Esoteric Beethoven SACD set

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Bob, do you truly think that I (or many others here) don't know that lots of recordings are made using DSD and then downsampled to produce redbook files for CD production? Every hybrid SACD contains both a DSD and a CD layer (even if the original recording was made in PCM). Telarc is certainly not the only company that has recorded in DSD. Telarc is not even releasing any more new SACDs since being bought out by Concord.

Lee

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
If my MacBook Pro is any indication, your fears are well founded. It plays regular CDs fine, but will not play these hybrids. Yet my venerable Sony CDP-X55ES from mid '80s plays them fine.

Will it not extract the data to hard drive Roger? I have no interest in actually playing the optical disk.

Tim

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Bob, do you truly think that I (or many others here) don't know that lots of recordings are made using DSD and then downsampled to produce redbook files for CD production? Every hybrid SACD contains both a DSD and a CD layer (even if the original recording was made in PCM). Telarc is certainly not the only company that has recorded in DSD. Telarc is not even releasing any more new SACDs since being bought out by Concord.

Lee

Yes Lee; many people don't know.

And not only that, but not all CD layers from Hybrid SACDs are created equal (different recording machines and different processing). Some CD layers are from completely different masters.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
OK, I now give up. Bob, it would behoove you to not assume you're in possession of privileged information. Your statement about CD layers encoded in DSD was the only reason I entered this conversation, because it was a misleading and poorly-worded declaration. Please be careful to post correct information.

Lee

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
OK, I now give up. Bob, it would behoove you to not assume you're in possession of privileged information. Your statement about CD layers encoded in DSD was the only reason I entered this conversation, because it was a misleading and poorly-worded declaration. Please be careful to post correct information.

Lee

I sincerely apologize for any misinformation Lee. I am here to discuss with other fellow members and to be corrected whenever possible.
I share what I know and what I believe from what I've read; and if I made an error(s), please know that I am not perfect and I love to learn from people who know more than myself.

I will try very hard to weight every single word in my phrasing so that they are the most accurate possible and easily understood by all.

I am so sorry, and I feel so incompetent.

Roger Dressler

Industry Expert
Aug 4, 2011
Oregon
Do you have any other SACDs to try it out with?
Not sure to whom this is addressed. I have several SACDs, but no interest in ripping the CD layer, as that a) defeats the purpose in listening to the hi-res track, and b) misses out on the 5.1 mixes, which sometimes (but unfortunately not often enough) sound better than the stereo mixes.

If I did want to rip them, I'd use my trusty Dell as always for that.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have several SACDs, but no interest in ripping the CD layer, as that a) defeats the purpose in listening to the hi-res track, and b) misses out on the 5.1 mixes, which sometimes (but unfortunately not often enough) sound better than the stereo mixes.

This is why i buy SACDs from Analogue Productions or other well-regarded companies even though i am currently 16/44.1 only...i figure for a few more bucks i have a higher-res version for when i eventually go server with a hi-res DAC. In some cases, i have also come across SACDs where many people have commented th CD layer was superior to, say, the 1999 CD which means i can get an immediate improvement on the 16/44.1 layer as well.

Roger Dressler

Industry Expert
Aug 4, 2011
Oregon
The “problem” with a lot of classical recording is that a symphony orchestra with the size and the style of the romantic area plays Beethoven as if he was a nephew of Wagner.
He wasn’t.
Try a small ensemble playing with the instruments and the playing technique of his time like: http://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Symphonies-Overtures-Classical-Norrington/dp/B00005A9O0
When we learn to read the Constitution as intended I'll start listening to performances with period instruments. :rolleyes: :D

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I just ordered the '63 karajan SACD remaster of the 9 Beethoven symphonies...cannot wait to hear!

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
The “problem” with a lot of classical recording is that a symphony orchestra with the size and the style of the romantic area plays Beethoven as if he was a nephew of Wagner.
He wasn’t.

No, but if Beethoven was alive I bet you he would prefer his music to be played on a modern orchestra. Beethoven used to ruin pianos by smashing them and kept yelling at his orchestras to go louder, louder. He pushed the boundaries of all his instruments to the point of breaking. And some of us think it is a good idea to go in the opposite direction - where we have the resources to create giant, compelling sound, like what Beethoven would have wanted - to go back and create emasculated, plink-plonk sound?

As Mahler said, tradition is slovenliness. Listening to Norrington or Gardiner perform Beethoven on a tin can orchestra might be amusing, but Norrington will never rank among the great Beethoven interpreters.

tonmeister2008

WBF Technical Expert
Jun 20, 2010
Westlake Village,CA
Does anybody have any opinions on these performances and recordings:

http://www.elusivedisc.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ESOSA90061&utm_source=email&utm_medium=special

$300 for the set is fairly steep, and without assurance that the remastering has produced something special.... well, no sale.

Lee

At Christmas, I bought myself this recent set from Riccardo Chaiily based on the glowing reviews. The tempos are brisk but the performances are inspiring. Current price is $42 on Amazon.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing