Final Amplifier for Martin Logan CLX

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I'm just teasing you David. You would make a great doctor with superb bedside manners. David the doctor to sick patient: "Don't buy any green bananas because you won't be around long enough to see them ripen."

Honestly, when I look at that blurry picture, I'm not even sure of what I'm seeing. What are those glass doors behind the ML speakers? Are those super tweeters mounted on stands between the ML speakers? Is that a turntable on the floor?

I know Mark, just kidding too, you shouldn't get me started on doctors with bedside manners and no medical skills...

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
You are right though these speakers weren't chosen for that old room

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
As I said in post #9:

ROOM TREATMENT, not bigger/better/different amplifiers is what you need.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Yes first photo is current room

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Thx Gary

Suggestions about room treatment
I have never had a dedicated room before so first chance to do what i like

Garth

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Hi all

I am new to this forum

Looking for advice on amplifier to drive my CLX

My main focus is classical

Timbral correctness and soundstageing are primary to me

Having difficulty finding a reliable amp that will run the CLX

I run a iDescent with the special crossover for CLX

Works well in my room 20ft by 12 ft by 60 ft

The problems I am having

Thinness with SS( violin especilly) and reliability from probably back EMF upsetting amplifiers

All tubes seem to run well with good timbral accuracy, resolution suffers, and clipping issues

The only one I was very happy with was VAC 200phi monos

All advice gratefully accepted

Warm regards

Andrew

Andrew

Their are many people on this form far ahead of me in audio knowledge.

But I do have the following to offer I have my room is 15 x 34 x 9 feet with CLXs and two decent i for amps I am using ayre mono blocks and ayre pre amp with a Burmester phono amp a Clearaudio statement table a triplaner arm.

IMO you have the following the Blue circles I know Gilbert well he has long been a Martin Logan owner I would give him a call for his input. Your room is very hard and is likely too live. I would get help the best help you can find to tame the room or do the best you can on your own.

If you like the CLXs keep them get a second decent i the Clxs are hard to set up so are the decents but well worth the time it takes my dealer and spent a day and a half getting it as right as we did. Few speakers at this price point are as good again IMO. You can see my set up on Martin Logans site under members systems title Garth again many can do all this better than me but any thing you see or ask right or wrong I will share.

Garth

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
As I said in post #9:

ROOM TREATMENT, not bigger/better/different amplifiers is what you need.

I can imagine that room treatment for the CLX's should be left to people with large experience. I have listened to them sounding great and really miserable in different rooms, and can not understand the real reason for such differences.

Perhaps you can contact Art Noxon of ASC ( Acoustic Sciences Corporation) - I once read that he has experience setting up rooms with Martin Logan's.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Unfortunately here in Oz i am not aware of too many people with this expertise maybe people who build recording studios?

Yes I bought bc208 as Gilbert loves panel speakers

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
You need surfaces on your walls that will diffuse the sound. They are smooth and barren. The floor is tile or stone and is extremely reflective--it needs more carpet, the ceiling is flat and smooth, it need something to break it up a bit, but mostly rugs and wall treatments are what you need. Some curtains, even on the side walls will help.

I bet if you ran REW, you would find extremely severe ringing in the room.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
You need surfaces on your walls that will diffuse the sound. They are smooth and barren. The floor is tile or stone and is extremely reflective--it needs more carpet, the ceiling is flat and smooth, it need something to break it up a bit, but mostly rugs and wall treatments are what you need. Some curtains, even on the side walls will help.

I bet if you clapped your hands you would hear severe ringing in that room.

Garth

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014

I agree my room got a lot better after the following 1 I put record shelves floor to ceiling behind the speakers. 2 Large crown mouldings around the room 3 a large t shaped structure centre of the ceiling for the drop screen and projector 4 a large rug . Each helped a lot I am still going ahead room treatments if I can find the help in what would work best. Their are hundreds of posts on which piece of wire is best but very little that helps in treating a room so many variables it is hard to go beyond first reflection points.

Or maybe I do not know where to look .

Garth

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Thx all good suggestions

Infact the room if you clapped your hands or click your fingers doesn't ring at all
It's a live room for sure

There are absorbent panels on the front wall and sides next to CLX
Directly behind are record shelves

The issue seems to be at certain frequencies especially noticeable on some strings of violin

The floor is despite finish not very sound reflective

I think it's an interesting point to look at decay though

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Did I see a refrigerator in your room??

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Did I see a refrigerator in your room??

Refrigerators are awful for injecting noise into the line, and their own physical noise with compressors going on and off.

Garth

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Thx all good suggestions

Infact the room if you clapped your hands or click your fingers doesn't ring at all
It's a live room for sure

There are absorbent panels on the front wall and sides next to CLX
Directly behind are record shelves

The issue seems to be at certain frequencies especially noticeable on some strings of violin

The floor is despite finish not very sound reflective

I may have your answer just play Blues no violins may not be the answer you wanted but it is cost effective.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
The Fridge isnt connected....
Need to move it out
Removalists dmped it there

Unfortunately blues isnt my thing ....

Sheldon methodology not disimilar to wilson audio speaker set up technique....

Need to remember that CLX dont radiate like a dynamic speaker

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
It makes no difference if it is connected. I was simply using it as a size and distance marker.

I know the CLX well, it's a dipole, not the same as cones, whose primary purpose is to hold ice cream!

Last edited:

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
. . . . The floor is despite finish not very sound reflective

Isn't the floor stone or tile? That's what it looks like. That is extremely reflective, and as a slab, probably 100% reflective.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing