Famous Swiss Tape Recorder Brand To Re-introduce Reel-to-Reel Analog Recorder!

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Beautiful deck!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
That's good guess. Would have a broad customer base because it's a fully professional deck (with servo-controlled tape tension...something the B77/PR99 transport did not have), yet it can also appeal to the audiophile customer due to it's compact size and 1/4" format. Any guesses as to a price for a C-270 if it were to be resurrected?

http://www.reeltoreel.de/worldwide/C270-E.htm

The Revox A700 would also be a great machine, and perhaps much less expensive. They would probably get rid of the noisy linear potentiometers and use better analog electronics. The A700 has servo controlled tape tension in both sides and handles tapes very smoothly.

If going for a Revox based machine perhaps they will start from a existing the chassis and parts of an used machine - there are still hundreds available for sale and it perhaps it will be much less expensive and time consuming than starting from scratch.

May be this link with information on Audio-analog Kuhn will be of help http://analog-audio.eu/sites/default/files/docs/Analog_Audio_E.pdf

R2R

Mar 1, 2012
USA
That's good guess. Would have a broad customer base because it's a fully professional deck (with servo-controlled tape tension...something the B77/PR99 transport did not have), yet it can also appeal to the audiophile customer due to it's compact size and 1/4" format. Any guesses as to a price for a C-270 if it were to be resurrected?

http://www.reeltoreel.de/worldwide/C270-E.htm

The ReVox C-270 cost about $3,600 for the 2-track version and went up to $8,000 for the other two. So my guess is that they would start around $3,000 - 5,000 for the new ones?

Last edited:

R2R

Mar 1, 2012
USA
IMG_6130 copy.jpg

I still use my ReVox C-270 on and off. It's a very good machine!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I think Rich Brown has/had a 270 and Charlie rebuilt the electronics for it.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I think Rich Brown has/had a 270 and Charlie rebuilt the electronics for it.

I'll tell ya what I don't like about the 270 compared to the Pro Studer decks and it's the tape path. It looks like the right side of the tape path was just removed from the deck. It's missing. Gone. Somebody took it. Call the police. :p

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I'll tell ya what I don't like about the 270 compared to the Pro Studer decks and it's the tape path. It looks like the right side of the tape path was just removed from the deck. It's missing. Gone. Somebody took it. Call the police. :p

The first time I pressed the PLAY button of the Studer A80 I was really impressed. The size, solid feeling and movement precision of the tape path made my Revox A700 and PR99 look like children toys.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
The first time I pressed the PLAY button of the Studer A80 I was really impressed. The size, solid feeling and movement precision of the tape path made my Revox A700 and PR99 look like children toys.

I understand that totally. Look at the tape path of the A80 and you will understand what I'm saying about the 270.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
to understand what is so special about the modern Studer Master Recorders (A80, A-820) just look under the cover panel below the reels.

there is nothing in high end audio built today (possibly the late 90's Rockport Sirius III being the lone exception) that comes close to the massive one-piece casting you see. and when you play one that solidity comes thru in the sound. it's more like an industrial tool machine than a piece of audio gear. this is a case where execution of concept = performance.

the 'other' generally considered 'best transport'; the Ampex ATR-102....is not nearly as massively built.

and i love the A-820 for it's silky smooth tape handling. i've not spent enough time with an A80 to know how close it comes in this area to the A-820.

HDVS

May 20, 2014
Italy
Yes, A80 and A820 and extremely well built recorders. Hi mechanical precision and smooth (and also very fast in the case of the A820) tape handling with looow W&F.

Just take a look at this video for a special A820:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuJ9yNFVIFM

In reply to post #24:

If you like to know some more about hte history of that particular A80, copy and past this link into Google translator:

http://avaudiovintage.forumfree.it/?t=68509180

and even this, if you like to discover more on a 1" A820:

http://forum.videohifi.com/discussion/308350/nella-mia-stanza-dei-balocchi/p1

Coming back to the possible future production of a "new" rtr from Revox, it was rumored it could be a PR99.

Last edited:

jdza

May 3, 2010
Andreas Kuhn is the custodian of the Studer archive. So far he is rebuilding and rejuvenating Studers with great care and precision. He is also passionate about these machines to the extent that he once helped me out of a dwang with a rare part earmarked for his machines. Harman has done unexpected things lately-witness JBL's current drive into high quality sound in the home, so it may well be that they will support Kuhn in relaunching a Studer branded analogue recorder with audio electronics designed by John Curl . Hah ,Dream on!

However restarting manufacturing is another ballgame. Studer destroyed the dyes for the chassis casting of the mastering machines as they claimed they had worn out. I am not sure how economically viable it would be to restart that process.

The A700 may be a good place to base a new model on as it is mechanically half Revox half Studer. On the other hand Studer always claimed that by the launch of the 807 (and I assume the C270) they had perfected the electronic management of the tape path to such a degree that the right sided rollers and tension system were no longer needed.

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Yes, A80 and A820 and extremely well built recorders. Hi mechanical precision and smooth (and also very fast in the case of the A820) tape handling with looow W&F.

Just take a look at this video for a special A820:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuJ9yNFVIFM

In reply to post #24:

If you like to know some more about hte history of that particular A80, copy and past this link into Google translator:

http://avaudiovintage.forumfree.it/?t=68509180

and even this, if you like to discover more on a 1" A820:

http://forum.videohifi.com/discussion/308350/nella-mia-stanza-dei-balocchi/p1

HDVS,

Mille Grazie for those links :p

HDVS

May 20, 2014
Italy
Sam, happy to know you appreciated my contribution.
I'm new here, so forgive me if I do some mess when posting...

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Absolutely. I have two A-820 recorders, two 1/2" headstacks (1.318 series) and two 1/4" headstacks (1.318 series, one 2 mm and the other 0.75 mm) with all the appropriate rollers and NAB adapters.
Charlie Bolois, Vertigo Recording Services, and Martin Berner, Audiohouse, assist with technical aspects.

This 1" format has me thinking...:p

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com

Tapetech

Apr 10, 2014
Fairfax, VA
45ips is WAY too fast for tape.

Agreed! I've sometimes used 22.5 ips with very good results when recording live music. A quite noticeable improvement in transient response (vs. 15ips), with only a minor compromise in low end response and tape-running time. Also at 22.5ips, you can use 17.5 usec play EQ which gives you a bit lower noise floor (Vs. 35 usec @ 15ips).

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Agreed! I've sometimes used 22.5 ips with very good results when recording live music. A quite noticeable improvement in transient response (vs. 15ips), with only a minor compromise in low end response and tape-running time. Also at 22.5ips, you can use 17.5 usec play EQ which gives you a bit lower noise floor (Vs. 35 usec @ 15ips).

+1 ;)

HDVS

May 20, 2014
Italy
45ips is WAY too fast for tape.

Due to some extra work I'm doing this last year, I've never had the chance to tweak the equalization of the recorder to get the best linearity at 45 IPS. I have to rewrite the code inside the firmware in order to get the machine running at 45 IPS in standard PLAY and RECORD mode (without varispeed mode ON) in order to get the correct time indication on the counter. I also have to enable the LF equalization used for the NAB in RECORD mode but not in replay, just to see what happens and if the rolloff under 50 Hz is acceptable. I have to find some time sooner or later...

HDVS

May 20, 2014
Italy
Absolutely. I have two A-820 recorders, two 1/2" headstacks (1.318 series) and two 1/4" headstacks (1.318 series, one 2 mm and the other 0.75 mm) with all the appropriate rollers and NAB adapters.
Charlie Bolois, Vertigo Recording Services, and Martin Berner, Audiohouse, assist with technical aspects.

This 1" format has me thinking...:p

Very nice Sam!
I'm missing the 1/2" format, but have the almost complete family of Studer A820:

1/4" falf track
1/4" quarter track
1" 4 track 2 CH
1/4" DASH (PCM model)

Besides these, some other models, as visible in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbi7uIrnBGc

In all (audio and video) there are about 80 open reel recorders in my basement and storage rooms. My wife is hating me! But I always say: "think if they were 80 lovers..." :D

I know Martin, a very nice and available person and, of course, one of the veterans in (now gone) Studer.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing