to the plate and send Mike a photo as requested

Seems like that is the first thing he would have done and not taken his ball and bat and went home sulking. I didn't get the comment about not wanting to post pictures of his system on the internet. Why not? You either have the gear you say you do or you don't. I don't know what the truth is, I just found his response weird.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I agree. his photo's were interesting...his assertions as to FM's superiority over all others, not so much.

Personally any time I have heard FMA gear I was always impressed. It is certainly far more common to see FMA gear in Europe and Asia than here in the USA. I know many audiophiles who still use FMA gear that is 20+ years old and it still competes with more contemporary gear just fine. I wouldn't be so hasty to discount it Christian.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Still, I wonder why it (FM) doesn't have more market penetration in the US ? I have never seen a review of any of their equipment in US review mags such as stereophile and TAS. They appear to make no marketing effort in one of the biggest hi fi markets in the world...The US.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Still, I wonder why it (FM) doesn't have more market penetration in the US ? I have never seen a review of any of their equipment in US review mags such as stereophile and TAS. They appear to make no marketing effort in one of the biggest hi fi markets in the world...The US.

Christian-When you say they make no marketing effort in the U.S., I don't believe that is true. They do advertise in the high-end rags and have for years and advertising counts as marketing in my book.

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
I completely understand his position, the desire to stay anonymous, and not wanting pictures of his system floating around the net. He doesn't need to send or show ANYONE pictures of his system.

If you don't like his perspective on the way amplifiers sound then don't read his posts. If he prefers brand X to your DartZeel 458 then deal with it.

He was a top contributor and the way he was treated was completely uncalled for.

Wizard, please don't take all this too seriously, I hope we will see you back soon...

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Mark:

looking back, you are right. Why then no reviews in major mags ? At least a guideline on how they sound compared to other amps in that category. My gut tells me you can find a better sounding amp than FM for 1/2 the cost if we are talking their $120k model. Perhaps FM is afraid to expose their "expensive" mystique to objective and subjective review.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I completely understand his position, the desire to stay anonymous, and not wanting pictures of his system floating around the net. He doesn't need to send or show ANYONE pictures of his system.

If you don't like his perspective on the way amplifiers sound then don't read his posts. If he prefers brand X to your DartZeel 458 then deal with it.

He was a top contributor and the way he was treated was completely uncalled for.

Wizard, please don't take all this too seriously, I hope we will see you back soon...

I disagree with you wholeheartedly. If you want to stay anonymous, that’s fine. But don’t stake out a high-profile position on audio forums and claim to own and hear the best gear and rag on very expensive gear that you claim to have owned or had in your system and then want to hide behind your cloak of anonymity when asked to show some proof of all the gear you claim to have in your system.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Seems like that is the first thing he would have done and not taken his ball and bat and went home sulking. I didn't get the comment about not wanting to post pictures of his system on the internet. Why not? You either have the gear you say you do or you don't. I don't know what the truth is, I just found his response weird.

It's quite common not to want to expose personal information of any kind. Human Resources, potential employers et al can build a picture of you what you may not want.

Steve Williams

Mark:

looking back, you are right. Why then no reviews in major mags ? At least a guideline on how they sound compared to other amps in that category. My gut tells me you can find a better sounding amp than FM for 1/2 the cost if we are talking their $120k model. Perhaps FM is afraid to expose their "expensive" mystique to objective and subjective review.

I believe you're mistaken Christian. I believe their gear is top notch and as good as it is made out to be.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
It's quite common not to want to expose personal information of any kind. Human Resources, potential employers et al can build a picture of you what you may not want.

Ack-I understand what you are saying to a point, however, posting pictures of a high-end system isn’t like posting pictures of yourself on Facebook doing 200 shots and then later passed out drunk. Owning a high-end system isn’t something that would raise issues with potential employers like having a bad credit score would. I see zero negative connotations for owning a nice stereo system. An HR person might think you were a geek, but so what?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Perhaps you are right Steve...I have not heard the stuff and you have. To me, that doesn't excuse their stamped steel metal construction for amp, component cases.....so I fail to see the value based on their extreme pricing model. My amps cost about 1/2 the price, are dual chassis (spearate power and gain stage boxes) monoblocks built to impeccable standards. I would put they up against any amp....but that's just me.

Steve Williams

Personally I too am hoping that Wizard will continue to post here. I also agree to some extent in the manner in which he was treated. We all know that gear is a matter of preference and watching members react to other members comments which are less than positive or suggests one is better than another always elicits the same reactions.

As far as measurements and cost I can say that my amp cost more than the Dart 458 and measurements are far from pretty. Both my amp and my system have taken a beating for it but when all is said and done, for my ears it is the best amp I have ever heard. Do I know about the measurements. Of course. What all of us are doing is nothing more than picking your flavor and how well it sounds in ones system. I'm a tube guy and for me the epitome of tube amps is in my system. Those that don't like it, so be it. Not everyone will like the 458 or the FMA or my Lamm ML 3. I understand clearly about the concern for false reporting but do we have to be vindicated by convincing the world that what we have is the Best. Sit back and enjoy the music.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Let’s suffer no delusions and admit that part of what you pay for at the very top levels of audio gear is the audio jewelry that normally accompanies such expensive gear. Think Rolex or whatever other fine watch implies high-end jewelry status to you. While FMA is priced at the top of the audio food chain (or over the top depending on your perspective), their gear is built more along the lines of a Timex watch. It looks cheap and pedestrian on both the inside and outside. I have pointed this out numerous times. There is nothing that meets the eye that justifies their price tag which is why I called their gear cult-like.

And I make no claims for what this gear sounds like because I have never heard a single piece. I read their philosophy on how they treat their employees on their website and rolled my eyes because you normally could never run a business that relies on production in that manner and expect to succeed. Maybe it is the best sounding gear on the planet. It should be for the prices they charge.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Ack-I understand what you are saying to a point, however, posting pictures of a high-end system isn’t like posting pictures of yourself on Facebook doing 200 shots and then later passed out drunk. Owning a high-end system isn’t something that would raise issues with potential employers like having a bad credit score would. I see zero negative connotations for owning a nice stereo system. An HR person might think you were a geek, but so what?

You may be surprised how people perceive those who tend to expose their expensive wares, of any kind. I can tell you I thought very low of an ex coworker who used to have a big picture of his big house in his office. It is truly a personal matter and must be respected. We really have no opinion on why someone chooses not to expose some information.

Steve Williams

You may be surprised how people perceive those who tend to expose their expensive wares, of any kind. I can tell you I thought very low of an ex coworker who used to have a big picture of his big house in his office. It is truly a personal matter and must be respected. We really have no opinion on why someone chooses not to expose some information.

I agree completely. There are those who enjoy sharing their journey with the world and there are those who don't.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing