Emotiva buys Bob Carver LLC

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
Emotiva has been in negotations for quite some time and has purchased Bob Carver LLC.

Bob will remain head of R&D, manufacturing will be done in Tennessee and some of Bob's ideas will make it into Emotiva gear as well.(a tube preamp?)

The official announcement hits in a few days.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Emotiva has been in negotations for quite some time and has purchased Bob Carver LLC.

Bob will remain head of R&D, manufacturing will be done in Tennessee and some of Bob's ideas will make it into Emotiva gear as well.(a tube preamp?)

The official announcement hits in a few days.

Is this a late Aprils Fools joke?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Is this a late Aprils Fools joke?

Andre, you haven't been around long enough to know Dan. What Wizard is to photos, Dan is our industry insider. Plus he lives in Maui and is now happily retired

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Andre, you haven't been around long enough to know Dan. What Wizard is to photos, Dan is our industry insider. Plus he lives in Maui and is now happily retired

Oh I have no doubt..I am just stunned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't tell you how much I love the Carver Black Magic 20 wpc amp I have hooked up now. It IS magic.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
IIRC EMOTIVA must have recovered from its hate of tubes.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
-- They are just reborn again, resurrected.

* They have to, the XMC-1 is still lost in the dust of time. ;)
...An ephemeral illusion, the blue kool aid of pretense dreams...
...Like a false effervescence.

Last edited:

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
He has been active seemingly forever and has given personal service to his customers. I guess Bob is going to slow down now. About a year ago, my SO had a question about her Sunfire tube preamp, and Bob sent a personal reply to her and as I recall, he mentioned that he was 83 or 84 years old at the time. Not too many manufacturers would do that. Kudos to Bob Carver.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Welcome back Dan. Hope you don't blow any more fuses so we won't miss you for another year! LOL!

Jeez, guess what? I just flew in from Maui to Oahu a few hours ago. I spent four days with the wife and kids in Wailea!

Back on topic, I guess we won't be seeing as much tube bashing from our Emotiva residents from now on. :p

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
-- ...From Mr. DACMan (Keith). ...Technical inspector Clouseau (administration) over at Emotiva headquarters. :b

* Did he really bash tube amps?

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) Back on topic, I guess we won't be seeing as much tube bashing from our Emotiva residents from now on. :p

Jack,

You wrote my thoughts before I had time to do it ...

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
How many businesses is Carver going to start and then sell?? I thought this business was his 'retirement' gig and he was having fun with it. I don't even see how Carver tube amps fit with the Emotiva brand.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
How many businesses is Carver going to start and then sell?? I thought this business was his 'retirement' gig and he was having fun with it. I don't even see how Carver tube amps fit with the Emotiva brand.

Uhm, yeh, and was there not an Emotiva rep on here lambasting tube amps? Awkward!:eek:

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Uhm, yeh, and was there not an Emotiva rep on here lambasting tube amps? Awkward!:eek:

Yes, there was an Emotiva rep on here dissing tube amps. Emotiva's niche is being a "giant killer" and selling what they portray to be as SOTA SS gear at bargain basement prices. People who buy Emotiva gear want to believe they are buying Rowland, Boulder, Pass Labs, Krell, etc. (pick your favorite SS high-end brand) sound quality for next to no money. How Carver tube amps fit into that business model is beyond me.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Yes, there was an Emotiva rep on here dissing tube amps. Emotiva's niche is being a "giant killer" and selling what they portray to be as SOTA SS gear at bargain basement prices. People who buy Emotiva gear want to believe they are buying Rowland, Boulder, Pass Labs, Krell, etc. (pick your favorite SS high-end brand) sound quality for next to no money. How Carver tube amps fit into that business model is beyond me.

It is possible they are looking for "audiophile credibility". I've never heard Emotiva gear, but I can see
why their rock bottom prices might appeal to some.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I always thought that Emotiva tried to copy more than a little of the McIntosh look.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing