EMM DAC2x or Berkeley Audio Alpha 2 Ref.

musicargyle

Jan 28, 2013
Quick question: Just spinning rebook CD's using an Esoteric PO-3 transport: Would the EMM labs DACx2 or the new Berkeley Audio Alpha 2 Ref DAC be on the short list for a replacement DAC (between $10-16K range.) Not overly found of thin sounding DAC's & cherish liquid musicality vs analytical detail. I have used/borrowed the Rowland Aeris DC in by system which is a good DAC for sure but I will be running the DAC via a preamp so the volume control is not important.
FYI I had the berkeley Alpha 2 circa 2011 edition & it was very nice but a bit washed out & thin to my ears & system. Thanks

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Quick question: Just spinning rebook CD's using an Esoteric PO-3 transport: Would the EMM labs DACx2 or the new Berkeley Audio Alpha 2 Ref DAC be on the short list for a replacement DAC (between $10-16K range.) Not overly found of thin sounding DAC's & cherish liquid musicality vs analytical detail. I have used/borrowed the Rowland Aeris DC in by system which is a good DAC for sure but I will be running the DAC via a preamp so the volume control is not important.
FYI I had the berkeley Alpha 2 circa 2011 edition & it was very nice but a bit washed out & thin to my ears & system. Thanks

The Computer Audiophile who found the EMM labs DACx2 to be better than the Berkeley Alpha 2 thinks the new Berkeley Audio Alpha 2 Ref DAC is much better than either. If I remember correctly, he does think that the EMM labs DACx2 is a bit 'thicker' sounding, see the comments section under his review of the Berkeley Ref DAC:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/c...dio-design-alpha-dac-reference-series-review/

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA

I think MSRP is a poor predictor of performance in these days a fast innovation in digital technology. I owned the EMM Labs, and replaced it with the more expensive MSB DAC (which sounded a lot better than the EMM Labs in a direct shootout). Then I picked up the new $6K PS Audio Directstream which was within striking distance of the MSB (if not equivalent on many sources), so I sold the MSB. One could make the inference the PS audio beats the EMM Labs....

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I've been on the side lines regarding digital, but just read Harley's review of the Berkeley REF DAC in TAS. I'm beginning to wonder if a decent transport or computer plus the Berkeley Ref DAC could compete with something much more expensive like the Vivaldi stack. It seems like there are some real digital advancements right now.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The Computer Audiophile who found the EMM labs DACx2 to be better than the Berkeley Alpha 2 thinks the new Berkeley Audio Alpha 2 Ref DAC is much better than either. If I remember correctly, he does think that the EMM labs DACx2 is a bit 'thicker' sounding, see the comments section under his review of the Berkeley Ref DAC:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/c...dio-design-alpha-dac-reference-series-review/

Al M,

I would be happy if you listen to Alpha 2 Ref DAC in your system and report in WBF someday - I could not understand what the author meant in the section "Classical music" of the review.
As Berkeley Audio uses lead in their solder they are forbidden in CE.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I've been on the side lines regarding digital, but just read Harley's review of the Berkeley REF DAC in TAS. I'm beginning to wonder if a decent transport or computer plus the Berkeley Ref DAC could compete with something much more expensive like the Vivaldi stack. It seems like there are some real digital advancements right now.

It is curious that magazines never ask and answer these logical questions during a review. :) They prefer to let it to the reader imagination.
Curiously DCS tells us all about the technical aspects of their top DAC, even showing detailed photos of the circuitry. The Computer Audiophile review leaves us in the dark - everything is mysterious and proprietary.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing