Favorite Heifetz recordings.

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
www.musicfirstdistribution.ca
At 58, I just discovered this man.

I am not a religious man, but he is rightfully known as God's violinist.

What are your favorite recordings of him?

Reactions: Manesp2

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
Brahms and Tchaikovsky Violin Concertos, Reiner, Chicago Symphony, RCA Living Stereo SACD.

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
These 5 classics are the great to delve into his masterful violin playing.

Attachments

• heifetz.jpg
    heifetz.jpg
    393.7 KB · Views: 18

JaMo

Jan 17, 2020
Sweden

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
The Vitali Chaconne is breathtaking.

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
1.Heifetz on Tchaikovsky concerto Reiner Chicago is my favorite Tchaikovsky concerto and i own around 8 recordings + heard more than 50 different violinists! Even different recordings of Oistrakh cant compete whit Heifetz on Tchaikovsky concerto. In my humble opinion ever time when you get out of your mind whit a divine Heifetz recording remember that there is almost sure a Oistrakh recording whit the same repertoire which is same league... By example on Brahms double concerto Oistrakh/Rostropovich/Szell/Clevland you may think over in comparison whit Heifetz and Piatigorsky.

2.There is a double Cd which is very difficult to find named "The Last Recital" on you tube you can listen to both Cds completely i have never seen it pity enough as LP and this recording is strange enough not very famous but straight from heaven never heard this level of violin in a live Recital even not from Oistrakh "its made for Gods taste" words are incompetent to explain he was 71 yers old when recorded live.....

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
I have this box from Classic records with 33 45 rpm,recorded only from one side,really amazing

Wowww i like to have this ):

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
The Vitali Chaconne is breathtaking.

Kal, I didn't knew this one! It's on Qobuz, so I played it today, and it's indeed breathtaking! The whole album is highly recommended.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
1.Heifetz on Tchaikovsky concerto Reiner Chicago is my favorite Tchaikovsky concerto and i own around 8 recordings + heard more than 50 different violinists! Even different recordings of Oistrakh cant compete whit Heifetz on Tchaikovsky concerto. In my humble opinion ever time when you get out of your mind whit a divine Heifetz recording remember that there is almost sure a Oistrakh recording whit the same repertoire which is same league... By example on Brahms double concerto Oistrakh/Rostropovich/Szell/Clevland you may think over in comparison whit Heifetz and Piatigorsky.

2.There is a double Cd which is very difficult to find named "The Last Recital" on you tube you can listen to both Cds completely i have never seen it pity enough as LP and this recording is strange enough not very famous but straight from heaven never heard this level of violin in a live Recital even not from Oistrakh "its made for Gods taste" words are incompetent to explain he was 71 yers old when recorded live.....

Some part of this cd (from the video) sounds like digitized vinyl play while other part is just pure digitized. Great music. Great piano.

Reactions: amadeus

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Kal, I didn't knew this one! It's on Qobuz, so I played it today, and it's indeed breathtaking! The whole album is highly recommended.
Yes. I've spent decades looking for a modern recording that comes anywhere near it and, so far, have not. But I ain't dead yet.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Have you heard the Kogan Tchaikovsky? The original is over 5k but available on the ERC (still 1k ish), and while I normally don't like ERC this is one of two ERC that I do. Both recording and performance.

Also the Szeryng Tchaikovsky on RCA is very good, very intense.

Also if you can try Devy Erlih on Ducretet Thompson or Erica Morini Tchaikovsky on Westminster

Last edited:
Reactions: gian60

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Heifetz Bach chaconne - video below

Last edited:
Reactions: gian60

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I have this box from Classic records with 33 45 rpm,recorded only from one side,really amazing

yes; have this box too. spectacular sounding. and most of them (single sided Classic 45's) i already owned. there is one that is unique to that box. i think the Brahms. it's wonderful. unless you buy the whole box you can't get that one.

the Heifetz Rozsa/Benjamin 5 disc single sided 45 is a favorite.

i like the Cisco 33rpm Kreurtzer reissue (LSC-2577) too.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
yes; have this box too. spectacular sounding. and most of them (single sided Classic 45's) i already owned. there is one that is unique to that box. i think the Brahms. it's wonderful.

For Brahms I prefer first Kogan then Oistrakh. Kogan too expensive. So I own Oistrakh. And G's Kogan test press was was ultra expensive, but blowing.

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
Have you heard the Kogan Tchaikovsky? The original is over 5k but available on the ERC (still 1k ish), and while I normally don't like ERC this is one of two ERC that I do. Both recording and performance.

Also the Szeryng Tchaikovsky on RCA is very good, very intense.

Also if you can try Devy Erlih on Ducretet Thompson or Erica Morini Tchaikovsky on Westminster
I love the Kogan Thcaikovsky and I only had the reissue from Testament. However, now I ordered the master tape from Reel to Reel tapes Russia, because of the virus it is now held at customs but will arrive once it clears.

Here is the information I got from a personal email to the label:

"As I know, record of Kogan, was created by Columbia, but at 1959 they gave license and dub of original to Melodiya for release.
Now, that tape is issued by Reel to Reel tapes Russia under license and under agreement with Melodiya record label."

https://reel-to-reel-tapes-russia.com/en/tchaikovsky-violin-concerto-op-35-en/

Reactions: bonzo75

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing