Pink Floyd: The Wall Double LP 180g

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
welcome Dre. What is your standard pressing ? For me, it's a toss up between Japan first issue and CBS Mastersounf 1/2 speed mastered.

I'd also throw in the EMI/Harvest pressing :)

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Just a quick listen so far, but I find the CD remaster unremarkable FWIW.

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
welcome Dre. What is your standard pressing ? For me, it's a toss up between Japan first issue and CBS Mastersounf 1/2 speed mastered.

Rockitman, I will check when I get home but it’s a standard US run-of-the-mill pressing that happens to be a pretty good one. I have a Dire Straits LP, again standard pressing, that is surprisingly good as well and seems to perform better than the UK pressing. I don’t know if these are lucky finds but they are keepers for sure.

Dre

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
Welcome to WBF Dre!

Gang, I think everyone will appreciate Dre_J's insights...great taste in music and tremendous technical insights into music. Plus a great ear.

Jazdoc, thanks for introducing me to WBF. Hope to get out your way soon. Just need to figure out how to get away from work for a bit.

Dre

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
Could the fullness be brought about by a small amount of harmonic distortion in the standard pressing?

Lee

Hi Lee, I thought about that last night but two things from memory kept coming up. The helicopter sound, in the standard pressing, had more of the higher pitched whining sound of air that you typically hear where the new 180 gram pressing seemed to suppress that more so. Additionally, the beginning of Mother on the standard pressing displayed a good bit more of the guitar’s harmonic structure, detail in finger movements, and decay. It sounded more real and harmonically complete to me. The new 180 gram pressing seems to capture more of the fundamental and less of the lower level detail of the guitar work on that track. It is a much warmer pressing IMO.

I like your question and observation. I really can’t answer the question but the above is a report of my quick findings that I hope are useful.

I still like the new pressing for its different presentation and still encourage anyone planning to get it to go ahead and do so.

Dre

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I saw that too ;) Sourced is one thing; keeping it in the analog domain is another. I'd think that they would say all analog pressing. It's like the Wish You Were Here. Supposedly it's analog but it sure doesn't sound like it was.

Sourced is another way of saying that they are cutting the analog master from digital file that was made from the master tape. Why didn't everyone snap up the anniversary edition that actually was cut by Doug Sax from the master tape?

Ptplayers

Feb 14, 2011
I bought this record from Amazon and after listening to 2 songs from the first side i packaged it up and sent it back .

Very disappointed with the sq as it sounds so compressed and compared to my old copy which blows the new release away .

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I bought this record from Amazon and after listening to 2 songs from the first side i packaged it up and sent it back .

Very disappointed with the sq as it sounds so compressed and compared to my old copy which blows the new release away .

Some very different opinions here. ....I'm confused!

dennisE

Jun 20, 2012
Reno
I wished I had read this thread first but my old WSWH was old, really old, noisy and scratched. My DSOTM has been missing for years so I bought both remasters copies 180 g from Music Direct and I was so disapointed. They sounded washed out, flat soundstage, weak dynamics. For me, unlistenable, that bad. Honestly, no better than the Itunes digital versions of singles I have. I will not purchase any more 180g remasters without clear recommendations.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
I wished I had read this thread first but my old WSWH was old, really old, noisy and scratched. My DSOTM has been missing for years so I bought both remasters copies 180 g from Music Direct and I was so disapointed. They sounded washed out, flat soundstage, weak dynamics. For me, unlistenable, that bad. Honestly, no better than the Itunes digital versions of singles I have. I will not purchase any more 180g remasters without clear recommendations.

Welcome to WBF, Dennis! There is a huge database of recordings and quality issues for various issues here! Take a look around and you'll be amazed!

Lee

dennisE

Jun 20, 2012
Reno
Thanks Lee, I will
I accidently discovered this site a few weeks ago on some Google search and walked in to a discussion about British sports cars, Lucas Electric and the demise of the British automanufacturers. I laughed and laughed. I also owned one, a 1967 MGB-GT, in college and I understood immediately. The posters on this site know their stuff and are funny too. A combination I can't resist.

D

Ptplayers

Feb 14, 2011

Thats why im glad i bought miine from Amazon as there are no questions asked when returning .

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing