Feds bulk up team for Clemens' steroid retrial

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Isn't it a little ridiculous that the government is spending precious time and resources on going after Clemens for taking steroids and lying about it? Where was the zeal to prosecute the Wall St. thieves that brought this country to its knees?? Not a single one of those crooks is being prosecuted. They took down Martha Stewart though for trying to save $65K of her own money. I guess you have to have your priorities in order. I know I felt safer when Martha was in jail and I guess I will sleep better at night if I know Roger is in the slammer.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Isn't it a little ridiculous that the government is spending precious time and resources on going after Clemens for taking steroids and lying about it? Where was the zeal to prosecute the Wall St. thieves that brought this country to its knees?? Not a single one of those crooks is being prosecuted. They took down Martha Stewart though for trying to save $65K of her own money. I guess you have to have your priorities in order. I know I felt safer when Martha was in jail and I guess I will sleep better at night if I know Roger is in the slammer.

It reminbds me of the said state of the criminal justice system. Martha was convicted of lying to police. Clements is being prosecuted for lying to Congress.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
And how come that sanctimonious hypocrite wind bag Rush Limbaugh didn’t do any jail time for doctor shopping to get narcotics and sending his maid out on the streets to buy narcotics? It hardly seems fair that Roger sticks a few needles in his ass and now they are coming after said body part. Do you think that just maybe Rush Limbaugh has a few connections in high places that helped keep him out of jail and maybe Roger and Martha don’t travel in those same circles?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Rush didn't lie about it ;). He just didn't make it known

True Steve. But Rush was not worked over. Was he ever summoned to testify before the grand jury or Congress or the FBI? Was he not outed by a private investigator?

P.S. You may recall Senator McCarthy made good use of this tactic. Asking whther you were a Communist or a memebr of Communistn Organization.

Refuse to naswer and face contempt charges.
Take the fifth which was tantamanoit to an admission.
Admit it and be forced to rat out your fellow memebers.
Be selectively precluded from your job.

Last edited:

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Not Guilty on all 6 counts... 2-3 million spent.. What a waste!

After eight weeks, 46 witnesses, two dozing jurors and an estimated $2-$3 million spent in taxpayer money, the Roger Clemens trial has finally come to a close.

The verdict: Not guilty on three counts of making false statements, not guilty on two counts of perjury and not guilty on one count of obstruction. The charges stemmed from testimony that Clemens made in February 2008, telling a Congressional committee that he had never taken steroids or HGH. Prosecutors also alleged that Clemens intentionally made false statements that misled investigators.
Clemens faced a maximum sentence of 30 years and a $1.5 million fine if he had been convicted on all six counts, but he instead made out better than Barry Bonds. The all-time career home runs leader was hit one one charge of obstruction — but sentenced to no jail time — in his own perjury case.

Both Clemens and Bonds will hit the Hall of Fame ballot for the first time this winter and it's likely that neither will walk away happy with the results. Whether you agree with their stance or not, Cooperstown's voters carry a much lower burden of proof when it comes to the evidence that both used performance-enhancing drugs during their careers.

But like Bonds, Clemens benefitted from the reasonable-doubt standard that's applied in a federal courtroom. Despite staging an exhaustive trial, federal prosecutors were unable to build a convincing case. Nor were they able to defeat the doubts that the defense raised about the motives and integrity of former Clemens trainer Brian McNamee.

So that's that. While we'll argue forever about the merits of the nation's lawmakers getting involved with baseball's steroid era, Clemens has escaped the legal process with no major damage except for a sizable lawyer bill. He'll face much more public scrutiny going forward, of course, but this trial was really never going to have any impact on the court of public opinion. Your view of Clemens before this verdict is probably the same as your view now.

Kippyy

Feb 20, 2011
San Ramon, CA
Baseball's got a real image problem.
All time hits leader=Pete Rose-Banned from the Hall of Fame for gambling
All time home run leader=Barry Bonds-Poster boy for steroid use
Possible all time home run king in future=Alex Rodriguez-Steroid user
For a sport in which many of its players are affable and well-liked, it seems that MLB's greatest players are anything but.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
I hope the Baseball Writers Assn. has enough sense that they'll never get to Cooperstown.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
...And Barrty Bonds deserves a pardon. He probably would have won if he was not such an a--.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I hope the Baseball Writers Assn. has enough sense that they'll never get to Cooperstown.

Regardless of the trial outcome, Clemens is guilty in the court of public opinion. Just like OJ.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
If you read between the lines,Clemons basically admitted to using steroids. Not as a performance enhancer but as a healing aid.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Regardless of the trial outcome, Clemens is guilty in the court of public opinion. Just like OJ.

And
Barry Bonds
Vladimar Guerrero
A-Rod
Sammy Sosa
Mark McGwire
Jason/Jeremy Giambi
Rafael Palmeiro
Jose Canseco

and don't forget Manny!!

and the LIST goes on...

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
And
Barry Bonds
Vladimar Guerrero
A-Rod
Sammy Sosa
Mark McGwire
Jason/Jeremy Giambi
Rafael Palmeiro
Jose Canseco

and don't forget Manny!!

and the LIST goes on...

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/lists/...21511#photo-title=Coming+clean&photo=30470238

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ers_suspended_for_performance-enhancing_drugs

Don't forget the most recent: Ryan Braun. And in Yessis's book, he even accuses Roger Maris of taking PEDs.

And the owners knew what was going on and were just as complicit. Fans kept coming thru the turnstiles and paying their bucks to see balls flying out of the park. Funny thing is though that batters using PEDs hit more and Longer HRs but never saw pitchers all of a sudden throwing 110 mph? pitchers advantage had to be faster recovery between starts and going deeper into games.

Interesting that one name from the steroid era whose accomplishments remain unsullied (and a certain first ballot hall of famed) is Ken Griffey!

mdabb

Jul 10, 2010
N.E. Ohio
I played football & baseball during my school years & use to love to watch all sports on TV religiously. Now I could care less... It's three minutes of action & three hours of commercials. You know how wrestling is fake/choreographed (cough) All pro sports now-a-days = WWF.

Not saying it was perfect once upon a time, just went downhill big time

Bummer...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing