Famous Swiss Tape Recorder Brand To Re-introduce Reel-to-Reel Analog Recorder!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Tapetech

Apr 10, 2014
Fairfax, VA
Personal preferences aside and brands aside, what format would have the greatest chance of commercial success? As in the most chance of turning a profit and staying available. Which is most in demand or would have the largest customer-base? Hard to say, I believe.

-portable 1/4", 2 track (10" reel capable)
-multi-track, large format (1" or 2")
-1/4", 2-track prosumer
-1/2", 2-track, pro deck

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I think a new Studer-produced deck would be strictly oriented for professional, studio use. Not a consumer, home-market deck. Hence my guess of an 8-track. I would prefer they build a 1/4 inch "prosumer" deck, but I don't see them making a profit off such a product.

8 track is extremely limited for studio use. Do audiophiles have any purpose for it?

Tim

Tapetech

Apr 10, 2014
Fairfax, VA
8 track is extremely limited for studio use. Do audiophiles have any purpose for it?

Tim

The Beatles did quite well, both sonically and artistically, with 8-track (Abby Road). Most of their albums were done on 4-track decks without that much compromise. I proposed 8-track, 2" because NR is not at all needed with that format. I think if someone is to go to the trouble of reintroducing a new analog deck, it should sound really good.

We don't know yet if this new deck is targeted for audiophiles. I don't think that's a given. Could be just for recording studios.

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Myles,

I was wondering about the Studer in post #192, pics: 1, 4, 7, and 8.
Can anyone i.d. this deck?

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Looks like 1", 2-track. Same format TTP uses for their running masters. That's considered "ultimate analog".

Those decks you indicated may be Studer C37s (tube-electronics).

Ah...thanks :D
I am utterly ignorant regarding "ultimate analog" :eek:
1/4", 1/2", and 2" RMGI SM900 seem to be readily available...don't know how common 1" tape would be :confused:
Boy, I'd like a set-up like that for remote recordings...but it's likely too massive.

Still searching for the right A810 with 2 mm headstack for location recording duty :p

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Those are some really old Studer decks in those pictures.

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
Anyone use a IV-S with QGB?
How's the W&F? I've read it's rather slow when invoking FF and rewind.

Hi Sam:

I'll have to check the manuals for your W&F data. However, I know it has one of the best limiters and with elegant servo control on QGB, it should have very low W&F numbers. Some of the most stunning Proprius label recordings were originally made with the IV-S/QGB combo such as the Jazz at the Pawnshop with Nagra Master EQ.

Without the QGB, one must have patience in fast winding modes, but I find it very usable when FF & REW tape with QGB adapter installed. Again I'll have to check the figures for actual winding time for 2400' tape when I get home.

Ki

jdza

May 3, 2010
Rethinking this in the cold light of day, I think it is Revox after all:

Fremer says a former manufacturer of pro and semi pro machines. Only Revox qualify.

The only currently active producer is Otari with a machine that is really little more than a Revox B77. That is where the small market is, not way up there. Even bottomless pit national/state broadcasters who formerly would have a Studer just to dump tape now have Otari 5050s . Just like they have Technics SL 1200s where formerly SP10s and EMTs would be.

How many Audiophiles are going to spend $100k on a tape machine? Maybe 5,all on this forum? Quite a few may go for the probably $15-20k needed for a Revox C77.

Tooling up for a B77 type machine will be much simpler than any of the old mastering machines. I'm told that one can have a brand new B77 built right now if you know where to ask. Not that that means anything. Hilpert Tonstudio can build (and service) a brand new SOTA AEG-Telefunken M21 or older design M15 at ridiculously low prices and none of us are running there.

Tapetech

Apr 10, 2014
Fairfax, VA
Rethinking this in the cold light of day, I think it is Revox after all:

If true, I think a re-issue of the PR-99 model may have more potential buyers: Both audiophiles and low-budget studios. It would need transport improvements, however. Both the B77 and PR99 had unregulated tape tension, which is a serious short-coming. Either quasi-regulated reel tension (like the Sonorus deck, which is based on the B77) or servo tape-tension would need to be implemented.

Big question is who is the biggest potential market for a new deck? Audiophiles or recording studios?

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Hi Sam:

I'll have to check the manuals for your W&F data. However, I know it has one of the best limiters and with elegant servo control on QGB, it should have very low W&F numbers. Some of the most stunning Proprius label recordings were originally made with the IV-S/QGB combo such as the Jazz at the Pawnshop with Nagra Master EQ.

Without the QGB, one must have patience in fast winding modes, but I find it very usable when FF & REW tape with QGB adapter installed. Again I'll have to check the figures for actual winding time for 2400' tape when I get home.

Ki

Thanks, Ki :)

A IV-S was an elegant solution for me as it featured fine mic amps; however, I was unsuccessful sourcing one in the configuration, condition, and price tier, which I preferred.
So, I moved on to a Gordon mic amp and Korg DSD recorder -- which doesn't s**k too bad as location recording goes ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing