Chop

Aug 9, 2020
England
Nice theory...

Reactions: Bobvin

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
today my Etsuro Gold moving coil cartridge arrived. it's been playing about 45 minutes on the CS Port turntable.

first blush:

i'm sort of blown away. i am hearing textures and fine gradations of information i don't believe i've heard before. an ease and flow i don't think i've heard. my system is set up to be a conduit for all the musical information. this might be what i had in mind.:)

just wow!

seems to be very synergistic with the low pressure, low flow, linear tracker on the CS Port and the CS Port phono stage........

https://etsurojapan.com/product/gold

View attachment 60390 View attachment 60393
Hi Mike,
Eventually I got the opportunity of auditioning the Etsuro Gold in an home environment yesterday!

20210403_152936~4.jpg

The pairing phonoamp was the new Mk3 of EMT66 :

20210403_144623~2.jpg
20210403_144641~2.jpg

In one sentence :
It is the BEST and most allrounded stereo cartridge I have ever auditioned!

Big congratulations!!!

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Hi Mike,
Eventually I got the opportunity of auditioning the Etsuro Gold in an home environment yesterday!

View attachment 76679

The pairing phonoamp was the new Mk3 of EMT66 :

View attachment 76680
View attachment 76681

In one sentence :
It is the BEST and most allrounded stereo cartridge I have ever auditioned!

Big congratulations!!!
thanks CK.

i look forward to more feedback. over the last year i'm sucked deeper and deeper into my vinyl.

exciting to hear about the Mk3 of the EMT66 too.

Reactions: 108CY

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Nice CK! In my house my dCS Rossini DAC has been sitting by waiting for a turn, but night after night I play my Etsuro Gold(mg) and have no desire at all to go for digital. I find myself playing albums all the way through, both sides, because in so many cases I am hearing so much more “music”... flow, liquidity, texture, nuance. Even my wife is spending more time listening! Did I mention my big smile? :) The Etsuro Gold is really the top of the mountain. What a view!

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
My friend with Montagna and Goldmund bought Etsuro Gold but he prefer a little more his Atlas Lambda sl
He has AF3P with Elite 12” with Etsuro gold and Atlas Lambda sl on Phanthom 3 9” so Etsuro is on a better arm,but he prefer Atlas
For lockdown i cannot go to listen,i will go

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
My friend with Montagna and Goldmund bought Etsuro Gold but he prefer a little more his Atlas Lambda sl
He has AF3P with Elite 12” with Etsuro gold and Atlas Lambda sl on Phanthom 3 9” so Etsuro is on a better arm,but he prefer Atlas
For lockdown i cannot go to listen,i will go
Cartridges are hugely personal Gianluca as you know only too well! I hope to hear the Etsuro Gold one day...

Reactions: hogen and 108CY

marmota

Feb 3, 2016
@Bobvin Just noticed that you write "Etsuro Gold (mg)"...what does "(mg)" mean? Is it a special version of the Etsuro Gold? If so, what are the differences between it and a "regular" Etsuro Gold?

Just out of curiosity btw, but couldn't help but notice it, the Etsuro Gold is already one of the most (if not the most) "exotic/special" cartridges out there.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
@Bobvin Just noticed that you write "Etsuro Gold (mg)"...what does "(mg)" mean? Is it a special version of the Etsuro Gold? If so, what are the differences between it and a "regular" Etsuro Gold?

Just out of curiosity btw, but couldn't help but notice it, the Etsuro Gold is already one of the most (if not the most) "exotic/special" cartridges out there.
My version of Etsuro Gold is result of prototype efforts with different wire and motor/suspension. It is an improvement over the “stock” Gold.

Reactions: marmota

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
More controlled bass, perhaps a bit deeper. More texture and nuance. More delicate highs. Tough to offer more, I’m not a reviewer, and did not here them both side by side on identical setups.

With Etsuro Gold(mg) in my system a lot of records with what I perceived to be ‘muddy’ bass have become listenable, and delightfully so. It has been wonderful to realize where I thought maybe my acoustic remodel wasn’t all it should have been — the issue was my analog front end just wasn’t able to sort things out.

TLi

May 27, 2016
Got my Etsuro Gold yesterday. Mount it up and this little piece of gold really sings immediately, very good sound indeed. All the best qualities are there which I don't need to repeat.

The only complain is the mounting distance. The screw holes are too far forward. I can't reach the required overhang even if I put the cartridge all the way to the front. It is 1mm short. A friend who tried to mount the Gold on a Graham Elite arm also found the overhang was about 1mm short. The shortcoming can easily be overcome by moving the arm base back a little. It is not a problem.

IMG_5876.JPG

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
Got my Etsuro Gold yesterday. Mount it up and this little piece of gold really sings immediately, very good sound indeed. All the best qualities are there which I don't need to repeat.

The only complain is the mounting distance. The screw holes are too far forward. I can't reach the required overhang even if I put the cartridge all the way to the front. It is 1mm short. A friend who tried to mount the Gold on a Graham Elite arm also found the overhang was about 1mm short. The shortcoming can easily be overcome by moving the arm base back a little. It is not a problem.

View attachment 78061
Looks great! Can you tell us how the Graham Elite Compares to Sat tonearm?

TLi

May 27, 2016
Looks great! Can you tell us how the Graham Elite Compares to Sat tonearm?
I have not tried Etsuro Gold on Graham Elite yet. It will be moved over when I have around 50 hours burn-in, probably during this weekend.

I have done some comparisons on 12" Graham Elite with 9" SAT on Air Force Zero using Koetsu Tigereye Diamond and Ortofon MC Century. With its basic configuration, ie original Graham wand and Graham phono cable, Graham Elite is no match with SAT. Sound from Graham is a lot dimmer and less dynamic, but it has a smoother presentation.

The wand was later upgraded to TechDAS Titanium wand, this enhanced the sound significantly. It was more lively and dynamic. The gap between Graham and SAT was reduced. Recently I changed the phono cable to Nordost Odin 2 phono+, this latest plus version further reduced the gap. They are now very close in their performance. The slight difference are SAT has higher resolution and tighter bass. Graham has smoother sound and more lay back presentation. Both are very present and the difference is not large.

Whether the difference is larger with Etsuro Gold, I don't know but will find out soon.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
WOW, the Mk3 EMT phono looks amazing. sound much different to mk2?
Difficult to tell exactly what have been improved because we didn't have a Mk2 to do a direct comparison.

I guess German people/EMT are reliable, they won't launch a new model unless there has been significant upgrade.

BTW I heard that the Mk3 is extremely short in supply.
Is it because of EMT being acquired by Thales? I am not sure.

Reactions: XV-1

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I find it hard to tell a big difference but the mk3 certainly sounds very good.

Howie, you have both or upgraded to mk3 ? sweet. I will have some large amounts of hand luggage to smuggle back if I ever visit you or @Tango 's place :p

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Howie, you have both or upgraded to mk3 ? sweet. I will have some large amounts of hand luggage to smuggle back if I ever visit you or @Tango 's place :p
No but I had the Mk2 for a while (no more as it got traded in for the Zanden). I'm not sure I would bother upgrading to mk 3 if I had the mk2 but never a/b them back to back.

Reactions: thekong and XV-1

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
tonight i've been listening to the CS Port tt/Etsuro Gold; nothing particularly unusual. using some cables here and there that are place-holders......so expectations were muted. and i've had a "suspension of disbelief" high point in my music reproduction listening experience. maybe just a case of the media rising above all else. i don't know. i know i've played this pressing before and liked it.

The L.A.4, Concord Jazz CJ-18, 1976 pressing. don't think it's direct to disc....but sounds like it......it's a mid 70's quasi-fusion record that just is very real sounding.

the (kettle?) drum solo on 'St. Thomas' cut one on side 2 is epic. the whole album is remarkable. the Etsuro Gold just digs deeper and deeper and i was stunned. it starts innocently enough, but then something spooky starts going on and these guys just rock. and 'these guys' are pretty good.

https://www.discogs.com/LA4-The-LA4/master/420365

View attachment 60840

I won this LP both on second hand for 10 euro its beutifull performance ambiance recording pressing a delicate album...

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing