Favorite Operas

R Johnson

Jul 24, 2010
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Another favorite -- Mozart's Don Giovanni. It's always interesting to see how the different productions handle the memorable scenes. For instance I still remember Leporello's catalog aria from a "chamber" sized local production 25 years ago.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
How about some lighter, comical opera from a composer who's known for stark, militaristic works?

http://www.amazon.com/Shostakovich-...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1298179412&sr=1-1

Very well-recorded. I have no other versions of this to compare. In the story, the nose of a prominent Russian official gets a life of its own and takes a walk around the city! Certainly a different Shostakovich than many of the mightly symphonies!

Lee

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Prokofiev's "Love for Three Oranges"

Kent Nagano leads an interesting performance of Prokofiev's Love for Three Oranges. You will immediately recognize the march theme from this piece, even if you never heard the opera.

http://www.amazon.com/Love-Oranges-...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1303255918&sr=1-1

Pretty well-recorded, it provides some of those "I'm actually there" moments. As is typical with opera recording, it's a fairly difficult job getting the miking of the singers just right at all times. Given that the singers move around the stage, closer and further from the mikes, there are occasional moments where a loud shout close to the mike causes a bit of overload (common in many opera recordings, IMO). That's why it's SO impressive when you hear an opera recording that is completely without these issues.

Lee

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I finally obtained a R2R tape of Karajan conducting Mascagni's Cavalleria Rusticana, what a great opera and sadly forgotten. Karajan is at his very best here and is my favorite although I have many different ones.

Mike

VIP/Donor
Jan 28, 2012
Madison, New Jersey
I recently attended the Lyric Opera of Chicago's performance of AIDA, whhich was wonderful. However, I was not able to pick up a good recording of the opera prior to this, and I'd be interested to hear some suggestions.

I hope that I'm not hijacking this thread, Lee.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
How about some lighter, comical opera from a composer who's known for stark, militaristic works?

http://www.amazon.com/Shostakovich-...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1298179412&sr=1-1
It's excellent but I would rather hear this one:

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
I recently attended the Lyric Opera of Chicago's performance of AIDA, whhich was wonderful. However, I was not able to pick up a good recording of the opera prior to this, and I'd be interested to hear some suggestions.

I hope that I'm not hijacking this thread, Lee.

No way! Any discussion of great opera is more than fine! The recording of Aida that immediately came to mind is Von Karajan's:

http://www.amazon.com/Verdi-Aida/dp/B000KLRUKC/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1331606656&sr=1-1

I invite other members to submit their recommendations as well!

Lee

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com

Attachments

• aida..jpg
    aida..jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 66

terryj

Jul 4, 2010
bathurst NSW
I must admit I have not heard the complete opera, but the death scene from Boris Godunov is pretty heart renching

It starts proper about 1.30 or so (goodbye my son, I'm dying) and for some reason this version is cut short?

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

R Johnson

Jul 24, 2010
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Aida - opening night Dec 7, 2006 at La Scala, Milan
http://www.amazon.com/Verdi-Aida-Blu-ray-Violeta-Urmana/dp/B001CZVVWS/

Sure, there are some great singers on disc, but for me, opera is best enjoyed with visuals -- especially a spectacle like Aida. I saw this in the movie theater and bought the Blu-ray when it became available. The is a new production by Franco Zeffirelli. The reviewers on Amazon are quite correct in taking issue with the video gimmicks, but...

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Aida - opening night Dec 7, 2006 at La Scala, Milan
http://www.amazon.com/Verdi-Aida-Blu-ray-Violeta-Urmana/dp/B001CZVVWS/

Sure, there are some great singers on disc, but for me, opera is best enjoyed with visuals -- especially a spectacle like Aida. I saw this in the movie theater and bought the Blu-ray when it became available. The is a new production by Franco Zeffirelli. The reviewers on Amazon are quite correct in taking issue with the video gimmicks, but...
I have that one but I have not yet viewed it or listened to it.

My feeling about visuals is mixed. The ideal opera experience, imho, is live but I am not as enthusiastic about DVD/BluRay. Many are too stylized/eccentric/uninspired/etc. even if the singing is good. Whether the staging/directing is bad or good, I find it does not stand up to repeat performance in the way the singing/music does. As a result, I rarely watch BD operas more than once or twice but I am likely listen to them more than that.

Kal

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing