Emotiva buys Bob Carver LLC

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
I hated the Cube. One of the few things he did I really disliked.

Emotiva sells other than Class A/B amps; some of their older and newer amps are other classes, though I am not sure they have a pure Class D amp in the mix.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I believe their highest output amps are Class D. That's why I asked who supplied the modules.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
-- I don't believe Emotiva has ever designed Class D amplifiers; mainly Class A/B, class H (before, at the very beginning, and in their top Amp Series). ...Class G? ...Perhaps.
...In their subs, Class D.

Now they are making hybrids; Class A up to a 'boiling point' like 30 watts or so, then switching bias into class A/B operation.
...From their newer series, and which still have buzzing issues right now, plus a major flaw design before which is been working on right now (bias adjust).

Emotiva is well known for their affordable amps. They are powerful for the price. ...But certainly not for high-end quality sound taste. It's a great alternative for a large clientele.
I can write a book about their amps, but I won't.

Now Emotiva also makes other products; CD players, separate DACS, Surround Sound Processors, Preamps, Speakers, Interconnects, and others.
Here too, money is key, but disappearing real fast as the competition is much more competitive now.
Here too I could write another book, but I won't.

Now tubes are coming onto the equation, and we've heard Keith's (DACMan) comments before from his own personal takes on tube amplifiers and all. ...Right here at WBF (its ink's still fresh, black on white).

What it was, and what it is, and what will be are three different time periods.
The past had its successes and echecs as well. ...That's reality, nothing is/was perfect.
Today has its big problems too, and it is not inviting at all! ...Unless you live in a world of blue kool aid dreams.

Tomorrow? I really don't care as the people behind lost me a long time ago. And it's the people that truly counts in a company; the products are just that, the reflections of their own philosophies, design teams, and business behaviors (advertising, promoting, and all).
And here too I could write a third book, as I know how it is for some people not living in America and who have to sometimes deal with issues, and even for the ones who live right here in the land of the free, but again, I won't.

Conclusion: If you take all the balance of good and bad, you'll end up to where YOU and only you 'think' you are.
And the future is Emotiva's big line; it just don't exist! ...Only the reality of the present and past counts!
And that reality, for me, my own experience, is just a sad souvenir, and I see no brightness in the future, but only dimmed, fading, escaping, fabricating, etc., 'candles'.

This, is my own opinion, based on my vast experience with Emotiva's product owners; their comments, the numerous discussions, the reviews since they first came to market, and even before, plus few products of theirs I still own.
Like I said; not for everyone (not for me anyway, no more, ever!), only for a certain clientele (they have my full respect, of course as always), and it is what it is for each person. ...With all the good, there is always some bad attached to it, more or less, depending of the people behind; their judgement calls, their true integrity, their technical design skills, their implementation, the parts used, the manufacturing premises with the people working there, the money aspect, the promotion aspect (how skillfully implemented), the help provided to their customers (real technical help here, not some fruit loops explanations), and all and all and all .... Again, I could write a fourth book here, but I won't.

...And let's just not talk about their SSPs, and what tubes can do for them!
...And the amazing issues some people had with them, and their CD players, and all.
...Plus that latest batch of amplifiers (XPA-1L Series), with Class A operation and Class A/B switching (monoblocks); with very sad issues. ...Doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that they didn't do a good job. ...And the answers given are totally unclear and contradictory. At the end you just don't know the truth anymore, and who to believe.
Like I said, read very attentively, and you'll find some of the answers right there. ...Answers of deception.
{You guys don't know how many posts and threads were deleted; on the UMC-1 just for example, and others too; I do.}

Some people vote with their wallets (very convenient too as Emotiva products are cheap anyway), me I vote with my brain and my heart. ...Now.

Comes a time (Neil Young) in your life; enough is ....

Last edited:

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
Bob,

You were quite active at the Emotiva forum at one time. I have monitored their forum for some time but am not a prolific poster there.

From reading your post above, have to presume you had some very serious issues with Emotiva products.

I don't want to read an entire book :), but are your comments based on product performance or another issue?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Bob,

You were quite active at the Emotiva forum at one time. I have monitored their forum for some time but am not a prolific poster there.

From reading your post above, have to presume you had some very serious issues with Emotiva products.

I don't want to read an entire book :), but are your comments based on product performance or another issue?

1. I'm still am.

2. You didn't read my post right; you did your own interpretation. ...Your own loss, not mine.

3. My above post is simply based on my vast knowledge on EVERYTHING Emotiva related; their products, the owners, the pro reviews, and the majority of people behind the curtains.
I made it my mission in life to study almost everything there is to know about the company and their people (owners of their products included). ...And that, since the very beginning, about ten years ago or so, and I never rested for all that time, and still not resting. There is much more than just performance and value in this world, and much more than customer service and five-year warranty as well.

-> I said it in my above post; regarding reality which has some good, and also some bad. The balance is up to each individual. My own balance is mine and only mine; and if people ask me about that balance, they're gong to have it straight up from me. ...With facts, proofs, links, and all that jazz. But this thread ain't about that, it's about their acquirement of Bob Carver tube amps division, and all that it'll encompasses eventually.
The future I don't wannatakabout', so any speculation is the same as their SSP, the XMC-1. ...And in my book it is a HUGE joke! ...And that are facts!
But several of their amps are good value; mainly for overall power, and build quality.
...Not perfect though mind you; there are few important things omitted, of course because the price always truly reflect a true reality.

Best regards,
Bob

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
My mistake. Not Class D it is indeed Class H.

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
From the Bob Carver LLC Facebook page.

My cell phone and email has been "lit up" with messages of concern about Emotiva buying Bob Carver LLC. This is a VERY good thing for us. Bob will now be able to develop his great designs with the full engineering support of Emotiva's resources. Before this purchase we were a tiny company with Bob designing, me running all of the operations, sales, purchasing, etc. and two guys building as fast as they could. Now, we have some tremendous resources at our disposal. There are great things coming!! ~Tony

https://www.facebook.com/BobCarverLLC

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Emotiva XPR series amps are Class H. AFAIK no class D stand-alone amps but I did not look at the whole line. Class H varies the supply rails to minimize power loss in the output stage. Depending upon how it is implemented, there may or may not be any power savings from the power line.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
We're talking Bob Carver here right? ...And tubes right? ...And Emotiva right?

In the first page of this thread, in my post #4, there is a link directly related to our discussion; if you didn't keep track with it, and if you're interested in speculating about the future (same as the XMC-1, and other SSPs before they came to market), plus much much much more, I suggest that you read it all, till the very end.

And while at it, check also the thread related to the Emotiva XPA-1-L Class A/AB Monoblock amplifier. ...If it does to you what it did to me, it'll blow you away, like I was so many times before, blew away.

* Emotiva UMC-1 and UMC-200 (SSPs), and the ever talk about XMC-1 (SSP), their CD payers, the CDR-1 and CDR-2, .... the people who are not there any more for various reasons, .... etc.; they definitely need an act of God to resurrect them, or just go the way of the dodo. ...Bob Carver (82) is now entering through a dark door into a brand new world of corporate mistakes and underground secrets. ...Quality control, and forwardness are not Emotiva's best arsenal. But often deceptions and false promises and lies abound.
They are selling, and selling blue kool aid, till you die of euphoria.

Just go there, take your time, be wise, see clearly, and come to your own deductions.
...Make your final balanced judgement based on clarity, through all the disguises and .... I'm searching for the most appropriate words but I'm running short; must be because I am so much in touch with what's going on every single day (for many hours), and for so many years.

Emotiva tube preamps, and amps; good luck!

Oh, and some of you guys I'm sure remembered DACMan, Keith the technical administrator over at Emotiva, a member here; nice guy, very knowledgeable, well spoken, elaborate, technically experienced, and not shy of expressing his own opinions on everything DAC and tubes related.
- I have read all his posts here and over there. He has my full respect to the extent of his own true saying and doing. He's even one of my friends too.

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I wonder where production of Carver products will be done. I have nothing against overseas production by the way. My favorite affordable electronics are Vincent and they are made in China just like Emotiva.

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
Emotiva said they will move it from Kentucky to Tennessee. Carver only had two people involved in assembly. Very small operation.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

I haven't read all the posts in this thread. I ask in advance for forgiveness :).. This should be good news but I see some reluctance and even negativity toward the move. Audio is a business. Audio people create a company to make money. As simple as that. There is no guarantee that they will but that is the impetus : To make money. The romanticism about the generous and knowledgeable audio designer in the business just to elevate the art of Audio reproduction may make some happy, warm and more inclined to open their wallet. It changes nothing to fact.
Emotiva seems to be making money by building Audio product at a price point and maybe the quality is there too. I simply don't know and it looks like the audiophile establishment is not to eager to know either. I have not seen many comparison between Emo and other higher priced brands... Not even in Audio Societies...
Emotiva seems to have the wherewithal to stir the pot a lot. They have acquired some powerful intellectual properties with the like of TaCt/Boz and now Carver who remains a formidable designer and they can bring their own manufacturing facility in the process. They sem to be keenly aware of audiophiles quirks too. I wouldn't be surprised that they do a General Motor or Harman in their line up .. Emotiva would be the equivalent of Chevrolet ... Carver and Tact would be their Cadillac.

The Carver acquisition is a smart move IMO. Emotiva is a company to watch.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing