Evolution Acoustics MMMicroOne loudspeakers

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi Davey,

I totally disagree with you. We should absolutely keep the Magico and any other 20k+ loudspeakers in this discussion. FORGET PRICE, it has nothing to do with reality.

<snip> :)

Refreshing! An attitude I hope Evo Acoustics maintain. I have been saying this: This notion of "price range" distorts the discussion and distracts from the real performance and worth of many products to the extent of some of them languishing n the marketplace because of their "low" prices . We, audiophiles, seem to be conditioned to equate price with performance and to that, the industry has responded.. had to respond in kind. I remember the MM3 introductory price met with almost incredulity (Is it why the price has almost doubled :) ???). It remains a speaker that strikes more than my curiosity, those who's heard it thinks of it as one of the best speakers at any price and yet ... I can safely say that 99.9% of audiophiles don't think it to be in the league of more often mentioned, thus more expensive speakers ... The same can be said of others speakers that are in lower strata of the "Price Range" ... And this take away from discussion several superlative speakers, Incredible great sounding ranging from the MG 20.7 (15 K), The Vandersteen 7 ($45K) passing thoyugh the MM3to the Rockport Altair and the Von Sweikert VR9etc.. It is as if we unconsciously think:They can't be that good since they are "only" less than $100K. The same is happening here although in the less than $20 K the field is dense with great speakers and the MMMicros have stiff competition .... in this price range :D. I can understand the enthusiasm and will forgive some hyperbole :)

P.S. I also don't like the constant innuendo about things made in China to be automatically of inferior quality. There is barely hidden xenophilia in such statements.

Jeff Fritz

[Industry Expert]
Jun 7, 2010
Hi Doug,

We actually have met quite a few times and you refused to cover our rooms. Due to that, I respectfully decline your invitation.

A quick search reveals that we've covered at least one of your speakers within the past couple years:
http://www.soundstage.com/index.php?option=com_igallery&view=gallery&id=20&Itemid=202

But are you saying that you do not want to establish a working relationship? The reviewer that Doug mentions has reviewed a number of two-way speakers in the same general price range as yours. In fact, his reference is a two-way Amphion that retails for $3995. In the past year or two Philip has reviewed speakers from Definitive Technology, Focal, Thiel, Paradigm, Von Schweikert, and PSB to name a handful -- all credible products. So this would put your speaker in proper context. As well, you would get a world-class set of speaker measurements that would inform the consumer and that you could also use to corroborate your own data. A win/win in my book. All you have to cover is shipping to and from our reviewer (we pay the NRC).

Last edited:

das

Industry Expert
Nov 15, 2010
www.soundstagenetwork.com
We actually have met quite a few times and you refused to cover our rooms. Due to that, I respectfully decline your invitation.

Hello,

We have? One thing I have to say is there is a reviewer that occasionally people confuse my name with -- Doug Schroeder. That's not me.

In any event, the offer stands. I'm into speakers -- and we have the best measurements in the business. If a company is credible and their product is good, they usually send them to us. KEF's an example, as are 100+ others -- www.speakermeasurements.com

I have no axe to grind, only good products to find. So if you wish to send your speakers for the evaluation, we'd be happy to do so.

Doug Schneider
www.SoundStageNetwork.com

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I ve never heard E A speakers unfortunately, but i would say that the amount of membrane surface is a (the) key to reproducing a accurate portrayal of the recording.
A double 4 inch mid , compared to a single 7 inch can be very convincing,as the total surface doubles at 4 inch .
Some people make the mistake to compare the 7 inch bass 35 hz reproduction to a 11 inch 35 hz for example , although its the same tone 35 hz , the way the air is moved is very differenet .
Thats why a 2 way system has off course a physical limitation.

Ps the smaller the mid is in this example 4 inch , the more refined it can be , so a 2 times 4 could sound physicaly better than a 7 inch.
It moves air different (less pistonic resistence)

just my opinion

Last edited:

das

Industry Expert
Nov 15, 2010
Sounds like a great offer from Jeff to review these speakers and get true measurements. I hope the offer is taken by JT.

Hi,

It's actually me who made the offer to review and measure them, but Jeff and I work for the same entity, so it's all the same. The review would be done by Philip Beaudette, likely, the measurements, as always, but NRC.

Time will tell. If I were in their shoes, I'd send a pair it's a good product. But submitting the product for review and measurements is when the rubber meets the road -- and some manufacturers don't come through. In fact, this where fear dominates if the confidence in the product isn't there.

Let's see what happens this time, although by that one comment by Mr. Tinn, I'm doubting it (to the best of my knowledge, we've never met...).

Doug Schneider

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Omg!

It was 109 in my back yard in Coto De Caza yesterday

We're only 90' (that's minutes...not degrees, haha) from one another...not long by southern California standards ;)
I hope we can get together and perhaps, listen to music sometime. I regret being unable to realize an opportunity to enjoy your company and hear your system when I was in Burlingame awhile back.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
You know this is beginning to sound like a lot of threats and intimidation. For the record I''ve never seen a rule that all speakers have to pass a Soundstage test. Jonathan is a big boy and can make his own decisions.

Jeff Fritz

[Industry Expert]
Jun 7, 2010
You know this is beginning to sound like a lot of threats and intimidation. For the record I''ve never seen a rule that all speakers have to pass a Soundstage test. Jonathan is a big boy and can make his own decisions.

Really, Myles? Wow! We just made an offer to review and measure the speaker, that's all. It should be no surprise that we believe our process is credible. But you're right, there is no "rule" and he is free to do as he likes with his product.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Jonathan wasn't afraid to send the PD MPS-5 to Stereophile and you see where that got him. JA didn't like the measurements and from then on the machine has been clouded by that one article!

The MM3 doesn't come up on great speaker conversations because of its price. I'd put it up against any speaker in the world. Again, I'd say it's ONE of the greatest speakers made.... that being said, and here is my disclaimer, I'd love to have a pair of XLFs or Sentinals or Q7s or Arrakis or Grande Utopia III or...????/

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com

The short Soundstage blurb featuring the MMMiniTwo contained positive comments. I don't see where Jeff was applying pressure to JTinn, but rather backing up the offer (made by das) to review the speakers. It would probably be wise to take any discussions about business arrangements to email outside of WBF. At any rate, it's gratifying to see the industry participating here to the extent that the average customer (us) sees the interaction and how the review process works from both sides.

The Terms of Service for WBF dictate that discussions be held without personal attacks, etc. We are therefore tasked with maintaining the desired atmosphere for discussions here.

Lee

Jeff Fritz

[Industry Expert]
Jun 7, 2010
The short Soundstage blurb featuring the MMMiniTwo contained positive comments. I don't see where Jeff was applying pressure to JTinn, but rather backing up the offer (made by das) to review the speakers. It would probably be wise to take any discussions about business arrangements to email outside of WBF. At any rate, it's gratifying to see the industry participating here to the extent that the average customer (us) sees the interaction and how the review process works from both sides.

The Terms of Service for WBF dictate that discussions be held without personal attacks, etc. We are therefore tasked with maintaining the desired atmosphere for discussions here.

Lee

Fair enough. I can be reached at jeff@soundstage.com if JTinn or any other company wants to set up a review. I'll bow out of the discussion now.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
It might be just me, but I don't think WBF should be used as a platform for reviewers to solicit products for review or vice versa.

Steve and Amir, thoughts?

das

Industry Expert
Nov 15, 2010
Hi,

That's fair enough and we're happy to do so. I must say I'm a little bit surprised, though, that someone would take issue with any of this. Measuring a speaker -- is a big deal? Not to us. Also, transparency and openness are hallmarks of the way we did it at NRC -- their staff, their equipment, their results . . . we just publish the results and pay the bill.

But I'm happy to abide by the rules. If anyone needs to contact me on this (even other manufacturers), my e-mail address is quite public.

Thanks again,

Doug Schneider

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
all good points.

As for WBF, we certainly did not solicit the suggestion but bear in mind that the OP of this thread who just bought a pair of these speakers thought it would be a good idea.

The fact that this is now taken off line should close the loop

Thanks to all

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
A really valuable offshoot of this conversation would be a thorough discussion of the speaker review process, from the point of view of the manufacturer and the testing entity.

Instead of bowing out, Jeff, would you please start a new thread that details the steps (anonymously) taken to arrange & conduct a speaker review? Hearing how you deal with the various challenges and problems, in an effort to ensure accuracy and fairness, would be very educational. WBF would be much the richer to have such an article in our database!

Lee

Glory

Oct 28, 2011
Destin, FL.

On second thought I think MBA has a different slant on this SS wanna review. Their offer can come across as a checkmate to JT. If he refuses then the common consumer buying the speaker like myself will think JT has something to hid. I for one trust members like Mike/Bruce and many others I know to have reported accurately the sound of these speakers. I've never heard them but trust in the wisdom of those who have reported positive remakes on the MMM1. JT is a very wise business man and whatever he decides to do is what's best of the company he represents. I will report my finding on these speakers when hooked up to my ASR Emitter1/Lamp 5 dac/transport and Stage3 cables. By the way I did get to hear ML's big EA 7's in Seattle and thought it was the best system I ever heard.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
As the President of a well-known high-end electronics company told me, "Internet rumors, etc. are not always associated with reality. As such, there's not really much we can do about that."

Since there are so many positive reports about the sound of the speaker under discussion, it's highly unlikely that there would be any horrendous measurements coming from a test. The issues regarding submitting a device for test are best worked out between the involved parties.

Lee

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing