How to Allocate Your Budget for Best SQ

witchdoctor

Apr 23, 2016
The old school model of budget allocation traditionally focused on front left and right speakers first and then supporting components depending on stereo or HT. I have seen the future and IMO you can kiss that model goodbye. I don't care how much money you spend on the front pair of speakers two speakers simply can't create the sense of a live performance the way a 3D immersive audio system can. I think you are better off allocating your budget to a set of 8 bookshelf speakers, a center channel and a subwoofer and running an atmos, auro 3d, or dts x setup. If you have a $2000 budget for speakers better to get nine $200 speakers and a subwoofer than two $1000 speakers, period.

For example nine of these at $150 a pop:

https://www.amazon.com/Definitive-T...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B005XXMMG4

plus one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/Definitive-T...1472138938&sr=1-3&keywords=def+tech+subwoofer

in an atmos, auro or dts x setup is better than two of these in a two channel stereo setup for the same money:

https://www.amazon.com/Definitive-T...139057&sr=1-18&keywords=definitive+technology

Last edited:

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Allocate your money the way you deem best. I don't think you will have a large number of people lining up behind you.

witchdoctor

Apr 23, 2016
Allocate your money the way you deem best. I don't think you will have a large number of people lining up behind you.

I know, setting up 5 bed channels and 4 height channels is a barrier to implementation vs plunking down a pair of speakers, that's why i felt I needed to make this post. Looking at your footer you have an awesome two channel system. I can imagine you feel no need to change anything at this point. I felt the same way UNTIL I was able to experience a 9.1 system in my home, with my gear, not a demo at a show. Just like there was the leap from mono to stereo this leap from stereo to 3d audio is just as, if not more, significant. I promise once someone tries it there is no way they are going back to only stereo. I have a two channel desktop system that I love, I didn't give up on it but there is only so much magic two speakers can provide. :)

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
I felt the same way UNTIL I was able to experience a 9.1 system in my home, with my gear, not a demo at a show.
But there's no 9.1 music available. If you are talking about HT, ignore the rest of my post.

Even as a multichannel fan, I think your recommendation is a bit over the top. Sure, multichannel is superior to stereo but simply throwing a lot of very inexpensive speakers against the wall (figuratively) will not assure you of good tonal balance, soundstaging and clarity. Those are fundamental to what I regard as necessary for "best SQ."

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
I promise once someone tries it there is no way they are going back to only stereo.

While I am in your camp, lots and lots and lots are not. I have a friend who has an amazing 2 channel system utiliizzng $65,000 Magico speakers, all reference quality electronics (Spectral, dCS, etc. in a custom room and the sound is fabulous. He has tried the 3D route for music (in the same room), and isn't buying. If you have been listening to 2 speakers for music as long as he has (I have even longer) the change is not as easy you one might imagine.

In a related example, a well know song writer and friend of mine at the time (wrote for Janis Joplin and others), has been mixing in the typical environment. The mixing console completely screwed up the sound from the monitoring speakers (Image shift, all kinds of phase issues, etc) so he let me bring in some room correction technology. The measurements (and sound) before and after were very different, the corrected version clearly being much more accurate. Here is what he said: 'It is clear the the corrected sound is the far more accurate sound but I have been mixing this way for over 30 years and I could never get used to this new and better sound."

Just saying'

As an aside, while I almost exclusively listen to 2 channel with 11 speakers + subs, not all of it is sounds right. But most sure does and I can always switch back to 2 channel if necessary!!

witchdoctor

Apr 23, 2016
I have found the upmixer in Auro3D to work great with all types of content. Two channel just sounds "flat" in comparison..

Even as a multichannel fan, I think your recommendation is a bit over the top.

I think the same could be said about many things in this hobby. I would say that 3D audio challenges the status quo but it isn't more over the top than say some of the costs of other high end components. That's why I think budgeting is so important. This is over the top:
http://www.wsj.com/article_email/a-...ity-pole-1471189463-lMyQjAxMTE2MzE4NjExMjY1Wj

Sure, multichannel is superior to stereo but simply throwing a lot of very inexpensive speakers against the wall (figuratively) will not assure you of good tonal balance, soundstaging and clarity.

It depends on the speakers. I linked to the Def Tech SM45's as an example of what I think as a good budget speaker. An expensive pair of speakers configured in stereo don't assure you of soundstaging, clarity, etc. either.

http://www.soundstageglobal.com/ind...price-definitive-technologys-sm45-loudspeaker

Those are fundamental to what I regard as necessary for "best SQ."[/QUOTE]

My opinion of what is necessary for "best SQ" changed as soon as I setup an Auro 3D system in my space. All I use is the upmixer and have 0 native content.
I can't compare it to Atmos or DTS-X but if you read my Auro 3D review here another member with an Atmos setup mentions he prefers 3D audio to stereo as well.

A 3D setup doesn't have to use inexpensive speakers either. I am just saying take your budget and use it for an immersive setup. I don't think that would be possible with less than $2000 for 9 speakers and a sub but it sure could be done with more :)

Last edited:

witchdoctor

Apr 23, 2016
Audioguy, that's a great point about the flexibility to switch codecs. With a 3D setup you just push a button and you are listening in stereo again.
As for mixing I read some posts by engineers from The Dub Stage and it does take practice to "change gears".

I think I had to title this post the way I did so people with coin to spend at least think about a 3D setup for music, even if they are not big into HT.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing