Esoteric Grandioso T1 turntable arrives; G1X Master Clock coming.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Mike,

Not sure if this is helpful but Mike Burns of Wolfsong Audio, my setup guy, uses an app that allows him to place his iPhone on the platter and it registers the precise table speed.

My great suspicion is that this would be something Esoteric would excel at given their well-regarded digital and master clock heritage.
personally; i honestly don't give a rip about measuring speed on my tt, although it's helpful when Fremer does it since i view him as balancing listening and data appropriately. but many do like measuring. in a thread like this where the product claims high ground on the speed and steadiness issues, as well as all the creative tech at play, i respect that those who can't hear it for themselves, are curious about the tech and measurements.......THEY WANT PROOF. or evidence. or some data to jump on.

i did read Fremer's viewpoint about phone app tt measurements in the comment section of his Shaknspin review. he does not regard them highly. and i don't even think about them at all. no worries.

Reactions: Lee

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Curious that you ask technical details and videos about the Esoteric and always refused to share details or insided pictures of your own turntable.
glad you asked that. i resisted.
Yes, but commonly they show us many internal photos and even diagrams, surely keeping the unique proprietary aspects of the equipment.
that too.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
personally; i honestly don't give a rip about measuring speed on my tt, although it's helpful when Fremer does it since i view him as balancing listening and data appropriately. but many do like measuring. in a thread like this where the product claims high ground on the speed and steadiness issues, as well as all the creative tech at play, i respect that those who can't hear it for themselves, are curious about the tech and measurements.......THEY WANT PROOF. or evidence. or some data to jump on.

i did read Fremer's viewpoint about phone app tt measurements in the comment section of his Shaknspin review. he does not regard them highly. and i don't even think about them at all. no worries.

I am considering a Shaknspin. I wonder what the metrics on the Caliburn would be.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
this is Mike’s thread about his turntable. No one wants to read about my stuff here.

Not true. People are addressing other interesting subjects and comparing different approaches to turntable design.

David made 14 of his turntables and sold 12 of them, keeping two. I think his business is a little different from Esoteric.

A little? ;)
I understand why you want to know more about my timetable.

Or any top of range equipment. Audiophile curiosity. The fact that you are permanently comparing it to others increases it.

Mike tried to buy one twice.

My mouth will always be shut about my deals and private contacts with David.

my system thread is the place to discuss it. Not here. You can go back to July 2022 on my thread and read all sorts of things about the American Sound turntables.

In fact, we had some interesting technical details in a David thread. Technically what I read in your thread was much less that what I knew from past threads.

More information on my system thread than anywhere else on the Internet.

Sorry, IMO not true again. Some threads and sites have more information than yours. Tang had some very interesting information but withdrew it a few days after he posted it.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I am considering a Shaknspin. I wonder what the metrics on the Caliburn would be.

Unfortunately it does not measure the amplitude and spectra of rumble - IMO one of the more important parameters to differentiate top turntables.

scericson

Sep 11, 2018
just read this review for the second time. all Michael's thoughts mirror my experience. this is a very special turntable which to my ears does not have a 'sound', rather it just achieves musical truth and does not ask the listener to settle. the arm your choose will take you as far as it can on the T1. and the more i listen to the T1, the more i appreciate it.

his first few paragraphs refer to other 'new' tt's from other manufacturers that don't really bring anything new to the table (pardon my pun), then states plainly that 'that' is exactly what Esoteric has done, which is something really new and has executed it remarkably well.....in Grandi-oso fashion. saying and doing are different things.
Fremer's review appears to have been removed. I am getting the 404 error at this link.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Fremer's review appears to have been removed. I am getting the 404 error at this link.
that link is dead now. someone else had posted it,.

September 23' Absolute Sound, page 90. print and digital subscription. i only get the print version.

no on-line link at this time i am aware of. but one might pop up at some point after a time.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Enjoying a new to me (arrived from Germany this afternoon) 72' Decca box set pressing of Mahler 8th Symphony, George Solti, Chicago Symphony Orch.......on the Esoteric T1 with both the FCL/Etsuro Gold and Tocsa/DaVa. to my untrained ears it's just a wonderful immersive musical ride. touches all the bases. wonderful vocals and performance. great relaxing afternoon performance after my weekend of football watching.

some serious lower octave stuff going on here....... :cool:

recorded in Vienna, even though it was the Chicago Sym Orch.

IMG_1040.jpeg

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Enjoying a new to me (arrived from Germany this afternoon) 72' Decca box set pressing of Mahler 8th Symphony, George Solti, Chicago Symphony Orch.......on the Esoteric T1 with both the FCL/Etsuro Gold and Tocsa/DaVa. to my untrained ears it's just a wonderful immersive musical ride. touches all the bases. wonderful vocals and performance. great relaxing afternoon performance after my weekend of football watching.

Peter might have slept through one of the performances of this there at that same time. :rolleyes:

some serious lower octave stuff going on here....... :cool:

View attachment 119878

Mike, this is great music. It was recorded in 1972. I was certainly going to the symphony at age 10 in my Brooks Brothers Blue Blazer and tie sitting in an upper balcony, my brother and I between my parents . I was too young to remember this specific concert, but yes if there, it is very likely I dozed through some of it. I am still part of the half of the audience that wears a jacket and tie. Some habits die hard.

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Mike, this is great music. It was recorded in 1972. I was certainly going to the symphony at age 10 in my Brooks Brothers Blue Blazer and tie sitting in an upper balcony, my brother and I between my parents . I was too young to remember this specific concert, but yes if there, it is very likely I dozed through some of it. I am still part of the half of the audience that wears a jacket and tie. Some habits die hard.
:) i deleted my comment regarding you since as i looked further it was recorded in Vienna, not in Chicago. but your response is appreciated.

agree 100% on the great music comment.

Last edited:
Reactions: PeterA

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
A great recording, performance and interpretation of M8,...enjoy!

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
We could talk Mahler all day long (and longer),....A long time favorite Mahler 8th and a bit of a sleeper in that not enough people talk about it is this (please excuse the cover saying CD as this is a turntable thread). A great recording if you can find it on your desired format:

1699975356466.png

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
We could talk Mahler all day long (and longer),....A long time favorite Mahler 8th and a bit of a sleeper in that not enough people talk about it is this:

View attachment 119892
thank you. listening to this now on Quboz 24/96. :)

i've become a Mahler fan the last few years, and fleshed out my vinyl Mahler collection recently.

Last edited:
Reactions: SCAudiophile

plasmod3

Aug 28, 2020
What did happen to freners review of the t1? I see it has been taken down!

theophile

What did happen to freners review of the t1? I see it has been taken down!
There is nothing wrong with your eyesight. Which reminds me of a joke.

A man is sitting in bed reading a book. His wife is in bra and undies standing looking at herself in a full length mirror. She turns one way then the other. "Oh! I'm so old fat and ugly!". She turns to her husband scoldingly saying "Can't you pay me a compliment?". Without missing a beat her husband said "Darling, you have excellent eyesight".

• Haha
Reactions: No Regrets

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Works fine for me :p

theophile

Rave review. Good to see that it isn't priced in the multiple hundred thousands.

Reactions: hogen

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing