Ferdinand Porsche dies at 76

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
RIP. Always loved their cars and the 911 was his baby. Still enjoying my '04 911 GT3.

(CBS/AP) - He designed Porsche's classic 911 sports car - the sleek model that evokes power, wealth and envy among aficionados - cementing his grandfather's name into the modern psyche. Ferdinand Alexander Porsche died Thursday in Salzburg, Austria at age 76, Porsche AG said. No cause was provided.

Porsche, known as F.A. to his colleagues, was head of the Porsche design studio in the early 1960s when the company developed the 911 model that remains its brand-defining product. The car, now in its seventh version, remains recognizably the same vehicle, with its sloping roofline, long, low hood and prominent headlights.

"The creator of the Porsche 911 has founded a culture of design in our company that distinguishes our sports cars even today," Porsche CEO Matthias Mueller said.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505164_...inand-porsche-designer-of-911-dies-at-age-76/

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
I have a 2010 GTS for my daily driver. Awesome SUV. I had an '04 Cayenne Turbo before. I still prefer the naturally aspirated Cayenne GTS even with less HP than the turbo.

I guess the 958 GTS is now officially out.

I searched and did numerous test drives for over a year, it came down to Cayenne GTS vs Cayenne Turbo in the end and decided on a GTS over a Turbo as well - for the purity of the driving experience of the GTS. Turbos are obviously more powerful and pulls a lot more exciting when you are actually racing with other vehicles, but for everyday driving, the GTS is more than enough.

It gives me a chuckle how even 911 owners gives Cayennes due credit for what it can do, and some people who have never even driven a Cayenne calls it a "not real Porsche". A GTS is a good compromise for people who want to have fun driving, but are not comfortable getting in and out out low slung sports cars. I think we will be keeping this unit for a while, and anticipating the release of the Macan for our daily driver. The new 911's and Boxsters are nice, but my wife already declared "you can buy one, but don't expect me to ride with you"... she hates cars.

Emre Üçöz

Aug 1, 2011
Istanbul
RIP Ferdinand...
I enjoyed my '08 911 Cabrio till last year, had to sell last year. but since 911 poison is in my veins will hopefully get the new 911 cabrio.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I have been a BMW fan for the last 10 years, but a 911 is on target for coming years, sad new indeed.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY

I guess the 958 GTS is now officially out.

I searched and did numerous test drives for over a year, it came down to Cayenne GTS vs Cayenne Turbo in the end and decided on a GTS over a Turbo as well - for the purity of the driving experience of the GTS. Turbos are obviously more powerful and pulls a lot more exciting when you are actually racing with other vehicles, but for everyday driving, the GTS is more than enough.

It gives me a chuckle how even 911 owners gives Cayennes due credit for what it can do, and some people who have never even driven a Cayenne calls it a "not real Porsche". A GTS is a good compromise for people who want to have fun driving, but are not comfortable getting in and out out low slung sports cars. I think we will be keeping this unit for a while, and anticipating the release of the Macan for our daily driver. The new 911's and Boxsters are nice, but my wife already declared "you can buy one, but don't expect me to ride with you"... she hates cars.

Glad to see the GTS back in production. I have only 26K on my 2010, so I'm keeping it for a while.

tdh888

Nov 4, 2010
Philippines
Very sad for Porschephiles...:(:(

Drove my '65 356 yesterday, it was a great day for a drive.

Traditional Porschephiles enjoying their aircooled wonders, will drive my 930 later. RIP Butzi

Syntax

Feb 26, 2012
At The Dark Side
A Genius, who gave the world so much pleasure, passed. Porsche has a real interesting History since WWII. He was one of the - discrete - Giants.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
In honor of Ferde...My current Porsche rides...

'04 GT3

'10 GTS

Syntax

Feb 26, 2012
At The Dark Side
A nice chance to show what you have, but a Cayenne is not a Porsche .
It is a Volkswagen Design.

Syntax

Feb 26, 2012
At The Dark Side
that's funny! have you driven one?

Funny? You mean, it is fun? May I ask, are you just a little boy who got from Daddy such a car or do you simply have no idea what's all about that Person?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing