es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
... or as I said sometime in the recent past, every Tom Dick & Harry is a speaker designer

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
... or as I said sometime in the recent past, every Tom Dick & Harry is a speaker designer

Considering the ridiculous prices of speakers these days and the fact building a speaker isn't exactly rocket science and measurement/design software is affordable it's not surprising.

Form my experience at RMAF over the years there are far fewer bad speakers these days than there were 10-15 years ago though...

In any case, this isn't just "anybody":

Our gifted French engineer started his personal audio crusade for innovating better sound in the early 70s. In 1974, he founded the Audience company in partnership with Yves Bernard André, founder of YBA. By 1976, Milot launched the Leedh brand (that means Holophonic Laboratory of Research and Development) with Michel Reverchon of Goldmund. Under Leedh, he released several loudspeakers like the Perspective, Theoreme, Aura, Starlet, Elfe and Ether. This paralleled extensive research into unusual materials like concrete plaster, silicone grease or cochineal extract for fiberglass membrane treatments. From 1989-2006, Milot worked for Harman/France as R&D director of Audax, the famous French loudspeaker manufacturer where he pioneered new membranes and drivers like Aerogel or the HD3P. And he continued to release further speaker designs such as the Leedh Psyche, Nazca and Ica.

But Gilles Milot was not solely focused on transducers. In 1980 he founded Micromega whose goal was to market electronics designed by Leedh. This company he sold to Daniel Schär a few years later. In 1984, Micromega were first to release a CD player in separate transport and converter chassis. The cooperation between Micromega and Leedh lasted until 1988. Having enjoyed numerous discussions with Milot, I think of him as one of the very few who is this deeply and extensively involved with technical audio developments in any number of applications. Perhaps only someone like Nelson Pass spends equal time (which is to say, day and night), to push new developments.

Joel

Sep 13, 2013
www.audiophile-magazine.com
..the price is ridiculous

That indeed seems very expensive and it is the case undoubtedly.
But do you know exactly what could be the cost to produce such diaphragms of 100 microns thickness ?
I have heard many many speakers in this price range and these ones really deliver outstanding results. So I believe you should give a listen to these speakers, understand also what is the technology and related production costs, and then make your own opinion.
And even if you still consider it as a too expensive proposal, almost you will have understood (I hope) part of their technical achievement...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing