EMM DAC2x or Rowland Aeris?

musicargyle

Jan 28, 2013
Quick question: Just spinning rebook CD's using an Esoteric PO-3 transport: Would the EMM labs DACx2 or the new Berkeley Audio Alpha 2 Ref DAC be on the short list for a replacement DAC (between $10-16K range.) Not overly found of thin sounding DAC's & cherish liquid musicality vs analytical detail. I have the Rowland Aeris DC which is a good DAC for sure but I will be running the DAC via a preamp so the volume control is not important. Thanks

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Quick question: Just spinning rebook CD's using an Esoteric PO-3 transport: Would the EMM labs DACx2 or the new Berkeley Audio Alpha 2 Ref DAC be on the short list for a replacement DAC (between $10-16K range.) Not overly found of thin sounding DAC's & cherish liquid musicality vs analytical detail. I have the Rowland Aeris DC which is a good DAC for sure but I will be running the DAC via a preamp so the volume control is not important. Thanks

Hi Musicargyle...I have been waiting for others with more experience to weigh in here (I have not heard the equipment you mention), but have not seen anyone post on either of your threads so here goes...

You have one really good DAC already...I have communicated in the past with Roy Gregory over a number of years, and he has always been very generous with his time and advice. I know he really, really likes the Aeris and considers it top shelf stuff.

Although I honestly can say nothing about how Aeris would compare to your choices...instinctively I feel like if there is a difference, it might not be that great...some might even prefer your Aeris (its that good according to Roy).

What is it that leads you to contemplate a change? Just curious...

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I would add the Allnic DAC to your list given your sound objectives...it's hard to beat tubes/transformers for liquid musicality...

musicargyle

Jan 28, 2013
Honestly I am interested in knowing if there is a bit more air, space and nuance one might find w/o giving up the wonderful musicality the JRDG DAC produces. After having made a few changes it recent days and thereby brings out a wealth of detail & space that I had not heard before. In fact it has renewed my love of the system. Still as a likely last move in my equipment upgrade I wonder what margin of improvement a different DAC might yield? The Rowland DAC has a great outboard power supply & the case work is remarkable so I have to agree it's a wonderful DAC at its price point. Thanks all.

Last edited:

Audioseduction

Dec 6, 2010
FLORIDA
I would add the Allnic DAC to your list given your sound objectives...it's hard to beat tubes/transformers for liquid musicality...

I would add the Bel Canto DAC3.5VB MKII to your list.

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
Bel Canto has announced their new *.7 series of DACs, and while they are not yet shown on their website they are mentioned on their Facebook page. My understanding is that the DAC 3.5 can be updated to the 3.7, but the lower models (1.5 and 2.5) cannot be upgraded to their .7 versions. Their website should be updated soon with details. I know it's subjective and only cosmetic, but I think that their new faceplate design is much more attractive than the previous one.

Audioseduction

Dec 6, 2010
FLORIDA
Bel Canto has announced their new *.7 series of DACs, and while they are not yet shown on their website they are mentioned on their Facebook page. My understanding is that the DAC 3.5 can be updated to the 3.7, but the lower models (1.5 and 2.5) cannot be upgraded to their .7 versions. Their website should be updated soon with details. I know it's subjective and only cosmetic, but I think that their new faceplate design is much more attractive than the previous one.

Thanks for the info!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing