Elon Musk plans to get humans to Mars in six years

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
? http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world...ars-in-six-years/ar-BBwHUWH?OCID=ansmsnnews11

Colonizing Mars in 10 years? Elon Musk plan is doable, expert says.
________

Musk made it clear that he wants to make a 'ticket to Mars' within reach for many people, aiming to bring the price down to US$200,000 – or the median cost of a house in the US.

But one qualification might set a potential Mars explorer apart from your average Joe looking to vacation on the red planet: a required comfort level with a grand adventure that has quite a high chance of ending in death.

"The first journey to Mars is going to be really very dangerous," Musk said. "The risk of fatality will be high, there’s just no way around it."

Musk added that he would not suggest sending children on the journey.

"It would be basically: are you prepared to die? And if that’s ok then you’re a candidate for going."

Setting up shop on Mars isn’t going to be a cakewalk. The first human beings to set foot on the planet will have to deal with an onslaught of radiation, solar flares, weak gravity, frigid cold, and even toxic soil. But according to Musk, it’s worth the risk to become a multiplanetary species.

"This is less about who goes there first," Musk said. "The thing that really matters is making a self sustaining civilisation on Mars as fast as possible. [It’s about] protecting life, and ensuring that the line of consciousness is not extinguished which I think is incredibly important."

And beyond the basic incentives, like colonising a foreign planet and saving humanity from an impending extinction event, Musk says the trip to Mars will be "an incredible adventure".

"I think it would be the most inspiring thing that I can possibly imagine," he said. "Life needs to be more than just solving problems every day. You need to wake up and be excited about the future, and be inspired, and want to live."

According to Musk, this mission is not only about "minimising existential risk", but also about "having a tremendous sense of adventure".

_________

?? http://www.theverge.com/2016/9/27/13058990/mars-mission-spaceship-announced-elon-musk-spacex

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I'll bet he's not taking that first trip to Mars. He's too smart for that. He's too busy carrying that wheel barrow to the bank with all of those paid in advance $200,000 tickets of those who will be going.

16hz lover

Aug 2, 2013
A place that has no sustainable atmosphere for us ( take your helmet off and your blood will boil within 2 minutes ). Low end estimate of the costs involved 30 Billion- the same amount to end starvation on Earth 6d728f203db846689c0f120e3ac0e4f1.jpg

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Elon Musk, and most multi trillionaires and billionaires are not concerned about children dying on our own planet.
Elon Musk, like Steve mentioned above: "He's too busy carrying that wheel barrow to the bank with all of those paid in advance $200,000 tickets of those who will be going."

He is not thinking about ending starvation; he's a money collector from the people who are ready to die...he's a salesman of very expensive tickets to hell. ...Like the devil. :b
Watch what he's saying in his videos; it's all there...very clearly evident...he has a hard time articulating because he has no clue what he's talking about other than filling the coffins of his own bank accounts.

It's just too funny what some people are trying to sell to other people. ...Here a trip to Mars, with all expenditures and risks to consider.
But many people aren't afraid to die; they're in it for the ultimate adventure. Can we blame them? Oh yes we can. In particular with that photo you posted above.

16hz lover

Aug 2, 2013
I am a huge astronomy fan, and find space exploration fascinating, but we already know there is no practical place nearby to inhabit with our latest discoveries. So logic and rational thinking suggests that every human on the planet should have food, clothing, and shelter first. Having 20K people die each and every day, year after year, defines insanity.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I absolutely irrevocably agree with you.

It is much easier to waste trillions of dollars on obsolete designs and structures and skyscrapers than protecting our planet and its closest environment and its people living on it.
Oil affords luxurious pollutants on all life aspects...air, brain, food, extravaganza.

It is an impossible challenge/task for man to save his own planet and his own people and his own sanity.

I give you a simple example: just tune in to the latest news right now. I won't mention them because I have a little discomfort right now in my chest, and those news are all related to bad dictators, bad leaders, bad business deals, bad companies, bad designs, incompetence, lies, secret profits (financial), ...all that bad jazz.
What we need is less drug lords, less oil magnates, less corrupted officials, and more power to the real brain.

We just don't get it, and look @ us, look @ where we are, and look @ our rich neighbors from Abu Dhabi and Dubai...how they spend their trillions from the oil in the ground.
We are the ones who are poor and starving...for sanity. The kids they look @ us and they are scared.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
HI

I'll take the bait ... :)

Curiosity is part of our DNA. We evolve because we're curious and we look for things outside our reach, our realm. That is what man do. that is what we've been doing through the ages.
We have reach a point where we are certain that some material we need could be more abundant out "There". Those are among the reasons why we explore. We are timidly and in a very expensive fashion exploring space and we will go there sometimes, perhaps soon. For now it is stupendously expensive and lengthy. Some intrepid people perhaps stupid, perhaps intrepid, stupid and rich may try at great cost. Once there is the shred of a reward, money will pour in and many barriers will fall...
As for the cost. We are expert in diverting funds toward non rational endeavors, rational decisions are not humans forte :). Our priorities are not always well placed: Worldwide Military expenditures were about 1.71 Trillions (!!!!) of US dollars in 2014 ... $30 billions, an amount estimated to end hunger on Earth represents less than 2% of this ... Just one example.
Oh Yeah! We'll go to Mars and we will soon exploit Asteroids... When and how, I wish , I knew. The physics are difficult but do not suggest impossibility even with current technologies.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
No doubt the guy is brilliant, but while has car business is bleeding billions in cash he is making highly questionable investments in solar, and fantasizing about flying to mars. Sounds like a reality distortion field equivalent to Steve Jobs on LSD. I suspect serious money can be made shorting this his enterprises.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing