Experience with SME 3009 tonearm?

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
How does a vintage SME 3009, 3009R compare with today's top 9" tonearm?
I have limited exposure to 9” tonearms but I’ve heard a few of the most touted ones. The 3009-R holds its own against them and can even be better in some aspects.
david

Scar972

Sep 1, 2017
Fort Worth, TX
Thank you for your response. That's high praise for an old arm!
I was just given a 3009-R from a friend, but not sure if I wanted to mount it as I would have to purchase an arm board for it and it would be replacing a Morch DP-6 that's currently mounted. My two Garrards are plinthed for 12" arms so the 3009-R wouldn't be an option.
What is special about the 3009-R sound and construction? It seems like you prefer them to the standard 3009.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Thank you for your response. That's high praise for an old arm!
I was just given a 3009-R from a friend, but not sure if I wanted to mount it as I would have to purchase an arm board for it and it would be replacing a Morch DP-6 that's currently mounted. My two Garrards are plinthed for 12" arms so the 3009-R wouldn't be an option.
What is special about the 3009-R sound and construction? It seems like you prefer them to the standard 3009.
Old doesn't mean dated in a vinyl chain, there's not much new today vs before. For one thing the SME is a lot simpler than the Morch to setup and sonically it's more natural with better bass. I prefer the R version, for me it's a more solid sound and isn't limited in choice of cartridges like the standard Series II is. Just to be clear I'm a big fan of SME 30xx- R tonearms.

david

Reactions: ALF and shakti

Scar972

Sep 1, 2017
Fort Worth, TX
Thank you, David.
If the 3009-R can equal or better the Morch DP-6 , that would be quite a task, but anything is possible. I think the Morch is one of the sleepers in high-end tonearms with its excellent design, build, and flexibility. Your comments have got me really curious about the old sme.
I'm surprised there's no one else experienced with the SME 3009 and other top tonearms.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Thank you, David.
If the 3009-R can equal or better the Morch DP-6 , that would be quite a task, but anything is possible. I think the Morch is one of the sleepers in high-end tonearms with its excellent design, build, and flexibility. Your comments have got me really curious about the old sme.
I'm surprised there's no one else experienced with the SME 3009 and other top tonearms.
You're welcome :)! Actually the 3012-R is enjoying a revival and a lot of popularity on this forum, we're even making 30xx specific setup tools.

DP-6 is a fine sounding tonearm but setup procedure is a bitch and IME parameters change over time, temperature and change in viscosity is a problem with silicone baths. Vinyl playback was a settled science back in the 50's a new product today is based on that science and was made right back then is still great today. SME 30xx series is one of those eternal classics as are your Garrards! Needless to say that proper setup is key to everything.

david

Reactions: marmota

djsina2

May 30, 2019
I recently got a NOS 3010R and while no direct comparisons I’ve had Kuzma 4P, EMT 997, Reed 3P in the past. I think the SME sounds great and compares with those arms.

Reactions: jeff1225

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

The most important difference between the 30xx and 30xxR is the arm tube wall - aluminum in the common 30xx and Stainless steel arm tube (thickness 0,25mm) in the R series.

The R series also has a lateral balance transversal adjustment, but all the photos I have seen of it in WBF were with rider weight assembly in the central position.

Reactions: Scar972

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
The most important difference between the 30xx and 30xxR is the arm tube wall - aluminum in the common 30xx and Stainless steel arm tube (thickness 0,25mm) in the R series.

The R series also has a lateral balance transversal adjustment, but all the photos I have seen of it in WBF were with rider weight assembly in the central position.

Mine is not in the central position. It is close with the VDH because it is such a light cartridge, but the counterweight assembly was way to the left of the arm tube with the airtight supreme cartridge. This is for lateral balance when the arm is floating.

Reactions: Scar972

Scar972

Sep 1, 2017
Fort Worth, TX
@djsina2 that's a heady company you're putting the R series in....I'm excited to try it!
I was doing some reading and a few things jumped out at me, it uses knife-edge bearing and a stainless steel arm tube as @microstrip mentioned. There's not a whole lot of modern arm using knife-edge bearing that I'm aware of, perhaps this bearing is what makes these old sme special.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
We make this one for perfect alignment without having to deal with odd shapes of cartridges and without damage risk to your stylus and cantilever.

View attachment 65682

david

This is a nice tool, David. I like the long straight sides that are parallel to each other for easy sighting and alignment. This solves one problem I found with my original SME 3012R headshell: The sides are not perfectly parallel. That is, the two sides each flare out slightly toward the back, and the headshell edges are high above the grid plane, so your tool is much easier and accurate.

I find this tool works best when the armtube is close to level allowing the clear metal jig to lie flat on the grid sheet. However, with my vdH cartridges sounding best when the arm is raised in back, to get proper alignment, this places the jig at an angle where only the front edge hits the grid sheet. It is still far better than using the cartridge in the headshell and also risking damage to the cantilever/cartridge during set up.

One issue I found is that one must make sure the cantilever is parallel to the headshell edges when installing the cartridge in the headshell. Zenith adjustment. There is slight wiggle room to rotate the cartridge in the SME headshell even though it has two mounting screw holds rather than slots.

Reactions: ddk

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
There is slight wiggle room to rotate the cartridge in the SME headshell even though it has two mounting screw holds rather than slots.

If the 3012R headshell screw holds are the same size as those on an SME V, that wriggle room is indeed very slight. I remember ever so slightly increasing (~0.5mm ?) the size of the mounting holes on one of the removable headshells used with my SME Vd.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing