KT88/EL34

shel50

Aug 3, 2020
Long Island, NY
Any thoughts on KT88 vs EL 34 regarding music genre?
I listen often to Jazz and female vocals.......wondering which type of power tubes you folks prefer regarding the KT 88's vs EL34's
I'm told the EL 34 focuses on the midrange area as opposed to KT88
Supposedly the KT 88 is best for the entire frequency.....
Any thoughts to share would be appreciated.

Mcsnare

Apr 1, 2022
www.instagram.com
My experience has been that it's hard to generalize. It comes down to the amplifier and it's design.
If I had to comment, based on hearing a lot of tube amps in my system, EL-34's are less linear than KT-88's. What I've heard with EL-34's tends to be less imediacy and dynamic contrasts. Smoother and more classically "tubey". I've heard KT-88's sound anywhere from low end and high end emphasized, to extremely clean and linear sounding. I don't think of sonic signatures as being a genre thing although I might think about it differently if you had said "I only listen to Swedish death metal."
It's either clean or it's not and there's a thousand graduations in between.
My .02

shel50

Aug 3, 2020
Long Island, NY
My experience has been that it's hard to generalize. It comes down to the amplifier and it's design.
If I had to comment, based on hearing a lot of tube amps in my system, EL-34's are less linear than KT-88's. What I've heard with EL-34's tends to be less imediacy and dynamic contrasts. Smoother and more classically "tubey". I've heard KT-88's sound anywhere from low end and high end emphasized, to extremely clean and linear sounding. I don't think of sonic signatures as being a genre thing although I might think about it differently if you had said "I only listen to Swedish death metal."
It's either clean or it's not and there's a thousand graduations in between.
My .02
very interesting indeed.... Your background is very impressive indeed---many thanks
I concur with your thoughts

Reactions: Mcsnare

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing