Esoteric Beethoven SACD set

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
I see nothing compelling here. Old EMIs and 'decent' performances by an old hand. They would have to be outstandingly luminous recordings (and in multichannel) to interest me in these performances. Solid, Mittel-European but so what?

Kal

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Here's an SACD set combining great performances and superb recording. I was equally impressed with their Piano Concerto #4. The tone quality of the piano really got me.

This Set has been recommended already by I believe Ron Party. OMG! The sound is glorious and the dynamics I-N-C-R-E-D-I-B-L-E. The performances are very good. There could be debates and arguments over about specific pieces ... The Symphony #6 for example could be more restrained IMO or more descriptive. I would have preferred a more pompous and luscious Symphony 9 Or .. Or...
A superb effort with great sonics ... Will trump on this aspect alone most any Beethoven one is likely to hear... Highly recommended.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
When they say "hybrid," they mean there is a redbook layer, right? Does anyone know if it's the same mastering?

Tim

Hi Tim. Yes, i can personally confirm Hybrids will work in Redbook-only players. The only exception is if your player is very, very old (10-15 years old)...sometimes, they get 'confused' and cannot read the newer hybrid CDs. I had that with a 12-yr old Daewood DVD/CD player that cost like 50 bucks. However, my current Zanden only takes 16/44.1 signals and will read these hybrids.

As for mastering...i would very much like to know as well.

Vincent Kars

WBF Technical Expert: Computer Audio
Jul 1, 2010

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
The “problem” with a lot of classical recording is that a symphony orchestra with the size and the style of the romantic area plays Beethoven as if he was a nephew of Wagner.
He wasn’t.
Try a small ensemble playing with the instruments and the playing technique of his time like: http://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Symphonies-Overtures-Classical-Norrington/dp/B00005A9O0

Very interesting observation. One of my favorite Beethoven conductors is Sir Adrian Boult.. His Beethoven 6 is of that vein ( He recorded it twice with the London Philharmonic Orchestra in 1959 and 1978) both are masterpieces.. IMO the best Beethoven 6th. Will order these Norrington

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Hi Tim. Yes, i can personally confirm Hybrids will work in Redbook-only players. The only exception is if your player is very, very old (10-15 years old)...sometimes, they get 'confused' and cannot read the newer hybrid CDs. I had that with a 12-yr old Daewood DVD/CD player that cost like 50 bucks. However, my current Zanden only takes 16/44.1 signals and will read these hybrids.

As for mastering...i would very much like to know as well.

My only concern is the optical drive in a MacBook reading them to copy to my hard drive. A really fine set of Beethoven symphonies would be a wonderful thing to have.

Tim

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Another thing also to take into consideration:
most Hybrid SACDs have the CD layer recorded from the DSD master (a la Telarc quality CD recordings only), so it usually sounds better than just the regular solo CD version.

* BIS is an excellent record label.

Last edited:

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Another thing also to take into consideration:
most Hybrid SACDs have the CD layer encoded with DSD (a la Telarc quality CD recordings only),
so it usually sounds better than just the regular solo CD version.

HUH??? If it's not in PCM 16/44.1 for CD playback, you can be sure he won't be able to play it from his computer's CD drive.

Lee

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
HUH??? If it's not in PCM 16/44.1 for CD playback, you can be sure he won't be able to play it from his computer's CD drive.

Lee

Oh yes it is Lee, but a la DSD*; with more clarity, details, openness. :b
...Still a PCM 16-bit/44.1kHz recording though.

* The DSD processing/recording method (recording technique from the recording machine) was applied. The CD layer was recorded from the DSD masters.
{You must be familar with Telarc CD only recordings, where you can read DSD on the top front right CD jewel box cover insert, on the sides (both spines), and also on the back, and even on the disc itself, plus inside the liner notes. This Compact Disc was produced from Direct Stream Digital masters made during the recording sessions with the Sony DSD recording system.}

I must have over two dozens various type of CD players (some dating back as far from 1986), and I've yet to find one that doesn't play the CD layer of an Hybrid SACD from my modest collection (500+ or so).

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing