Eye Candy

As I remember, there's also a third table in the collection :)

Myles and Audioarcher, I use an airbearing linear tracker, the TransFi Audio Terminator T3Pro. The wand is 3"-4" only, and I don't even clamp my lps. Other than severely warped records, that also defeated my previous SME V, there are no problems tracking "difficult" lps. Total giant killer at $1500.

Myles and Audioarcher, I use an airbearing linear tracker, the TransFi Audio Terminator T3Pro. The wand is 3"-4" only, and I don't even clamp my lps. Other than severely warped records, that also defeated my previous SME V, there are no problems tracking "difficult" lps. Total giant killer at $1500.

It's not really a matter of a short arm tracking a warp. The issue is the sound changing as it goes over the warps. The shorter the arm is, the more SRA will change going over warps. With a 1 inch arm wand this becomes pretty extreme.

This is just a guestimate and not an actual measurement, but lets say the SRA changes 1/4 of a degree going over a 3/32 inch high warp, with a 9 inch arm. With a 1 inch arm the SRA may change as much as 2 or 3 degrees, going over the same warp.

Another thing to think about is that alignment will change as well, when you go over warps. This is because as the arm rises, or lowers, it traces an arc. The shorter the arm, the more extreme the arc, and the more error in alignment. When the alignment is off, it causes the zenith to change. What I mean by that is, the horizontal angle of the stylus to the groove will change.

It's not really a matter of a short arm tracking a warp. The issue is the sound changing as it goes over the warps. The shorter the arm is, the more SRA will change going over warps. With a 1 inch arm wand this becomes pretty extreme.

This is just a guestimate and not an actual measurement, but lets say the SRA changes 1/4 of a degree going over a 3/32 inch high warp, with a 9 inch arm. With a 1 inch arm the SRA may change as much as 2 or 3 degrees, going over the same warp.

Another thing to think about is that alignment will change as well, when you go over warps. This is because as the arm rises, or lowers, it traces an arc. The shorter the arm, the more extreme the arc, and the more error in alignment. When the alignment is off, it causes the zenith to change. What I mean by that is, the horizontal angle of the stylus to the groove will change.

All excellent points. I'd use a periphery ring in these situations and I've seen many such rings used with the Clearaudio linear tracking arm which is also very short. The SME washer/record clamp deals very effectively with warps and eliminates the need for such a ring.

I like this one...

MOMENTUS_V2-M.jpg

...and this one...

GEM-M.jpg

tt1.jpgtt2.jpgtt3.jpgtt4^.jpgtt6+.jpg

tt7.jpgtt8.jpgtt9.jpgtt10.jpgtt11.jpg

tt12.jpgtt13.jpgtt14.jpgtt15.jpgtt16.jpg

tt17.jpgtt18.jpgtt19.jpgtt20.jpgtt21.jpg

tt22.jpgtt23.jpgtt24.jpg

Love the Beat with the Schroder LT and the Saskia. Two very serious contemporary designs. I'd also like to hear the Axiom arm.

Surprised no one commented on the Hartwig with the Ikeda 407 arm and Kai cartridge. Ought to be a sweet combo.

Love the Beat with the Schroder LT and the Saskia. Two very serious contemporary designs. I'd also like to hear the Axiom arm.

Thanks Peter.

The interesting thing about the photos Myles posted of the Saskia are the tonearms. The first photo (taken at CAF) had the very first Schröder tonearm ever to be sold in the US on the turntable, and the other photos (taken at RMAF) had the very most recent Schröder made on the turntable.

That Saskia Model Two prototype logged thousands of miles, and it is amazing how beat up equipment can get after it is shown, loaned, and shuttled around for a few months. The good part is that slate can be easily refinished, and final production parts can be fitted without worry.

Thanks for all the pictures, this is one of my favorite threads of all time.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing