First Impressions of the KT-120 Tube

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
By default, this will also have to serve as first impressions of my ARC VS115 amp as I have heard neither the KT-120 tubes nor the ARC VS115 prior to purchasing the ARC VS115. First of all, I’m quite familiar with the sound of the venerable 6550 output tube as I have owned more than a few tube amps over the years that used 6550s. Those amps would include the ARC D-76, D-76A, D-70 MKII, D-79, VT-100 MKII, Jadis Defy 7 MKII, Quicksilver V4s, and a pair of monoblock amps I built from scratch some years ago based on the Dyna MKIII circuit.

6550 tubes have a reputation for punchy bass, especially in comparison to the widely used EL-34. If we consider the KT-88 to be a first cousin of the 6550, there is a strong family resemblance in the bass department. The best bass I have heard from a KT-88 tube was when I was using real honest to goodness NOS GEC KT-88 tubes. Those tubes are in a class by themselves and modern day KT-88s don’t compare in sound quality from top to bottom IMO.

So now at this late point in tube audio history, we have a new output tube that was brought to market under the Tung Sol brand, and that would be the KT-120. The KT-120 is a much beefier tube than the 6550/KT-88 family with much greater plate dissipation capability. In a relatively short period of time, both Conrad Johnson and ARC have abandoned the 6550 in favor of the new KT-120. In order to take full advantage of the greater output power potential of the KT-120, new output transformers and power transformers had to be wound. People who are using the KT-120 tube in amps designed for 6550/KT-88 tubes aren’t going to increase their output power over their stock rated power. What you will gain is the sound of the KT-120 tube. My ARC VS115 was designed for the 6550, so I’m not extracting the full capabilities of this tube at least with regards to potential output power.

If 6550s are known for bass punch, KT-120 tubes should be known for bass slam. Used in the ARC VS115, I don’t think I have ever heard a tube amp with this kind of bass punch. Much to my surprise, I actually had to dial down the bass on my four subs, it was simply too much. You would think that coming from the Krell KSA-250 that the opposite would be true. If you play back a recording that has lots of bass encoded in it, the KT-120 is going to play that bass for you. You will hear how well or how poorly the bass was recorded.

For an example of bass that I think is slightly over-cooked, listen to any cut from the Happy Coat album by Shota Osabe. I love this album by the way as I find the music to be soothing and therefore relaxing. I love the sound they captured of the piano. As for the bass, I would classify this as more mid-bass than low bass as you are basically hearing an acoustic bass. If you have any problems with bass muddiness, driver overhang, etc., this recording will bring them all out in a heartbeat. Even though I find the bass to be a bit overblown, it still should sound really good in terms of quality. You may also find that it will set things in your room to rattling as well. The KSA-250 never failed to put a smile on my face when listening to this album and the VS115/KT-120 combo hasn’t either. The KSA-250 excels in the bass/mid-bass department, but the VS115/KT-120 combo held its ground. Also, if you don’t hear lots of bass from this recording, something is amiss with your system.

Compared to my KSA-250, the VS115/KT-120 combo also has more inner detail and you can hear further into the mix than I could with the KSA-250. Maybe some of that was due to the damn hum that I have talked about numerous times in my Krell Saga thread. And yes, the ARC VS115 is super quiet. I absolutely love having a very low noise floor and after years of being way too tolerant of noise and hum issues, I have lost all patience for them now.

My preliminary feeling is that we have a sonic winner with the new KT-120 tube. I think it sets new standards in bass capability when compared to the 6550 and the rest of the KT family. I have heard nothing amiss in the mids or high frequencies which would lead me to question this tube’s capabilities across the audio band. I’m still coming to terms with it, but I like what I hear so far.

As for the VS115, the only nit I’m going to pick for the here and now is the bias scheme which seems to be a recurring theme with many ARC amps. Although the bias scheme for the VS115 amp is way more user friendly than say the ridiculous VT-100 series of amps, it brought back shades of my Jadis Defy 7 MKII. Except for cost, I don’t know why ARC chose to have only one bias pot for each pair of output tubes instead of using two pots so you could set each tube exactly to the correct bias. This was a similar scheme to what the Jadis used, except the Jadis had 3 tubes per bias pot and you were setting an average bias across the three tubes. Now you are setting the average of two tubes. But unlike the Jadis, at least you don’t have to turn a 100 lb amp on its side, remove the bottom plate, and probe its innards with your meter in order to set the bias. The VS115 has all bias jacks on the rear panel. You do have to perform a little fishing with the bias tool that ARC provides as the bias pot is recessed under the top plate opening and the bias pot is very small and so is the bias tool.

That’s it for now.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Nice write up, mep. The last amp I heard a set of KT120's had very admirable bass by any audiophile standard.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Way cool. Great write up!

It is fair to note however, that most tube migrations happen due to supply problems. Arc moved to different power tubes based on
their confidence in a constant supply. Same for all the others.

I kind of chuckle because with each move they all claim that the new tube is the best they had ever heard.

My next amp will be the VS155 in a few years, so I am looking forward to it!

By default, this will also have to serve as first impressions of my ARC VS115 amp as I have heard neither the KT-120 tubes nor the ARC VS115 prior to purchasing the ARC VS115. First of all, I’m quite familiar with the sound of the venerable 6550 output tube as I have owned more than a few tube amps over the years that used 6550s. Those amps would include the ARC D-76, D-76A, D-70 MKII, D-79, VT-100 MKII, Jadis Defy 7 MKII, Quicksilver V4s, and a pair of monoblock amps I built from scratch some years ago based on the Dyna MKIII circuit.

6550 tubes have a reputation for punchy bass, especially in comparison to the widely used EL-34. If we consider the KT-88 to be a first cousin of the 6550, there is a strong family resemblance in the bass department. The best bass I have heard from a KT-88 tube was when I was using real honest to goodness NOS GEC KT-88 tubes. Those tubes are in a class by themselves and modern day KT-88s don’t compare in sound quality from top to bottom IMO.

So now at this late point in tube audio history, we have a new output tube that was brought to market under the Tung Sol brand, and that would be the KT-120. The KT-120 is a much beefier tube than the 6550/KT-88 family with much greater plate dissipation capability. In a relatively short period of time, both Conrad Johnson and ARC have abandoned the 6550 in favor of the new KT-120. In order to take full advantage of the greater output power potential of the KT-120, new output transformers and power transformers had to be wound. People who are using the KT-120 tube in amps designed for 6550/KT-88 tubes aren’t going to increase their output power over their stock rated power. What you will gain is the sound of the KT-120 tube. My ARC VS115 was designed for the 6550, so I’m not extracting the full capabilities of this tube at least with regards to potential output power.

If 6550s are known for bass punch, KT-120 tubes should be known for bass slam. Used in the ARC VS115, I don’t think I have ever heard a tube amp with this kind of bass punch. Much to my surprise, I actually had to dial down the bass on my four subs, it was simply too much. You would think that coming from the Krell KSA-250 that the opposite would be true. If you play back a recording that has lots of bass encoded in it, the KT-120 is going to play that bass for you. You will hear how well or how poorly the bass was recorded.

For an example of bass that I think is slightly over-cooked, listen to any cut from the Happy Coat album by Shota Osabe. I love this album by the way as I find the music to be soothing and therefore relaxing. I love the sound they captured of the piano. As for the bass, I would classify this as more mid-bass than low bass as you are basically hearing an acoustic bass. If you have any problems with bass muddiness, driver overhang, etc., this recording will bring them all out in a heartbeat. Even though I find the bass to be a bit overblown, it still should sound really good in terms of quality. You may also find that it will set things in your room to rattling as well. The KSA-250 never failed to put a smile on my face when listening to this album and the VS115/KT-120 combo hasn’t either. The KSA-250 excels in the bass/mid-bass department, but the VS115/KT-120 combo held its ground. Also, if you don’t hear lots of bass from this recording, something is amiss with your system.

Compared to my KSA-250, the VS115/KT-120 combo also has more inner detail and you can hear further into the mix than I could with the KSA-250. Maybe some of that was due to the damn hum that I have talked about numerous times in my Krell Saga thread. And yes, the ARC VS115 is super quiet. I absolutely love having a very low noise floor and after years of being way too tolerant of noise and hum issues, I have lost all patience for them now.

My preliminary feeling is that we have a sonic winner with the new KT-120 tube. I think it sets new standards in bass capability when compared to the 6550 and the rest of the KT family. I have heard nothing amiss in the mids or high frequencies which would lead me to question this tube’s capabilities across the audio band. I’m still coming to terms with it, but I like what I hear so far.

As for the VS115, the only nit I’m going to pick for the here and now is the bias scheme which seems to be a recurring theme with many ARC amps. Although the bias scheme for the VS115 amp is way more user friendly than say the ridiculous VT-100 series of amps, it brought back shades of my Jadis Defy 7 MKII. Except for cost, I don’t know why ARC chose to have only one bias pot for each pair of output tubes instead of using two pots so you could set each tube exactly to the correct bias. This was a similar scheme to what the Jadis used, except the Jadis had 3 tubes per bias pot and you were setting an average bias across the three tubes. Now you are setting the average of two tubes. But unlike the Jadis, at least you don’t have to turn a 100 lb amp on its side, remove the bottom plate, and probe its innards with your meter in order to set the bias. The VS115 has all bias jacks on the rear panel. You do have to perform a little fishing with the bias tool that ARC provides as the bias pot is recessed under the top plate opening and the bias pot is very small and so is the bias tool.

That’s it for now.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Way cool. Great write up!

It is fair to note however, that most tube migrations happen due to supply problems. Arc moved to different power tubes based on
their confidence in a constant supply. Same for all the others.

I kind of chuckle because with each move they all claim that the new tube is the best they had ever heard.

My next amp will be the VS155 in a few years, so I am looking forward to it!

Andre,

Perhaps you know it better than me about supply problems, but I have direct experience replacing 6550s with KT120s in a REF110 and own a REF150 with almost 900 hours at the timer. There is a real improvement in the sound using the KT120, particularly in bass foundation and articulation.

IMHO, other manufacturers, such as conrad johnson are moving to the KT120, because otherwise their amplifiers would not be competitive anymore - not because of marketing.

BTW, ARC and cj have used the 6550 for more than 30 years! Surely they changed suppliers along the years, but mainly looking for increased reliability.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Yes, you are absolutely correct. Supply is one issue, however another issue is reliability..maybe even the bigger issue. Tubes blowing up in the field are not a pleasant thing for a manufacturer to deal with.

I happen to love the Winged C 6550s in my VS55. According to ARC I can use the K120s, but I won't get anymore power, but will get the increased transparency and bass control that seems to be their thing.

Do you think it is worth the $225 investment? i will give it ago. Upscale Audio seems to have a good supply.

Andre,

Perhaps you know it better than me about supply problems, but I have direct experience replacing 6550s with KT120s in a REF110 and own a REF150 with almost 900 hours at the timer. There is a real improvement in the sound using the KT120, particularly in bass foundation and articulation.

IMHO, other manufacturers, such as conrad johnson are moving to the KT120, because otherwise their amplifiers would not be competitive anymore - not because of marketing.

BTW, ARC and cj have used the 6550 for more than 30 years! Surely they changed suppliers along the years, but mainly looking for increased reliability.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Andre,

Not sure that I agree with you. cj moved to the KT120 tube because of reliability, longetivity and sound [note neither VTL or VAC have switched over!]. Lew feels that being that these new KT120s are run far more conservatively in their circuit than the 6550, the new tubes should have a longer lifespan. And at $1600 for a replacement set, I wouldn't mind getting an extra year or two or three out them! He also felt that the KT120 wasn't earthshattering better than the 6550, but it was better sonically (and in fact, when I was in the process of retubing, Lew called me and strongly urged me to switch over).

When I asked Lew if he and Bill had plans on the table to build an amp based around the KT120, he replied that they were happy with their current circuit and running the tubes more conservatively. cj, maybe because they remember those days of tube equipment blowing up and having problems, really values reliability. They have felt for a long time the unreliability of tube gear [true or not], has kept many audiophiles from buying tube based equipment.

Now these KT120s have been around for a number of years. The set I received a few months had a date code of 2006. Part of the reason I think the companies recently switched is that they wanted to use up their existing supplies of 6550s. Remember ARC and cj, among others, buy large lots of tubes in order to supply customers down the road (and that's a lot of overhead).

As far as suppliers, cj used GE 6550s [from Richardson Electronics] until the tube's reliability and rejection rate became ridiculous (like 50 pct. were being rejected). They then switched to the Russian 6550 Winged SED tubes and stayed their ever since.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Great info, thanks Myles. I will spring for a quad. But it pains me since I have an unused perfect quad of SED Winged C 6550s in the closet!

Not sure that I agree with you. cj moved to the KT120 tube because of reliability, longetivity and sound [note neither VTL or VAC have switched over!]. Lew feels that being that these new KT120s are run far more conservatively in their circuit than the 6550, the new tubes should have a longer lifespan. And at $1600 for a replacement set, I wouldn't mind getting an extra year or two or three out them! He also felt that the KT120 wasn't earthshattering better than the 6550, but it was better sonically (and in fact, when I was in the process of retubing, Lew called me and strongly urged me to switch over).

When I asked Lew if he and Bill had plans on the table to build an amp based around the KT120, he replied that they were happy with their current circuit and running the tubes more conservatively. cj, maybe because they remember those days of tube equipment blowing up and having problems, really values reliability. They have felt for a long time the unreliability of tube gear [true or not], has kept many audiophiles from buying tube based equipment.

Now these KT120s have been around for a number of years. The set I received a few months had a date code of 2006. Part of the reason I think the companies recently switched is that they wanted to use up their existing supplies of 6550s. Remember ARC and cj, among others, buy large lots of tubes in order to supply customers down the road (and that's a lot of overhead).

As far as suppliers, cj used GE 6550s [from Richardson Electronics] until the tube's reliability and rejection rate became ridiculous (like 50 pct. were being rejected). They then switched to the Russian 6550 Winged SED tubes and stayed their ever since.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Not sure that I agree with you. cj moved to the KT120 tube because of reliability, longetivity and sound [note neither VTL or VAC have switched over!]. Lew feels that being that these new KT120s are run far more conservatively in their circuit than the 6550, the new tubes should have a longer lifespan. (...)

Myles,

You are agreeing with me - it was what meant when saying "competitive" - surely in sound and reliability.
Thanks for making it more clear.

Do you have any quantitative data on possible increased longevity of the KT120 versus the 6550C? Audio Research still quotes 2000 hours on their manuals - the same value they used for the 6550C.
Did you get any quantitative estimation for the longevity of 6H30 in cj equipment?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles,

You are agreeing with me - it was what meant when saying "competitive" - surely in sound and reliability.
Thanks for making it more clear.

Do you have any quantitative data on possible increased longevity of the KT120 versus the 6550C? Audio Research still quotes 2000 hours on their manuals - the same value they used for the 6550C.
Did you get any quantitative estimation for the longevity of 6H30 in cj equipment?

Sorry, I think it was just a language issue :)

I haven't asked and I'm not sure if anyone has that data.

I've not had good luck with the initial 6H30s. Had two fail already in one year. So far, so good on the latest ones. (FYI, tried the DR version and didn't care for the sound in the ART; way too etched).

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Agreed. I bought a box full of SED Winged C 6550s from him. No issues with any of them.

He is THE tube guru.

Andre, I too use Winged C 6550's in my ARC amp. I cannot "upgrade" to the KT120's as they apparently put too much strain on the trannies. However, I would be surprised if the KT120's sound that much better than the Winged C's. I was using a set of NOS GE 6550's and the Winged C's are very close to these tubes in sound. A friend of mine swapped out his GE's for KT120's and I think he made a lateral move at best.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Hi DaveyF:

I actually intend to call ARC today to double check if the VS55 can handle the KT120. I have read that they can, but it is best to make sure since it is a $200+ investment.

I really love the liquid sound of the Winged C's, but I am certainly open if they have been bettered.

Will update.

Andre, I too use Winged C 6550's in my ARC amp. I cannot "upgrade" to the KT120's as they apparently put too much strain on the trannies. However, I would be surprised if the KT120's sound that much better than the Winged C's. I was using a set of NOS GE 6550's and the Winged C's are very close to these tubes in sound. A friend of mine swapped out his GE's for KT120's and I think he made a lateral move at best.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Andre, I will be interested in your results. I also wonder if the particular amp has anything to do with the results that one sees from swapping out 6550's for KT120's. :confused:

The fact that the KT120's supposedly last longer than the 6550's is a very definite plus, assuming that is the case. My friend's KT120's are fairly new so we have no way of telling about this. OTOH, his GE's lasted for 1000's of hours and I don't think that they were bad at all in this regard.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Just spoke to ARC. They said the VS55 is good to go...bias at 60 Mills.

He did say, as I have heard already, there will be no power increase.

Gee, my SEDs have been running 4 years straight. I am not too concerned with lifespan, since for tubes generally cost me around $200.

As a side note, I really am not a fan of big high powered tube amps. Too many tubes, too much heat, and other inconveniences. I love 25 to a 75 watts. There is an immediacy that is hard to replicate.

They are selling Sovteks for 100 a piece. Upscale has Tung Sols for 45.

Andre, I will be interested in your results. I also wonder if the particular amp has anything to do with the results that one sees from swapping out 6550's for KT120's. :confused:

The fact that the KT120's supposedly last longer than the 6550's is a very definite plus, assuming that is the case. My friend's KT120's are fairly new so we have no way of telling about this. OTOH, his GE's lasted for 1000's of hours and I don't think that they were bad at all in this regard.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Just spoke to ARC. They said the VS55 is good to go...bias at 60 Mills.

He did say, as I have heard already, there will be no power increase.

Gee, my SEDs have been running 4 years straight. I am not too concerned with lifespan, since for tubes generally cost me around $200.

As a side note, I really am not a fan of big high powered tube amps. Too many tubes, too much heat, and other inconveniences. I love 25 to a 75 watts. There is an immediacy that is hard to replicate.

They are selling Sovteks for 100 a piece. Upscale has Tung Sols for 45.

And what big tube amps are you referring to?

Gone are the days of the smaller wattage tube amps sounding better than their bigger brethren. Try on for size a cj ART. Or look at Roy Gregory's review where he compared the three cj amps and found the LP275 to be the best off show. Oh and the big amps have every bit the "immediacy" plus the "authority" and a few other things. The proof comes when listening to 15 ips tapes and hearing the presence, control, dynamics and extension. Smaller amp sound well just nice.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Myles,

do you have a copy of the Roy Gregory review on the CJ amps? i could not find it. i am actually looking for 2 reviews he did...that one, plus the one he did on the Zanden 4-box digital reference. It is sold out from the magazine, or that's what it said on the site. i have emailed Roy and asked but thought if there is another source, and you know it, i am happy to go there. thanks for any guidance.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Hi Myles,

do you have a copy of the Roy Gregory review on the CJ amps? i could not find it. i am actually looking for 2 reviews he did...that one, plus the one he did on the Zanden 4-box digital reference. It is sold out from the magazine, or that's what it said on the site. i have emailed Roy and asked but thought if there is another source, and you know it, i am happy to go there. thanks for any guidance.

I'll check but may have given it away.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Hey Myles:

I was not referring to any particular amp, but VTL and the big mamma ARC's come to mind.

For me it is more of a comfort thing. I don't like worrying about too many tubes plus the heat. And the sheer size of some of these amps is mind blowing. The mighty 610's are bigger than my first apartment lol.

Not really a performance thing, although as a matter of preference i do lean to smaller amps. It is how my ear is tuned.

On my short list of possible tube amps for a new system would be the CJ Classic 60 SE. Actually I have been trying to score a review sample of a CJ component for years with no luck.

And what big tube amps are you referring to?

Gone are the days of the smaller wattage tube amps sounding better than their bigger brethren. Try on for size a cj ART. Or look at Roy Gregory's review where he compared the three cj amps and found the LP275 to be the best off show. Oh and the big amps have every bit the "immediacy" plus the "authority" and a few other things. The proof comes when listening to 15 ips tapes and hearing the presence, control, dynamics and extension. Smaller amp sound well just nice.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing