Evolution Acoustics MMMicroOne loudspeakers

phillipK

Oct 23, 2010
Thank you Steve.
I would not be surprised if our drivers cost as much or more than theirs. :p

Look to me like a HiVi driver (http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co...vi-m4n-4-wide-range-woofer-copper-color-cone/). They also have "white" cones, if needed. Fits the price and "Made In China" profile. BTW, before you jump all over me, I would suggest that, just like Magico, you show photos of the drivers, and the speakers inner parts. Perhaps, throw some measurements, by an objective party, in the mix as well :rolleyes:

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010
JTinn PLEEEASE...:p Q1 vs MM MicroOne and you think that 9 out of 10 would prefer the MMOne:eek::eek: I hope that Alon isn't on this forum, LOL.
I'm no Magico fanboy either but come on!!

DaveyF, I am totally serious. I cannot remember how many people came up to me at CAS and a number of the other shows telling me how much they preferred our speakers compared to the Q1s. Look at the forums and you can see it for yourself.

You coming to RMAF? If so, pop by.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
JTinn PLEEEASE...:p Q1 vs MM MicroOne and you think that 9 out of 10 would prefer the MMOne:eek::eek: I hope that Alon isn't on this forum, LOL.
I'm no Magico fanboy either but come on!!

I've never heard either of these speakers but what would you expect JTinn to say since he works for/is the company. Something like "our speaker is not as good as the Q1 but it costs less"? I might not be as dogmatic as he is if I were in his position but I sure would push the limits of enthusiasm for my products.

das

Industry Expert
Nov 15, 2010
www.soundstagenetwork.com
Hello Mr. Tinn,

We've never met, but if you go to www.SoundStage.com you'll know a bit about me.

I'd like to extend this invitation for us to review your speakers. I am doing this publicly because of the talk on this forum and the fact that I've talked candidly about our measurements, which I believe to be, by far, the best in the business given that we hand it off to a third-party to do in a reference-grade facility: the anechoic chamber at Canada's National Research Council.

As for the review, I'd give that to one of our writers, likely Philip Beaudette, who is local here and handles a lot of two-ways. You have an interesting speaker there, lots of buzz, so a review with some credible measurements would certainly be worthwhile. As I said, I put this out publicly because I chimed into this forum and now I'd like to put my money where my mouth is.

Please feel free to contact me directly at das@soundstagenetwork.com if you'd like to follow this up.

Doug Schneider
www.SoundStageNetwork.com

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
At RMAF 2011 I preferred the MMM1 over the Q1. I only briefly listened to both. The reason I only briefly listened to the MMM1's is because I wanted to hear the TT and arm but the bearing on the TT was damaged in shipping. The reason I briefly listened to the Q1 was because it was sterile and uninvolving. Can the Q1 preform better with different eq? I'm sure it can but until I hear it sound good I'm not that interested. I also heard the Q5 at a local dealer and it was far from sounding good IMO. I don't think it was being driven by enough power so I'm sure I did not hear them at their best. I still have an open mind regarding Magico but my first impressions are not favorable. From what I've read online plenty of people did like the sound they heard in the Magico room at RMAF 2011. This tells me that tastes and opinions can vary greatly. So obviously trust your own ears and pick what sounds best to you.

All that said value is in the ear of the beholder.

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010
Look to me like a HiVi driver (http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co...vi-m4n-4-wide-range-woofer-copper-color-cone/). They also have "white" cones, if needed. Fits the price and "Made In China" profile. BTW, before you jump all over me, I would suggest that, just like Magico, you show photos of the drivers, and the speakers inner parts. Perhaps, throw some measurements, by an objective party, in the mix as well :rolleyes:

Sorry PhillipK, but not only are you so wrong but you are quite aggressive about it.

We manufacture our own drivers. We do however, have our diaphragms for our tweeters and the cones for our low frequency drivers manufactured for us. You can continue to suggest otherwise, but you would continue to be wrong. A comparable tweeter to ours would easily be over $500 a piece. I can tell you that the diaphragm we use, which we have manufactured by Mundorf, is outrageously expensive.

And by the way, 1" beryllium tweeters run, on Madisound, anywhere from $90 to $500 per.

I really have to question who you really are. So far, after looking at all of your posts, they are all only related to Magico. Hmm...

One day you should have a listen to our MMMicroOne, I think you would take a different tone.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Thank you Steve.

I am making an assumption that you are saying that because of price, but I really don't think the price should have anything to do with it.

We could have easily put a 25k price on this speaker. Certainly that is not how we do business, but I do not think its apples to oranges.

We offer a two-way bookshelf on a stand as do they. We use 2 4" mids, they use 1 7" mid. I would not be surprised if our drivers cost as much or more than theirs. As a matter of fact, the tweeter we manufacture for use in our MMMicroOne is more expensive than the one we use in our MMSeven. I acknowledge the cabinet they make is very expensive, but that does not make it better than ours.

I am more than happy to compare them side by side anytime. I realize it certainly would not be in Magico's best interest to do so, but I have no doubt that 9 out of 10 people would prefer the MMMicroOne. The one exception would be DaveyF :) (This is not a personal attack on Davey - notice smiley face!)

Hi Jonathan

I heard Doug Schneider offer to measure both speakers but you guys refused.

I would love to see side by side measurements of the 2 speakers

I wouldn't be revealing to the world or at least present and future MM7 users that the tweeter in your $2500 speaker is more expensive than that in the MM7 ;)

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010
Hello Mr. Tinn,

We've never met, but if you go to www.SoundStage.com you'll know a bit about me.

I'd like to extend this invitation for us to review your speakers. I am doing this publicly because of the talk on this forum and the fact that I've talked candidly about our measurements, which I believe to be, by far, the best in the business given that we hand it off to a third-party to do in a reference-grade facility: the anechoic chamber at Canada's National Research Council.

As for the review, I'd give that to one of our writers, likely Philip Beaudette, who is local here and handles a lot of two-ways. You have an interesting speaker there, lots of buzz, so a review with some credible measurements would certainly be worthwhile. As I said, I put this out publicly because I chimed into this forum and now I'd like to put my money where my mouth is.

Please feel free to contact me directly at das@soundstagenetwork.com if you'd like to follow this up.

Doug Schneider
www.SoundStageNetwork.com

Hi Doug,

We actually have met quite a few times and you refused to cover our rooms. Due to that, I respectfully decline your invitation.

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010
Hi Jonathan

I heard Doug Schneider offer to measure both speakers but you guys refused.

I would love to see side by side measurements of the 2 speakers

I wouldn't be revealing to the world or at least present and future MM7 users that the tweeter in your $2500 speaker is more expensive than that in the MM7 ;)

Hello Steve,

I really have no problem with disclosure regarding our tweeters. Price has never really been a deciding factor in determining which parts we use. Even with the MMMicroOne we took a cost no object approach. As a matter of fact, our cost just about doubled from our prototype to our actual production model. If you look carefully at pictures from the early shows we attended, you will see clear differences in the drivers. Kevin, our designer and engineer, kept making improvements which kept increasing our cost during some of the delays we had.

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010
Evolution Acoustics MMMicroOne Pre-production Drivers

Here are a few non "beauty" shots of our drivers as per your request. Unfortunately these were pre-production versions, so the finish isn't necessarily perfect, but it would certainly be enough to dispel your allegations. At some point, we will take cross section cabinet pictures as well as professional shots of our drivers, but right now we are busy delivering and building loudspeakers. The funny thing is not one customer or interested party has ever requested pictures like you have. I understand you are just trying to discredit us, but as I stated ealier, you happen to be wrong.

DSC03836.jpg L1040380.jpg L1040392.jpg

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010
Hi Jonathan:

I respectfully put my hat in the ring for a review sample!

Hi Andre,

Thanks very much for the offer, but DR Squared has already reserved a pair for review at PFO.

If you want to hear them, maybe I can get Kevin to invite you to his house in Rancho Bernardo.

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010
Thats a huge motor assembly for a 3.5" driver, looks like a 2" voice coil and cast basket too. def not the from the bargin basement bin at madisound. Jon, are you sold out of the first shipment?

Hi Rob,

I wish we had more, but the first shipment came and went very quickly. We also probably have more than half of the next shipment spoken for.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
DaveyF, I am totally serious. I cannot remember how many people came up to me at CAS and a number of the other shows telling me how much they preferred our speakers compared to the Q1s. Look at the forums and you can see it for yourself.

You coming to RMAF? If so, pop by.

Jonathan, please don't get what i am saying wrong. I really do think that your little speaker is a very good buy for the money....possibly the best buy for the money on the market. But like all speakers, it has its pluses and minuses. I'm sure you would agree that there are several speakers available that are better; including up your own line. To compare it to the Magico Q1 isn't IMO a fair fight, firstly if we discount the price difference( which I know is hard to do as I happen to think like Steve that the Q1 is way overpriced) the little MM1 still comes off second best...
To be quite honest, when I heard it the first time, I commented to Kevin that I thought there were issues with the tweeter ( too bright and hard sounding for my taste) and that I also heard the speaker straining in the bottom end and into the lower mids. I'm not saying this is a flaw with the speaker, it just happens to come along with the territory of this size/type of speaker ( which again, I'm pretty sure you have taken care of as one goes up your line)
One thing for sure, I would suspect that the little MM Micro One would sound better than the KEF that was suggested earlier. But let's take the Q1 out of this discussion shall we....:)

Sorry, won't be at RMAF this year, otherwise I would stop by for another pleasant and informative chat with you.

Last edited:

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Hi Andre,

Thanks very much for the offer, but DR Squared has already reserved a pair for review at PFO.

If you want to hear them, maybe I can get Kevin to invite you to his house in Rancho Bernardo.

Hi Jonathan:

That is a very gracious offer. Thank you. It was over 100 degrees F in RB today!

I can also do a review for avrev.com. I have done Gallo, Thiel, and have upcoming reviews for Opera and Martin Logan.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Hi Jonathan:

That is a very gracious offer. Thank you. It was over 100 degrees F in RB today!

I can also do a review for avrev.com. I have done Gallo, Thiel, and have upcoming reviews for Opera and Martin Logan.

What Andre, you can't take the heat, LOL. It was ONLY 106 today when I went to Poway to take my kids for music lessons:D

BTW, I believe the new VS speakers will be at our a'phile meeting this coming week...here's the blurb: Most speakers under $3000/pr. are stand mounts,
the VR-22s are floor standers.
Most speakers under $3000/pr. have thin walled cabinets,
the VR-22s have triple walled cabinets joined with constrained layer damping.
Most speakers under $3000/pr. are built overseas with cheap Asian drivers,
the VR-22s are built in America with European components (Scan-Speak/Mundorf.)
Most speakers under $3000/pr. have a 90 day warranty,
the VR-22s come with a 90 day in-home trail.

Come hear Albert Von Schweikert demo them on Wed. Sept. 19th (6 PM) at Stereo Unlimited on Sports Arena Blvd.
He claims they'll offer deeper bass and more dynamic range than the Magico minis.
Should be interesting!:D

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
What Andre, you can't take the heat, LOL. It was ONLY 106 today when I went to Poway to take my kids for music lessons:D

BTW, I believe the new VS speakers will be at our a'phile meeting this coming week...here's the blurb: Most speakers under $3000/pr. are stand mounts,
the VR-22s are floor standers.
Most speakers under $3000/pr. have thin walled cabinets,
the VR-22s have triple walled cabinets joined with constrained layer damping.
Most speakers under $3000/pr. are built overseas with cheap Asian drivers,
the VR-22s are built in America with European components (Scan-Speak/Mundorf.)
Most speakers under $3000/pr. have a 90 day warranty,
the VR-22s come with a 90 day in-home trail.

Come hear Albert Von Schweikert demo them on Wed. Sept. 19th (6 PM) at Stereo Unlimited on Sports Arena Blvd.
He claims they'll offer deeper bass and more dynamic range than the Magico minis.
Should be interesting!:D

Man it was a damn scorcher...the hottest I can remember since
moving here in 2003.

Oh, yes, I saw the email. The few times I heard VS speakers
with tube gear they sounded very good to me.

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010
Jonathan, please don't get what i am saying wrong. I really do think that your little speaker is a very good buy for the money....possibly the best buy for the money on the market. But like all speakers, it has its pluses and minuses. I'm sure you would agree that there are several speakers available that are better than it is; including up your own line. To compare it to the Magico Q1 isn't IMO a fair fight, firstly if we discount the price difference( which I know is hard to do as I happen to think like Steve that the Q1 is way overpriced) the little MM1 still comes off second best...
To be quite honest, when I heard it the first time, I commented to Kevin that I thought there were issues with the tweeter ( too bright and hard sounding for my taste) and that I also heard the speaker straining in the bottom end and into the lower mids. I'm not saying this is a flaw with the speaker, it just happens to come along with the territory of this size/type of speaker ( which again, I'm pretty sure you have taken care of as one goes up your line)
One thing for sure, I would suspect that the little MM Micro One would sound better than the KEF that was suggested earlier. But let's take the Q1 out of this discussion shall we....:)

Sorry, won't be at RMAF this year, otherwise I would stop by for another pleasant and informative chat with you.

Hi Davey,

I totally disagree with you. We should absolutely keep the Magico and any other 20k+ loudspeakers in this discussion. FORGET PRICE, it has nothing to do with reality.

Davey, I invite you to listen again. I really believe you might feel differently if you gave them another chance. Since you can't make it to RMAF this year, go listen at Kevin's house. Please consider this an open invitation.

BTW, Kevin, who you know is a professional trombonist will be happy to play along side the MMMicroOnes. Feel free to bring your guitar. :)

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010

We do get some of our hottest weather in August/September...
Just glad it wasn't HUMID :eek:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing